About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Can I hack the kitchen wall to become an open kitchen concept?

myfs_155711

Dear master,
I just bought an apartment. My wife wants to hack away the kitchen wall and have open kitchen concept. But then the stove would face the open dining area. I have heard from some that open kitchens are not good.
Also my stove can be seated in 2 locations only. One facing the NW, which I understand is the patriach area. The other facing the SW but there is a window there about 4m away.
Thanks.
Lim

Sponsored Link

• Staff

1. Common sense

1.1 In the past, if one has read some of the forum messages; from day 1, I always ask this question first and foremost?

1.2 Has "this" anything to do with common sense?

1.3 Only after having explored Para 1.2 in depth; then one should consider other factors.

2. For example under common sense, there are a host of concerns:

2.1. Locally in Singapore, we often like to use oil to fry as well as cook spicy chilli stuffs etc... And such spices can filter into our nose and mouth and make us quite uncomfortable. And the easiest common sense thing is that many elderly or seasoned cooks would often for this reason, hope to have a kitchen that has a door to close it when cooking such "heavy" duty food.

2.2. Safety concern

Nowadays, many apartments are relatively small and compact. And most of us love to turn on the air con. Beside letting air-con leak into or out thru the kitchen; a door is advisable.

2.2.1 The main reason is, many homes have a corridor leading to several bedrooms. And just imagine if for one reason or another, if the fire suddenly get's extinguished; the gas still flow and such gas could leak into the bedrooms.

2.2.2 In Feng Shui, some say that it is not adviseable to have the stove directly facing a doorway. This is again common sense. For example, put up your hands and tell me how many humans have eyes behind our heads?

2.2.2.1 Some may be cooking and suddenly receive a tap on the shoulder... just imagine.. some people get a fright or shock and perhaps drop or spill hot oil or liquid.

2.3 Frankly, there are many other considerations....

3. Under symbolism in Feng Shui, it is inauspicious to have a stove / oven or sharp objects facing a bedroom door. As the bedroom door is akin to the mouth of a bedroom. And if there is a stove /oven facing a bedroom.. under symbolism; there is a concern of the person in that room catching fever or illness... while sharp objects e.g. above a sink facing a bedroom may result in accidents or "cuts".

4. You brought up the concept of "Fire at Heaven's gate" where it is considered inauspicious to have the stove at NW. There are sufficient resources on this issue.

5. Other considerations again some are common sense include:-

5.1. Avoid placing a stove especially those with a hob on a stand alone island as one has to be careful of the wind (high pressure and low pressure zones) that may blow the fire towards one's stomach area or extinguish the fire.

5.2. Where possible a stove should not be too "vulnerable" to areas where there may be influenced by strong winds (wind vortex etc...)....
6. Thus, you already mentioned the concern of a window at SW. You have to weigh all these into consideration.

On 9/13/2012 3:41:01 PM, Anonymous wrote:
Dear master,I just bought an
apartment. My wife wants to
hack away the kitchen wall and
have open kitchen concept. But
then the stove would face the
open dining area. I have heard
from some that open kitchens
are not good.Also my stove can
be seated in 2 locations only.
One facing the NW, which I
understand is the patriach
area. The other facing the SW
but there is a window there
about 4m away. Thanks.Lim

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Thanks for the advise.
Regarding the stove, actually the stove is actually at the SE side but the knobsare facing NW. Is it consider fire at Heaven's gate.
The other way would be at the NE area but facing a window at SW. But if the window is 4m away, is it ok? Would doing a table top counter in between help?
Thanks.
Lim

