About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

[3.] Chinese Altar: Altar Dimensions combined with an Ancestor Altar. What to look out for?

Cecil Lee

• Staff

These are some considerations:

1. A traditional altar arrangement.

chinese-altar-dimensions.jpg

1.1. This is a typical set-up where there is
(a.) a Deity (e.g. Goddess of Mercy)
(b.) a Ancestor tablet. 

1.2. What makes this altar table unique is that when standing facing the altar, the Deity must always be on the Right and the table raised at his area.

1.3. The ancestor tablet sits on the left and slightly lower.

2. What are the altar dimensions?

2.1. Standard height for any altar:

125cm to 128cm. If a piece of glass is to be placed on the altar, then go for 125cm.

2.2. Width depends on your needs: 18cm to 23cm or 40cm to 43cm or 59.5cm to 69cm

2.3. Length: 41cm to 43cm or 59.5cm to 69cm or 71cm or 89cm or 107cm or 148cm

3. What if I am buying an off-the-shelf commercially made altar. Do I need to look out for anything?

3.1. Majority of those off-the-shelf altar cabinets should already have proper altar dimensions.

3.2. Thus, just buy one and use it.

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

• 11 years later...
Sponsored Link

Guest Wilson Tang

Hello, pls I need help for dimension for wall altar for my Guan Gong with top enclosure. Meaning it will be something like a box mounted on the wall. Length Width Depth Height. Thank you

• Staff

1. Previously, I have seen ready made wall mounted ones. Slightly rounded and functional. Go check around.

2. Altar Dimensions: Can be used for the “box”...

Standard height for any altar: 125cm to 128cm. If a piece of glass is to be placed on the altar, then go for 125cm.
Width depends on your needs: 18cm to 23cm or 40cm to 43cm or 59.5cm to 69cm
Length: 41cm to 43cm or 59.5cm to 69cm or 71cm or 89cm or 107cm or 148cm

• 3 months later...
  • Cecil Lee locked this topic
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Staff

Master Lee, just to check with you. If we want to get the Buddha statue or any Chinese god statues, can the statue move in on the same day same timing with us or the status have to be in the new house earlier then the move in date? 

Usually preferred in the same day or once settled down then bring in. If earlier...not too early... at most a week earlier 

E9FA79C2-968A-4B5B-A406-C1674D14054C.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Staff

This is purely common sense!

Why is there a minimum height for a Chinese altar?
Those that were bought commercially has a height of around plus minus 126cm.

If tailor made, remember to try to add the table top glass piece (if there is one) and agin best height to 126cm.

The reason for doing so is to avoid the occasional “monster” if any that may roam free in that house.

Okay, one should not call them “monsters.” As they are suppose to be cute and cuddly.

But rather, these kids may be too young to understand the consequences of what they may or may not do.

Here goes:

Good Morning Master.

I would like to check with you whether for my wife's altar, is the following altar height acceptable to be done? Because my wife feels that 125cm is a little too high 😅

Height 107.5cm
Width 43cm
Length 89cm

the purpose of this also has to do with common sense.

As by then a child is already "grown up" not to be able to swipe the altar items

A9335B94-D2A0-43C5-83DE-A43FE21ADCAE.png925CDDFE-F747-439A-828E-B8F415C6BD3C.png

3F3FFA8D-10D7-4042-A2DA-788E01A989CB.pngA518B330-B333-4717-9C87-811AB4AE666B.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

image.thumb.png.f928e06f8862bb530b813a7f219eb469.png

Morning Mr Lee, sorry to trouble u again for my guanyin altar… I send u the measurements can advice? Thx 

Ours is a wall mounted altar.. width 480mm ,depth 400mm , height 600mm can? So I can proceed to do this measurements?

Reply: The above are Good measurements. However, height if not look odd is best to be multiples of 43 cm x 2 etc....

image.thumb.png.eeb7bc87eefeaf50b2c24b02db24fd58.png