About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

What are the common myths about ceiling fans in Feng Shui? Is ceiling fan in the bedrooms OK? How about above my dining table?

• Staff

Case Study 1: Is it okay to install a ceiling fan in the bedroom?

902448206_installceilingfan.thumb.gif.6178aff081a91ad702d3c9b46f070665.gif1. How is it that the Feng Shui Master says it is Okay to install a ceiling can in the bedroom.

2. However, during my house warming; I was surprised and shocked to find so many of my relatives and friends saying that it is inasuspicious to install it!

3. Who should I believe?

4. Are you easily swayed by opinions? "And even may break into a cold-sweat when confronted with such "bad" news?"

4.2. The Three (3) main reasons for ill feelings of installing a ceiling fan in the bedroom are:-

a. It is inauspicious to have the centre-mass directly above one's body especially the stomach area and/or

b. the ceiling can may fall-off!

c. the blades of the fan is like a sha qi or "poison arrows"

2145037369_cannottakecriticisms.thumb.png.bac505a3a65773489fdd22ad37f81a21.png5. If one were to feel very uncomfortable with one or more of the above, then frankly, please don't go and install a ceiling fan.

6. In my opinion, I know of many owners of landed properties, condo/ECs and HDB homes that have installed a ceiling fan in the bedroom.

6.1. In fact, for practical reasons, ceiling fans are quite economical, circulate "wind" over a wider area than a standing fan.

6.2. If one feels uncomfortable with the centre-mass directly above one's "stomach". Then try to install the fan away from that area. 

6.2.1. Nowadays, many ceiling fans especially the DC versions have a smaller centre-mass. Or check out many of the KDK fans. Their centre-mass are usually small and curved shape.

7. Ceiling fan falling off?

7.1, Often there is a tell-tale sign or lead-time before a ceiling fan decides to fall-off. 

7.2. In the event that the ceiling fan does fall off, it should still be held by the wires.

7.3. And even if the fan falls down; the modern ceiling fan blades are no longer made of metal (aluminium) but instead plastic or wood material. Thus non-threatening.

8. Actually when I spoke to many clients. The main reason why they don't like ceiling fans is because of the hassle of cleaning the fan blades! 

9. Anything to do with Common sense?

9.1.  Yes. Not practical to install a ceiling fan in a bedroom with a bunk-bed. Where the ceiling height is low.

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Case Study 2A: Can you recommend a ceiling fan for my bedroom?

1. Often in doubt, install a fan such as this type:-

536771590_ceilingfannolight.jpg.8b0882076eb4e381db5179ab1066c38e.jpg

1.1 Many of the KDK models are streamline and slick.

2. [Below] No issue if the ceiling fan has a single light:-

372616910_ceilingfanwithsimplefan.jpg.7802f0041777add3544d2e1bdd14593a.jpg

3. [Below] This fan is still okay although it has a bigger centre-mass:-

8122017_104917_AM_SA575-ST_prod.png.a88acf1a9ac347f1cab1ffa8f6fdff79.png

4. [Below] The bladless fan is wow.. does not look anything like a fan. It is indeed expensive and not proven. But really no issue if one can really afford it!

exhale-bladeless-150x150.jpg.17290061a6274a7c5c56906975fa2f12.jpg

Case Study 2B: How about designer ceiling fans?

1. A ceiling fan such as below looks more dynamic than the traditional look. However, such fans give it's critics excuse to bad mouth the installation in one's bedroom:-

90690248_sharpbladesfan.thumb.jpg.61684b6cad74812e833360ea1fc8a2e8.jpgInovo-Lumi-thumb-150x150.jpg.c1cd03592c4c80f96e776339c21635b2.jpgDC-159-LED-40-INCH-WH.jpg.8090ef2c35d5d411b9541af046afa5a3.jpg

2. Under symbolism in Feng Shui best to also avoid a fan with hanging multiple lights in the bedroom. Frankly, no issue if it is installed in the living room:-

311710622_fanwithmultiplelights.jpg.dc42697dc39f7298ea93eb39f5a304b6.jpgceciling fans with hanging lights.jpg

2.1. This is because the lights often three (3) or five (5) looks like a person's finger nails or claws aimed down towards the bed.