On 9/13/2012 9:36:06 PM, Anonymous wrote:
1. Common sense
1.1 In the past, if one has
read some of the forum
messages; from day 1, I always
ask this question first and
foremost?
1.2 Has "this" anything to do
with common sense?
1.3 Only after having explored
Para 1.2 in depth; then one
should consider other factors.
2. For example under common
sense, there are a host of
concerns:
2.1. Locally in Singapore, we
often like to use oil to fry
as well as cook spicy chilli
stuffs etc... And such spices
can filter into our nose and
mouth and make us quite
uncomfortable. And the easiest
common sense thing is that
many elderly or seasoned cooks
would often for this reason,
hope to have a kitchen that
has a door to close it when
cooking such "heavy" duty
food.
2.2. Safety concern
Nowadays, many apartments are
relatively small and compact.
And most of us love to turn on
the air con. Beside letting
air-con leak into or out thru
the kitchen; a door is
advisable.
2.2.1 The main reason is, many
homes have a corridor leading
to several bedrooms. And just
imagine if for one reason or
another, if the fire suddenly
get's extinguished; the gas
still flow and such gas could
leak into the bedrooms.
2.2.2 In Feng Shui, some say
that it is not adviseable to
have the stove directly facing
a doorway. This is again
common sense. For example, put
up your hands and tell me how
many humans have eyes behind
our heads?
2.2.2.1 Some may be cooking
and suddenly receive a tap on
the shoulder... just imagine..
some people get a fright or
shock and perhaps drop or
spill hot oil or liquid.
2.3 Frankly, there are many
other considerations....
3. Under symbolism in Feng
Shui, it is inauspicious to
have a stove / oven or sharp
objects facing a bedroom door.
As the bedroom door is akin to
the mouth of a bedroom. And if
there is a stove /oven facing
a bedroom.. under symbolism;
there is a concern of the
person in that room catching
fever or illness... while
sharp objects e.g. above a
sink facing a bedroom may
result in accidents or "cuts".
4. You brought up the concept
of "Fire at Heaven's gate"
where it is considered
inauspicious to have the stove
at NW. There are sufficient
resources on this issue.
5. Other considerations again
some are common sense
include:-
5.1. Avoid placing a stove
especially those with a hob on
a stand alone island as one
has to be careful of the wind
(high pressure and low
pressure zones) that may blow
the fire towards one's stomach
area or extinguish the fire.
5.2. Where possible a stove should not
be too "vulnerable" to areas where there
may be influenced by strong winds (wind
vortex etc...)....6. Thus, you already
mentioned the concern of a window at SW.
You have to weigh all these into
consideration.On 9/13/2012 3:41:01 PM,
Sean Lim wrote:
Dear master,I just
bought an
apartment. My wife wants
to
hack away the kitchen wall and
have open kitchen concept. But
then the stove would face the
open dining area. I have heard
from some that open kitchens
are
not good.Also my stove can
be seated
in 2 locations only.
One facing the
NW, which I
understand is the
patriach
area. The other facing the
SW
but there is a window there
about 4m away. Thanks.Lim

• Staff

These are some considerations:
1. You wrote: "Regarding the stove, actually the stove is actually at the SE side but the knobs are facing NW. Is it consider fire at Heaven's gate."
2. Applying common sense; it is similar to this logic:
2.1. I own a home and I stay in it. My earth luck comes from this home.
2.2. I own this home and the entire home is rented out. Feng Shui cannot be based on remote control If you don't stay there, one is not affected by the earth luck of that (rented) home.
2.3. Para 2.2 applies to your above question.
3. You wrote: "The other way would be at the NE area but facing a window at SW. But if the window is 4m away, is it ok? Would doing a table top counter in between help?"
3.1. Only the writer knows what he is exactly writing about, here.
Sean L. wrote:
Thanks for the advise.
Regarding the stove, actually the stove is actually at the SE side but the knobs are facing NW. Is it consider fire at Heaven's gate.
The other way would be at the NE area but facing a window at SW. But if the window is 4m away, is it ok? Would doing a table top counter in between help?
Thanks.
Lim

Hi Master,
The layout is as shown. Thinking of hacking the wall between the kitchen and the dining area.
The 2 stove location are at S1 & S2.
Thanks.

On 9/14/2012 5:54:33 PM, Anonymous wrote:
These are some considerations:1. You
wrote: "Regarding the stove, actually
the stove is actually at the SE side but
the knobs are facing NW. Is it consider
fire at Heaven's gate."2. Applying
common sense; it is similar to this
logic:2.1. I own a home and I stay in
it. My earth luck comes from this
home.2.2. I own this home and the entire
home is rented out. Feng Shui cannot be
based on remote control If you don't
stay there, one is not affected by the
earth luck of that (rented) home.2.3.
Para 2.2 applies to your above
question.3. You wrote: "The other way
would be at the NE area but facing a
window at SW. But if the window is 4m
away, is it ok? Would doing a table top
counter in between help?"3.1. Only the
writer knows what he is exactly writing
about, here. Sean L. wrote:Thanks for
the advise.Regarding the stove, actually
the stove is actually at the SE side but
the knobs are facing NW. Is it consider
fire at Heaven's gate.The other way
would be at the NE area but facing a
window at SW. But if the window is 4m
away, is it ok? Would doing a table top
counter in between help?Thanks.Lim

em_layout.bmp

• 6 years later...
  • Staff

If one has the time, go to google.com and search for :  "Khaw Boon Wan shoebox".

