About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Gui Men? Placing Altar?

myfs_132584

Hi Master Lee,
I have read following: "in Taoism, chinese customs and Geomancy Theory the NE and SW are considered as Gui Men (ghost door / negative direction)."
I read also "in Geomancy Theory and chinese customs it is always
recommended placing home deities altar facing N or S and never facing
NE or SW".

Since you are an expert in Geomancy I have 3 questions:

1. are they true or not? (from geomancy's view)

2. can talisman of chinese deity (fu) block the negative energy from those directions entering the house if one places the talisman on the door? Or is there other geomancy/fengshui method?

3. if a house sits in subdirection (e.g. NW thus facing SE), the house will have N or S direction at corner. Is it ok to place home deities altar at corner N or S? Usually the chinese people place their deities altar with a plain wall behind it and not a corner.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Anonymous wrote:
Hi Master Lee,
I have read following: "in Taoism, chinese customs and Geomancy Theory the NE and SW are considered as Gui Men (ghost door / negative direction)."
I read also "in Geomancy Theory and chinese customs it is always recommended placing home deities altar facing N or S and never facing NE or SW".

2. can talisman of chinese deity (fu) block the negative energy from those directions entering the house if one places the talisman on the door? Or is there other geomancy/fengshui method?

3. if a house sits in subdirection (e.g. NW thus facing SE), the house will have N or S direction at corner. Is it ok to place home deities altar at corner N or S? Usually the chinese people place their deities altar with a plain wall behind it and not a corner.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

FULL MESSAGE QUOTE

Anonymous wrote:
Hi Master Lee,
I read also "in Geomancy Theory and chinese customs it is always recommended placing home deities altar facing N or S and never facing NE or SW".

1. My earlier resources written around 1997 on Devil's gate can be found under this link:-

http://www.geomancy.net/resources/art/art-gate.htm

2. Do a SEARCH under this forum for devil's gate or north-east and you will also find many questions and replies on this subject.

3. A specifically design and built home should if possible avoid the altar at the NE and SW "facing or sitting" direction. Many churches are aligned North-to-South. And in the past, some temples and even many other religious buildings not necessarily temples face North or South or vice-versa.

4. Under the Indian Vastu (Indian form of Feng Shui):

4.1. A Puja or Pooja

In the past, many Indian homes have a room specific for containing lots of Indian figurines and religious items. Under Vastu principles: it states that it is best to avoid the Indian religious puja located at NE and/or SW. Nowadays, some Indians don't use a Puja or room anymore, they simply have an open altar.

5. In modern times, where many e.g. Singaporeans can only afford to buy an apartment. And there are not many "real-estate" e.g. a "clean area" to place an altar. And in many instances, some of the altars HAVE no choice but to face NE or SW because as I mentioned, not much "real-estate" as in "clean" walls to place the altar. Unless one is rich enough or is particular about it before purchasing such and such a home.

6. In some of the past forum messages; one can consult a Geomancer skilled in many of such things.. and one of the methods is "hiding" a Chinese luopan horizontal and/or vertical at the altar ... as an example.

7. There are already many limitations to consider for the placement of an altar and I had listed many conditions in the past. For example: the altar cannot share the same wall as the toilet; it should not be facing a toilet or a bedroom etc.. etc.. etc...

8. If one is filthy rich; build your own home; or lookout for such things as a priority before buying such a home.. then.. go ahead... if not; if the location really has to be a NE or SW how?

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

• Staff

1. In the past, many of the earlier temples within the city area; most share a common denominator i.e. many of these temples face the "sea".

2. Thus following the outline of streets; many temples especially in the city area faces South-East= where the sea (used to be).

3. For example, inWaterloo Street;

3.1thepopularKwanIm Temple (Goddess of Mercy) faces SE.

3.2 the Phoo Thor Jee templealso faces SE.

3.3. One of the oldest Thian Hock Keng temple at Telok Ayer Street also faces SE.

3.4. the Yueh Hai Ching temple at Philip street also faces SE.

there are more temples...

4. Basically, some of these temples do not immediately see the sea; but as I had mentioned earlier; the veins of many roads run NE to SW and thus the sea is facing "SE".

5. Some temples do manage to face North to South but these are fewer in the Singapore city area.

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

Pictures of The Phoo Thor Jee Temple: One thing for sure; in my opinion, this temple has one of the largest amounts of figurines outside the temple or literally "facing and greeting" people before they go into the temple.

Furthermore, it has a pair of majestic smiling Qi Lin on both sides of the gate. And another pair of Big, strong Lion figurines, on the other side of another gate.

• 9 months later...