Case Study 2C: How many fan blades should I get? 3, 4 or 5?

3. There are two view points:-

A. Numerology: 4 blades inauspicous? How about 3 or 5?

911209351_threebladefan.jpg.9cac82248188612e4a7a532784d006cd.jpg1429558073_fourbladefan.jpg.03827e8026582052a947645231a0204c.jpg671832052_fiveormorebladefan.jpeg.a0db380d95ef11777337421ed9d48510.jpeg

- Many Chinese are familiar with number 4 as inauspicious. Thus it is natural to avoid a four blade fan.

- In fact, in Singapore, one can hardly find a four blade fan.

- Majority of the fans are often either Three (3) or Five Blades or more.

B. Common sense: The more blades the more refined the fan is.

- Do you know that expert fan installers would after installing a three (3) blade fan; manually spin the fan slowly and observe any wobble.

Let’s compare it with a car’s engine:

1. In the past a Daihatsu Charade car has three cylinder engines. Even many four cylinder cars engines cannot compare to the smoothest of a V8 or V12 engine.

2. Even with a more refined well known brand like KDK, a reputable installer will often add pieces of weights (much like we do on a car’s tire during balancing).

2.1. Same here. After the installation of say a three fan blade fan, an installer often rotate the fan for a feel if were to add a specific weight to balance it.

3. In theory more blades often means smoother rotations and better wind circulation and less wind vortexes.

4. Many advanced helicopters make use of as many blades as possible.. both for sound dampening as well as smoothness and more airflow for the buck.

• 2 years later...
  • Staff

Case Study 3: Can I install a ceiling fan above our dining table?

1. In recent years, more and more people have installed a ceiling fan above their dining table.

2. Often also on my many Can or cannot buy reviews, some  potential sellers or re-sale homes have one directly above their dining table.

3. Is this a Feng Shui consideration?

4. Frankly, in my opinion, this has more to do with two areas:

[A.] Some degree of common sense
[B.] Past Taboos
[C.] "Bad mouthing"

[A.] Some degree of common sense

4.1 In the past, some people had the belief that food should not be cold or rather, one should consume warm food.

4.2 Thus turning on a fan at the dining table means that often, the food gets cold easily. Thus this can affect the health of family members.

[B.] Past Taboos

4.3 Taboo or belief that serving cold food = loss of wealth or poor financial health.

4.3.1 Frankly, if someone has a strong belief such as things like "poor health" and/or "loss of wealth". It may be hard to shake-off these doubts or beliefs for some of us.

4.3.2 The best approach is therefore to check with immediate family members if they have any concerns (real or unreal) if any.

1895378729_obtainagreement.png.a524046f6e862709952eeb8d8fba2689.png

[C.] "Bad mouthing"

4.4. Master, I installed the ceiling fan based on your advice that it is Okay.

4.5. But unfortunately, I am at a loss now and highly disturbed. This was because my mum, my sister-in-law, my aunties and many of my friends say the same thing: "Very inauspicious to install such a fan".

4.6. Please EXPLAIN!

1465516287_installceilingfanabovediningtable.png.382c5407b76e110cf78ba57e0e4fd77d.png

4.7. An understanding response...

785299977_installceilingfanabovediningtable1.png.522c7bbbb05ee6acd23f23a953a3ef24.png

4.8 [Below] Another Query on this subject matter:-

BFDDC0D2-8786-4C6F-8511-815C37CBC89D.thumb.jpeg.a89701e09c9d085114f00818e0407577.jpeg

5. Feng Shui is about Earth Luck!

6. Like the client's feeling.. "So hot how to eat" ... is based on another form of luck = Man or Human Luck! (Feeling good).