I did so and found .. a snapshot:-

Mar 24, 2017 - Minister for National Development Khaw Boon Wan on Monday said he would not hesitate to intervene should there be clear evidence of ...
Sep 3, 2012 - According to URA data, the number of shoebox units will increase by ... Minister of National Development Khaw Boon Wan had on previous ...
Jun 25, 2011 - With the recent emergence and demand for shoe-box units, the ... said National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan as he urged potential ...
Oct 17, 2018 - In 2012, then-National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan cited the example of the Telok Kurau area which had experienced “a rampant ...
Nov 6, 2011 - the bulk of shoebox units are still uncompleted, noted Mr ... Khaw Boon Wan has sounded the alarm ... larity of shoebox apartments, or. "mickey ...

=================== END =======================

My thoughts on this:-

1. I believe one of the concerns is that of landed properities. 

1.1 As around the year 2011, many developers started to build homes with more and more smaller one room units.

1.2 Not exactly shoebox but coming close to it. Thus the then National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan first voiced his concern on this matter.

1.3 For example, a private condo development called "The Seawind".   What the government was concerned that in a landed property, usually consists of a mix of terrace, semi-detached and bungalows.

3. But once a property the size of one or two bungalows were demolished and rebuilt as a condo private property. It can result instead of say 6 or 8 people living in that bungalow; and if it was a condo; and if there are lots of shoebox homes; it may result in an extra 52 units. If each unit has just 2 persons. Then it may result in at least 104 people living in that same plot of land.

4. And assuming that if just 15 of the residents of that property at Lorong M Telok Kurau, there can be more vehicle noise, traffic jam and foot traffic. Multiply this with many more shoebox developments and such landed property service road can be "land-locked".

5. In a way, it is also "self-preservation". As a higher percentage of many Ministers, high ranking civil servants and many heads of companies stay in landed property enclaves. 

5.1. Thus too many condo/private apartments having lots of shoebox units means more density and disturbance of their "once" peaceful and valuable home. As seriously, to them, it may be felt as a threat of reduced property value. As well as disturbance of qi = poorer Feng Shui.

5.2. Instead of an enclave of low lying homes = maximum of three floors only. We now get a private development with 5 storeys high + another Atrium = 6 storeys high. If too many of these, can affect the wind-flow as well as privacy..especially if their balcony/windows faces their landed property home. Especially if the home is a bungalow house or semi-detached!

6. Frankly, so far, I have yet to come across a shoebox sized home similar to a hotel style single room.. where there is no kitchen. Just a small area above a small fridge for a hot water boiler.  Not an issue, as there are those portable butane gas burners or one cam purchase a small induction stove. If so, no kitchen nevermind. One can still cook, in a room - if one wants to.

7. In my opinion, anything affecting the rich will always be clamped down or pushed aside. For example, there will never be an inheritance tax with our current government. The motto: The rich gets richer, the poor.. well... "die your own business". The rich owns or can easily afford Freehold or at least 999 homes if they want to. The common people... "I can't wait to repossess your 99 year leased homes!".

• 11 months later...
  • Staff

Nowadays the induction hob comes with flexi zone - meaning we can place any nos of pots on it as long as they fit into the hob. For such hob design, how should we count as the hob number?

Common sense says that it is neutral. Why because you can place even or odd ....

The count refers to traditional stoves. Or those with fixed flat hobs / electric or induction....

E7B133F9-563B-4E33-B304-D75C78B5AB40.thumb.jpeg.95899ba497096d1f3432691149bd7207.jpegDF07E787-A665-4400-81E4-45D38F47396F.jpeg.7e4577cfb388413ecffcd07bbc32c8b8.jpeg