About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Gravel or Pebbles in backyard

myfs_139224

Hi Master Cecil,

I plan to lay gravel or pebbles in my backyard, but people told me not to because of bad fengshui.Having gravel or pebbles in backyard will be bring illness to the house, what do you think about this statement.

I would appreciate your advice on this.

Sponsored Link

• Staff

1. Unfortunately, this is one of the cheapest method of drainage out of the property.

2. The common term is called a "french drain". Some of my recent clients from the US, has mentioned that their developer use this method. I believe it is to save costs as opposed to concrete screeding, then installing gratings above the drains.

3. Frankly, in my opinion, if it is properly done, there should be a problem.

4. The problem often lies withe the clogged drain. As the purpose of the loose grave is to channel water quickly into a cylindrical tube and water is quickly drained off the property.

5. The main concern is that if the entire drain or partial drain is clogged, the gravel will be damp. And often the french drain is used to correct a "cheap situation where, the foundation is lower. And if the drain is clogged; it is both damp and it can also spill water into the basement.

6. Because of this reason, damp gravel if it is damp for too long e.g. 48 or more hours is not healthy as baterial or other organisms may strive.

7. In some homes, septic tanks are close-by and if these do leak and again clogging or semi-clogging the loose gravel, it can be a health hazard.

8. Contrast this with cement screening. Cement floors are "water proof" and baterial free or easy to clean just the surface.

9. Stagnant water collecting in a gravel "or gravel pit" can become stale and the ground especially earth does contain lots of bad bacteria.

10. Therefore, it is more of commonsense than "hocus pocus" type of Feng Shui.

11. Unfortunately, this is the cheapest method in the US, today: I have seen homes that have leaks in the basement in the US. And a drain is dug outside of the home. Large plastic pipes with holes drilled into it is placed lower than the water table or the foundation of a home. And then lastly, a tractor, just pours in gravel and "flatten the land". They call it "cheap and hmmm good?"...

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

• Staff

Further to what I had mentioned, you can read this article:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_drain

This picture shows "A recently completed and poorly functioning French drain after a rainfall.":- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:French_drain.jpg

It is because of the poor functioning of a french drain that causes the gravel covering it to go "bad"....

Many things in nature can easily be approached from a Commonsense approach. And not something mystic or mysterious like some would like us to believe. Or the saying goes.. "beating around the bush"... George Bush?

One more point is that in my opinion, especially in my country, such gravel "pits" are not suited to our climate. And seldom if ever we find this method of drainage. In fact, I would assume that with high moisture content, here (in Singapore) in no time such gravel pits may have a distintive "greenish algae" growth on the gravel..... Yucks!