7. Another benefit is that good for air-circulation.

8. In modern times, not only do we have the AC fan. There is another inverter type of fan .. called DC fan.

9. DC fans were invented only very recently. And one good thing about it is that many models can also "suck air" upwards and circulate air towards the side... thus, air or wind is not blown down towards the food.... brillant right?

10. As mentioned, earlier.. as I mentioned, if one's mentality is: "Hey! None of your business! I like to do what I want.. this is my house not yours!" Then go ahead... install that fan.

11. But if one has doubts after installing it.... then do forget having the fan. Alternatively, why can't you don't turn on the fan.. during meals?

12. Oops! But if one is a believer of: " the centre mass is pressing against the dining table... no good right"... then why bother to install that fan?

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Case Study 4A: Alternate Current (AC} vs Direct Current (DC) fans? Any advantages of a DC fan?

dc_motor_fan.jpg.904ed5266a6f070897b8ccf3e1358ac0.jpgThese are some considerations:

1. AC fans have been around ever since electricity has been invented.

2. Generally, some find that DC fans costs more. Thus, in the long term; running costs are cheaper with a DC fan. Thus you do the maths.

3. AC fans can only spin one direction. Thus, the fan blades are optimized to "blow" wind downwards.

3.1. Here, DC fans have a distinct advantage. DC fans can be made to spin clockwise or anti-clockwise. Thus if so, instead of "blowing" wind downwards, it can also be made to "suck" air up to the ceiling. Thus especially if one has a high ceiling; the air can be sucked upwards without still feeling the wind blowing dowards.

4. Any difference with how many blades a fan should have?

4.1. Many ceiling fans have at least 3 blades. Did you notice that many standing fans have more than three blades?

4.2. This has more to do with common sense than Feng Shui. For example, stealth helicopters have many blades some even as many as 6 or more. The more blades, the "smoother" the air flow and noise level.

4.3. This is why, a fan with one blade or two blades often wobbles and makes lots of noise.

4.4. It is similar to a car. A car with 3 cylinders / pistons can make lots of noise. Or how often when a motorcycle pass a person and we can hear the loud sound.

4.5. Contrast this with a car that has 6 cylinders or even 8 cylinders. A modern V6 car will often be ultra quiet compared to a standard 4 cylinder car.

Case Study 4B: In theory, if a ceiling fan can suck up air instead of blowing it downwards, MAY cool more surface area.

1524549544_dcceilingfan.png.6532f73864be170cba88726f926c69cb.png1. For example, if the room has all glass windows.

2. When the fan blade is "reversed" to pull air-upwards.

3. The pulled air will flow from the ceiling downwards as shown in the illustration below:-

4. Although room with afternoon sun and glass windows become a green house effect.

5. Fortunately, glass dissipates heat much faster than a wall soaked with heat.

1196813763_dcceilingfana.png.eae7d3f17ea18f54e1ff1eeee5e07226.png6. Please take note that all AC fans cannot reverse the fan blade flow from say clock-wise to anti-clock-wise. 

7. However, not all DC fans have such a feature.

7.1. If you intend to buy a DC fan, please take note of the above.

8. Imagine also, if one is in the living room. By blowing air upwards, it may or may not work for you.

9. Anyway, if you can still use the normal method of fan circulation if this does not appeal to you...

• Staff

Case Study 5: On 23 December 2019 - Authorities issue safety advisory on 17 models of Elmark ceiling fans, products being recalled.

Source and credit: Todayonline https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/elmark-recalls-17-models-ceiling-fans-due-potential-safety-hazards-enterprise-singapore

B5FCFBD4-6784-4C36-85DD-E42489A7845F.jpegSINGAPORE — Enterprise Singapore on Monday (Dec 23) warned consumers to stop using certain models of ceiling fans by Elmark Marketing, due to safety hazards such as possible electrocution.

Elmark, which distributes fans in Singapore and has a store in Ubi, is recalling the 17 models in question “with immediate effect”, Enterprise Singapore said in its statement.

