About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Front Door directly facing neighbors door

myfs_139411

Dear Master,

Our Main Door faces the Main Door of the opposite house. Our main door is facing North and my husband and I are East group persons. Right now, nobody lives inside the house opposite us, i think for more than 5 years already. Since we're also repairing our external door, is there a cure or a way to prevent absorbing the Sha Chi being absorbed from the opposite house?

Here's the illustration:

Legend:

- represents main external door
----- broken lines represent the perimeter wall
|| - represents the electrical post/transmission from the national power corporation

B - opposite house (facing South)
---||-------
/|\
|
|
\|/
------------
A - our house (facing North)

Sponsored Link

• Staff

1. Frankly, for us Chinese; it is considered as easy as ABC.

2. For example, being a culture of more than 5,000 centuries old; Chinese consider both RED colour auspicious. And in addition, RED is considered the most yang colour amongst all other colours.

3. Thus, in a situation where a home; for example faces a cemetry, red brick wall does the trick or hanging an "ang chai" or a lovely red "flowing" cloth a the main door is considered both auspicious and during Chinese new year, the act of lighting up fire-crackers at the main entrance area is to create yang qi and ward off "evil or bad luck!".

4. Reference:

http://forum.geomancy.net/phpforum/article.php?bid=2&fid=23&mid=7286&new=

5. But for other races or non-Chinese; these are not part of your culture, so perhaps, if you are able to control a light directly outside your main entrance, could turn it on most of the time. For example, nowadays, there are more and more commercial LED lights: Philips Decor brand to Ostram to Powerpac etc...

6. And I checked one of the Philips Decor light that I had bought a year ago, it only consumes 1 (miserly) watt - so a great way to using "yang" energy for this purpose.

7. For non-Chinese, if para 5 is feasible, this would be the most effective by turning on an LED be it cool day or warm day light coloured lights - OK.

8. Alternative, if this.. Para 5 cannot be done or Para 3 is kinda odd for non-Chinese then... these are the least "intrusive" - and no need to use such things as a ba gua mirror which is equally totally non-Chinese.

9. Usually, if there is nothing "unusual" you could always remain status quo : the saying goes: "If it ain't broken, don't fix it"

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Dear Master.

Thank you for the advise. My main door is facing north(isnt it that the North is an element of water?), if I paint the main door and the perimeter wall to be red, will it be clashing with the water element?

Also, if i put in a light at both sides of my main door, should I still have a spot light flashing over the neighbor's door opposite our house?

• Staff

Susan J. wrote:
Dear Master.

Thank you for the advise. My main door is facing north(isnt it that the North is an element of water?), if I paint the main door and the perimeter wall to be red, will it be clashing with the water element?

Huh?

I strongly recommend you to read this most recent posting:-

http://forum.geomancy.net/phpforum/article.php?bid=2&fid=1&mid=26874&new=

D. While the "method" where North = water element ; thus paint the door blue or South = fire element etc... are too general - and is like applying Kindergarten type of Feng Shui.

Also, if i put in a light at both sides of my main door, should I still have a spot light flashing over the neighbor's door opposite our house?

Frankly, I think it is already an over-kill.

It is akin to I recommend e.g. eating an apple a day. And you come up with eating two apples and even a pineapple a day.Don't you think it is an over-kill.Especially placing a spot-light aimed at your neighbours door.

Hope you don't mind - no offence: it is like many of the more thrifty people would say "Toorich is it? Nothing else better to spent or save the money".

• Staff

One more important point is that nowadays, governments and individuals are trying to reduce as much of their carbon footprint when we are around.

And adding two lights and worse a spot-light especially if they are turned on 24 hours... is being truly unkind to the world today... It is best to re-think the senario.

I am truly afraid, current LED technology, especially the low wattage ones cannot "act" like the spot-light.

By the way, approximately more than 500 cars pass by our door on a daily basis.

I have 2 gates as the external door, one for the main entrance, another one for the car park. Does this mean I should install 4 lights. Should both these be lighted as well? 24 hours?

------ Door
---------Driveway Door
---------

Legend:

- represents lights

--- represents the perimeter wall

• Staff

Photo showing the "Red Banner" some Chinese place above their main entrance door.

1. Some Chinese place this red banner across (in-front) of their main door all year round.

2. Some place this red banner (some with wordings) a week before Chinese New Year and remove the banner roughly in two weeks time.

3. Red signifies auspiciousness to the Chinese.

4. There is an Indian temple facing this home and it is one reason why this Chinese home place it all year round at their main entrance area.

5. The RED banner is more popular with the Hokkien (Fujian) Dialect group.

• Staff

1. Frankly, in my whole life of existence; so far, in Singapore, I have never seen anyone staying in a landed property turn on so many lights or even a single light during the day time or for that matter 24 hours as shown in your picture.

2. Really, honestly, this is something new or unheard off in my part of the country. And during my travels overseas: Malaysia, Australia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand, Chinaetc... hmm...

3. Luckily, there are few or perhaps, you may be the only one; doing so.Perhaps, in Singapore, the only ones doing so are those shadowy people who place two red lanterns and most of them do so only at night i.e. the brothels of Singapore in Geylang (red light district).

4. The only other time when most homes light up light a Christmas tree is often half an hour before Chinese New Year as many landed properties turn on all lights in the garden, in all areas of the home. Wow! or Gosh! or Goodness me!

