About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Role of education in modern times

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Anon,
Yes, Chinese always believe in education for their children. They take lots of pain and even hardship to sent their children to (if they can) to universities.
For example, many children of the lower income are proud to have their children graduating from local universities.
For most Chinese parents, they don't mind working hard (or real hard) to support their child's education. Of course, there are bursaries given by organisations etc..
If I am not mistaken, favourite destinations like Australia, the USA and once upon a time Canada are places where the Chinese students excel. It is because, I believe these children are `hardworking.'
Here, it is my opinion, that some Western parents especially in Australia may not be too happy with it as it pushes the standard of competition (places in universites).
The above is my `superficial' observation only. It is not exactly 100 percent true but just to make a point.
Many universites encourage racial mix as it pushes up the standard of learning and interaction.
In addition the `Traditional' Chinese have a high regards for their elders.
Most Chinese parents hope that their child who later get a good education would `feed' and cloth them when they get old. The filial piety model. This is one of the success factors of the Chinese race.
Usually, if one reads Chinese history, Chinese often do not fight each other. In later half of China history it is usually, the Chinese who fought the Manchus (Mongolia) or external forces. Plus they were forced to react to Japan's domination during World War II and the Japanese Nangking massacre.
Even today, China only `threaten' Taiwan but in my opinion does not believe in resorting to violence.. only threats of `compliance'.
From what I understand, Taiwanese Chinese Feng Shui Masters and those of mainland China uses `purely' the Lunar Calendar System for Feng Shui calculations.
Only those in Hong Kong or Hong Kong practitioners who migrated to Canada or US, I believe mostly use the Hsia calendar system. I generally classify these group of Canadian/US practitioners who `learned' Feng Shui the Western School of Feng Shui.
Traditionally, we would like to spread the use of the Lunar Calendar System due to two advantages:-
1. It can detect `blind' years in the Chinese calendar i.e. years where there are intercalary month or a second lunar month.
This is where, the Hsia calendar system cannot detect. Therefore, there is an inherent flaw in the Xia (Hsia) calendar system in this respect.
Usually, the calculations are similar. But if there is an intercalary month, the Hsia calendar system does not take this into consideration. So the calculations would be `inaccurate' for the Hsia system.
2. The Lunar calendar method is the best of both worlds as it is cross referenced to the Xia (Hsia) for the season of the year/month.
Hong Kong uses the Xia (Hsia) calendar and it is one reason why practitioners who came from Hong Kong practises the Xia calendar system.
3. Usually, many Feng Shui practitioners who use the Xia method, are comparing apple with oranges. They take the Year of birth based on the Lunar calendar but take the month of birth as Xia calendar.
The superiority of the Lunar Calendar method is that if one notices carefully, Year, Month, Day and Time of birth are all based on the Lunar Calendar method.
In my opinion, I would say that the Xia calendar method is a method of convenience. It is still acceptable provided there are no double months in a year else, the reading would differ.
We will continue to promote the use of the Lunar Calendar System, which although is more difficult but our aim is more on accuracy rather than convenience.
Warmest Regards,
Cecil

On 1/2/00 2:06:36 AM, Anonymous wrote:
Dear cecil,
In olden days chinese people
use to give lot of importance
to education since it was
their ticket to becoming part
of the Royal court. Do they
still importance to education
as they use use to give in
olden days. Thanks.

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Dear Cecil
I read with interest your thoughts on Chinese students in Australia.
Without doubt there are those students here in Perth (where there are many chinese students due to its closeness to S.E. Asia) who take off the top places in TEE exams (End of school exams) and University positions. They work hard and are very respectful.
I live in an Estate where many wealthy Chinese live, mainly from Singapore and HK.
It has been my experience just in this small area that these kids are given whatever they want by their parents including BMW and Mercedes vehicles, Honda's etc. They are constantly in trouble with the law, party all night and do drugs and alcohol.
In my street alone are 15 chinese families...some very good friends of mine whose children are fantastic and then there are the ratbags who seem to have lost all their heritage.
Chinese gangs are getting big here and it is my opinion that their parents no longer know how to discipline them.
Just some feedback for you on how SOME students behave once away from their country of origin.
Glyn

• Staff

Dear Glyn,
I totally agree with you with regards to the spoilt brats. Those who are pampered from day one they are born.
These spoilt brats do not generally reflect the majority of children that were brought up `properly'. The good ones have good upbringing, filial piety and good social values.
One worrying trend is the one child policy implemented in China. Wow you should see the one child family. Some of them are so plump! And pampered by their grand parents.
Although one cannot blame China for their one child family due to their size of population. Many parents either abort a baby girl or `kill' them after they were born.
There is an imbalance of births i.e. more boys then girl children in China.
I believe that if one has Chinese students in a school. They may come from Vietnam, Singapore or other countries, ultimately, fortunately or unfortunately, school standards would be raised.
I remembered my English (British) Professors who visited me used to enjoy marking our papers because the passing rate is high. I remembered that consecutively, a few of my friends and me used to get high marks and usually take turns to top the various subjects for the entire course. But I must confess, we put in lots of effort as compared to other students.
Warmest Regards,
Cecil

On 1/3/00 6:13:50 PM, Anonymous wrote:
Dear Cecil
I read with interest your
thoughts on Chinese students
in Australia.
Without doubt there are those
students here in Perth (where
there are many chinese
students due to its closeness
to S.E. Asia) who take off the