Other potential safety hazards posed by the fans include the risk they may fall, cause lacerations and fire, the safety authority added.

While Enterprise Singapore has not received reports of injuries, consumers should exercise caution as these ceiling fans did not comply with its product safety requirements, it said.

Consumers should call or email Elmark for further details on exact recall instructions, including how to identify the model number of their products.

86B5F163-25FF-4DE3-9128-BEB07D1589A6.jpegCeiling fans are classified as controlled goods under the Consumer Protection (Safety Requirements) Regulations (CPSR), which means they must be tested to meet relevant safety standards and registered with the authority.

They can be advertised and sold here only when the product has been affixed with a safety mark.

Consumers should look out for this safety mark when purchasing household products, said the agency. They could also search through the Register of Controlled Goods to check if the product is one that is registered with Enterprise Singapore.

Anyone with ceiling fans is advised to contact the fan supplier for checks at least once every two years, not to install the fan on an unstable ceiling or wet and moist area, not to press down on the fan blades during cleaning and to clean them frequently with only warm water.

“Enterprise Singapore takes a serious view towards suppliers who do not comply with the requirements under CPSR and will not hesitate to take action against errant suppliers,” Enterprise Singapore said.

It added that anyone found guilty of supplying unregistered controlled goods is liable upon conviction to a fine not exceeding S$10,000, or imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years, or both.

TODAY has reached out to Elmark for comments. Its ceiling fan models being recalled...

Source & Credit: https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/elmark-recalls-17-models-ceiling-fans-due-potential-safety-hazards-enterprise-singapore

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Case Study 7: Understanding Stagnant Qi and air-flow in a bedroom + any fan can help to reduce this

61229893_CommentsBlossomSpring2.png.9e6184a08bf005e75392c416c20dbf4f.png

1. The illustrations show that often, it is better to place a wardrope at the corner of the bedroom furthest away from the bedroom door.

2. As this has more to do with air-flow into and out of the bedroom.

3. Natural air always follow the path of the lowest resistance which is an opening.

4. BUT, if one turns on a fan to circulate to all areas of the bedroom or turn on an air-con; then what I mentioned above is a non-issue.

stagnant_air_1.gif

stagnant_air_2.gif

• Staff

Case Study 8: "Cecil, Due to low ceiling, we have to cut out the false ceiling like this to install the ceiling fan. Is this ok? The yellow region is the false ceiling."

A7D33CD1-190D-45AC-9368-14C6244CBD1B.jpeg

1. These false walls are non-load bearing. Thus scientifically no issue.

2. But what may matter if one has friends or family members make nasty comments that it is not good to say sleep below it since now the master bed is below a "beam". 

3. Then don't later ask me.. why 6 out of 10 people say no good. You say can. If so, then please don't ever install the fan.

4. Common sense: if there are gaps in the hole... may be happiness for several lizards... that's all.

E01796D3-08A1-4F1F-A21C-4B852AAAABC0.jpeg

• Cecil Lee pinned this topic
  • 6 months later...
  • Staff

Case Study 10: Eyewitness: Ladder slipped & hit spinning giant ceiling fan in Tampines coffee shop causing it to collapse

Okay, these are exceptions then the norm. 

Homes don’t use such types of extra large ceiling fans.

The cause was the fan hitting a ladder... thus causing the accident. And not like the blades fell out of the sky...

F3399EA9-7166-4765-B92A-52D1F7AA2E0D.thumb.jpeg.7cc365cab875b936c0dfc29cd8bd422c.jpegAB637DE4-E344-49A5-BD1D-1A36A3E9559E.png

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

A Home facing all four season especially Winter time

A. What is the benefit of a fan direction blowing air upwards instead of downwards in a home?

1. This has more to do with a home facing all four seasons especially to do this during winter.

2. The rationale for this is that cold air sinks and hot air rises to the ceiling.

3. Ideally best to keep the fan speed low and allow the ceiling fan to create an updraft i.e. wind direction blowing towards the ceiling. Here, the idea is that the warm air around the ceiling would be able to circulate from the ceiling downwards.