4. In addition, your carbon footprint on this earth is another consideration.

5. If your opposite neighbour's home is a mirror image of yours, with the same roof structure, etc... in my opinion, there is such thing as "squaring off" or neutralising each other. It is not like your neighbour's home has a pyramid roof aimed at yours and your home does not have it - is totally different from what I understand from your message.

6. Frankly, I thought I seen it all, but truly this is an overkill, indeed.

Dear Master,

We turn on the lights only from when it's dark, normally from 6pm until 5am the following day.

I would like to seek clarification of my understanding of your advise through illustration provided.

1) In such case, are you recommending to remove all the lights and just leave 1 at the center of the wooden door? or place only a "red clothing in front of the wooden door will do?

2) Do you have any cure for the carbon footprint? Please advise. Thanks.

• Staff

Susan J. wrote:
Dear Master,

We turn on the lights only from when it's dark, normally from 6pm until 5am the following day.

I would like to seek clarification of my understanding of your advise through illustration provided.

1) In such case, are you recommending to remove all the lights and just leave 1 at the center of the wooden door? or place only a "red clothing in front of the wooden door will do?

1. Please re-read my earlier posting:

Posted on: Tue, 19 Jan 2010, 22:00 PM,

"5. If your opposite neighbour's home is a mirror image of yours, with the same roof structure, etc... in my opinion, there is such thing as "squaring off" or neutralising each other."

2) Do you have any cure for the carbon footprint? Please advise. Thanks.

2. Must there be a cure for everything? Clue? " Within your own control"

3.Use your fingers to do the walking by going to any search engine(s) an d type "carbon footprint".

• 3 years later...
  • Staff

Very common for many Chinese homes/apartments to hang a Hokkien "ang chai" or "Hong Cai" above their main entrance...

Hong Cai symbolises: Happiness and Luck especially to the Hokkiens.

Often placed during move-in to a new home, during Chinese New Year or rather changed every new year. And for a wedding / newly wed couples. Even placed for a birthday.

On 1/18/2010 8:44:47 PM, Anonymous wrote:
Photo showing the "Red Banner"
some Chinese place above their
main entrance door.
1. Some Chinese place this red
banner across (in-front) of
their main door all year
round.
2. Some place this red banner
(some with wordings) a week
before Chinese New Year and
remove the banner roughly in
two weeks time.
3. Red signifies
auspiciousness to the Chinese.
4. There is an Indian temple
facing this home and it is one
reason why this Chinese home
place it all year round at
their main entrance area.
5. The RED banner is more
popular with the Hokkien
(Fujian) Dialect group.

img_6981.jpg

img_6982.jpg

• 4 years later...
Guest Anonymous

Hello Master, we are experiencing somewhat the same situation but for several years we've been living in our neighborhood there is this one thing that bothers us.. We don't want to think negatively about this but we just want to make sure. Our neighbor's front door has this mirror like a red  bagua that is facing our main door as well. And it is like sucking all the luck that will come our way.. Is there anything we can do to neutralized it? We don't want to give any harm in our neighborhood we just want to neutralized every thing.. Thank you so much for your help

• Staff

Frankly, there are so many versions of Ba gua mirrors.

Assuming it is this kind of red mirror:

IMG_0032.thumb.JPG.5b96a59f90af0f46d017c5d5a313ca14.JPG

There is the concave or conVEX version.

Others include trigram symbols on the outer rim combined with a circular mirror : flat, conCave or conVEX.

It would be good if there is a photo of it. Else dangerous to give a "what if" advice..

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hanging “auspicious” red banners at restaurants and coffeeshops

This is equally popular in homes or businesses.

Typical: A Hokkien traditional. “Ang cai”. (Red banner)

60A006CB-C161-42D8-BF4C-55707733D741.jpeg

Above: Melben Signature @ Tanjong Pagar

9699CC4A-3B11-4033-9FDA-B523CD203089.jpeg

EF04FEAC-28B9-4333-A478-37912C2641A4.jpeg

Also typical to hang two red lanterns or a pair of them:-CB1CD62B-AA67-4360-86FB-330A2CB61D82.jpeg

Above: Coffee shop at Toa Payoh Lorong 1.

005A62F3-CD1B-4CFF-98D4-E6751AF36702.jpeg

83BC828B-0CEE-4E96-AF88-F8CFD609B3BE.jpeg

• 11 months later...

Just a very noob question on the main door facing. Whenever people refer to the main door facing e.g. North, where is the position of him standing? In the middle of the house? Standing in the house facing the main door or standing outside the house facing the main door?

This Question Has Been Bugging Me Ever Since I Got My Keys To The House

• Staff

These are some considerations:

1. In theory, the technique or direction is: standing inside the main door looking out.

stand inside main door looking outwards1.png

Note: He is standing inside the main door looking outwards

2. One can still stand e.g.. somewhere in the house but equally facing in the same direction of the main door. 

2.1. Please refer to this sample layout plan:

656034095_STANDINGINSIDETHEMAINDOOR.thumb.png.1da3f33e960cf2224f9e8457fe38fdea.png

2.1 One should be standing inside the main door at "A" looking out towards B. For example, if the reading is = 200 degrees.

2.2 Then logically if one stands at the other two areas: one at the middle of the the living room looking towads B. Won't it also the same or = 200 degrees? etc..

2.3 Most compasses are sensitive to embedded reinforced metal rods that taking a reading so close to one side of the wall may skew the compass readings.. etc.. This is not covered in this discussion.

3. However, if you have the time, do click this link to have an in-depth understanding of the Frontage of a home. Here, the frontage may or may not automatically mean the main door:-

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...