4. It is the opposite during summer or the common for most homes close to the equator such as Singapore where the fan blade creates a downward push to create a breezy environment.

B. In summary this is also known as De-stratification

5. Sometimes this term is called De-stratification. In summary during the winter as mentioned earlier heated air rises up to the ceiling.

6. Reverse the fan blades (common feature of many DC fans) helps to push cool air upwards to displace the warm air - downwards.

Related reference: Destratification - Wikipedia

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Staff

Metal or plastic fan blades better? It depends!

Plastic fan blades goes well with smaller fans especially for homes. Also have less vibrations and thus less pressure on the fan motor; thus also less wear and tear.

For bigger fans especially at commercial premises, metal fans are preferred. Especially at places with extreme temperature (heat) variations.

5A022E68-A451-4C3C-81F9-00F5B30EEF77.thumb.jpeg.13be97f30c2160f5bf0f98dbb8d610b5.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Is the Sales Brochure Useful?

YESUSEFUL.png.cb07971cc00ab90733509e5f1a47d47a.png

Introduction: For brand new just launched developments, there is no physical site to visit the completed buildings and apartments. 

1. The only thing we can do is to visit the show room (which often is close-by to the site) as well as obtain a sales brochure and see the mock-up of the development. As well as try to ask questions from the sales agent (if any).

1.1. We must still try to gather as much information as we can.

2. Summary of Case Studies in this article.

If the information is overwhelming. Pick and choose selective articles...

1A & B: Common Rubbish Bin
2A & B: Interior unit Dry Walls
3: Fire at Heaven's Gate
4: Sha Qi or Poison Arrows from Club-house roof-lines
5: 3 Panel Sliding Doors at the Balcony
6: Drainage at the Balcony
7: Air-con Ledges
8: Mixed Developments + Cooling Towers
9: Termite infestations
10: Coffee-shop below or near to unit
11: Water tank at roof-top
12: Lamp Posts, Pillars, Tree Trunks
13: Spice Garden in an EC/condo
14: EC/condo Clubhouse
15A & B: Pneumatic Waste Collection System
16: Look closely at the development's scale model for clues
17: Buying a Mixed development apartment
18: Survey or study facilities surrounding the development
19: Pump Room below a unit
20: Seven Commandments of Stove Placement
21: Is there a potential poison arrow from the neighbours?
22: Should I be concerned with a near-by temple, church, mosque &/or elder care?
23: Is the compass marking on the Sales Brochure accurate?
24: Sites reserved for Schools?
25: Doors face each other? [Main Door/Bedrooms]
26: Unit numbers with 4, 44 or 444 Okay?

27: Stove or sink or WC at the Centre of the house?

3. It is always an excellent idea to spent some time to scrutinise a prospective sales brochure of our potential buy (purchase).

49651023_salesbrochureatreasuretrove.png.afca5f2b95a493eef57294c48a2b4858.png4. Recently, more and more clients have discovered to their shock (horror) that the least expected was the location of the central rubbish bin outside their unit.

5. A year ago; many had purchased a premium unit within the development .. and later shocked to learn that the central rubbish chute (for their entire floor) is just next to their main door!

6. Thus the morale of the story is to check first before signing on the dotted line.

7. In general, most developments have these:-

8.1. A central rubbish collection centre / rubbish bin collection point

8.2. Power Sub-station. Every development usually has one or more of these depending on the size of the development.

8.3. Design of club-house roof-lines / trellis / gazebo / pavilion. Are the designs a "threat" e.g. with spikes or like a razor's edge? Usually these are aimed towards lower storeys.

8.4. Any poison arrows in the form of a sharp corner of another block of neighbouring stack aimed towards one's balcony (hard to cure) or towards one's windows (if any)

8.5. Location of areas like BBQ pits and any impact e.g. the smell from these pits towards a unit.. especially low storeys such as #01  or #02 first or second storeys

8.6. Any tree trunk aimed towards a lower unit e.g. #01 or #02. Unfortunately it may be too late; especially if the development is under construction.

9. There are lots more considerations...  

9.1. Do remember "Read in-between" the lines..

TRILIVE reading between the lines.png

CLICK THIS LINK TO LEARN MORE

The Experts in House Hunting
696681019_geoamncysgicon.png.fb8c9b974fb87d32583cae8b9c22b372.png

" As much as we see, Geomancy.net has great web presence built up over the years and is seen as one of the SG market leaders in residential house audit. "

Success starts with good Feng Shui

367287073_HEALTHWEALTHANDHAPPINESS50.png.03992f40f00dc4cd5e9453963bf0fa6c.png
Transparent Pricing & No Hidden Costs. No Purchase of Products.

WHATSAPPx.gif.933b1f171b62310142ae17b5501fc685.gif Cecil Lee, +65 9785-3171 / support@geomancy.net

1861277562_UNDERSTANDINGMICRO.png.891959f03ef51f98ac6911212f3b30ed.png

The Experts in House Hunting
696681019_geoamncysgicon.png.fb8c9b974fb87d32583cae8b9c22b372.png

• Staff

Case Study: Every site even this development has it's the Good, the Bad and the Ugly Units

1. Remember, even if a geomancer says that this is a good development. However, a good unit also depends on where it is within the development:

1016030592_THEBELLCURVE(1).png.6bd8421a800bf571c5f03c1f9fa4a481.png

2. Is your potential unit under the Good, the Bad or the Ugly?

971573323_THEBELLCURVE(3)A.thumb.png.42e5c2184f174bfa1d33f630df7f5658.png564893878_THEBELLCURVE(2).thumb.png.b12d753baed592dd7739556efd6e0a6e.png

3. Often if one is lucky, even if the unit is not so fantastic superficially. Some units are like an unpolished gem. While others unfortunately may be a hopeless rotten apple.

3.1. Just imagine, if the unit is like a 10 year old rundown 1,000 cc car. Even a good Feng Shui Master is unable to turn it into a good unit!  

1223152688_unpolishedgemorlemon.png.abb51c55256cd4cbcda8809d95be7a7a.thumb.png.60f198235c0ec9fd543d82bb3bdb9a0a.png

By the way, (above) this falls under Habit Number 11.

4. Under Habit 1, one possibility is by ranking one's bedroom type by stack/unit: 1st choice, 2nd choice etc... 

546183713_HABIT1B.png.6ce21c3762026c92d7356fb74f366862.png

Reference: Habit 1 can be found under this link:-

• Staff

BEWARE OF THIS AGE-OLD FENG SHUI SCAM

image.png.efcbfc100d6fc4da6a17f5a188322b9d.png

No wonder, Feng Shui suffers from a bad reputation, today

Many Feng Shui Masters are a Feng Shui Store. Their core business is not authentic Feng Shui.
But rather making big bucks by selling lots of useless commercial products in the name of Feng Shui.

Please give me a good reason not to buy such products. Here's one:

2067630596_FAKE(8).png.a4a889053737bed4b9f1b4db20d9dbc6.png

01 say no to feng shui commercial products.png

424511252_blacksheep.jpg.f9b140c26a45a6f4af8a26d90559d5a3.jpg

92168278-3B3E-456C-8A41-862E7EDA6537.jpeg
Okay, the above was written prior to the knowledge of COV-19. Here’s to another reason, why.

Many Feng Shui Masters and their shops are FAKES!

On Saturday, 14 March 2020, a WhatsApp from a past client

53D9DC91-B611-4142-B234-151EA0AB99EF.thumb.png.9aedba5135b3a44a8dc1e1846e5e7ba8.png7541700A-8CF1-4B59-ACCC-C98B1CB02185.png.d2002fe17c44cbf6ade5cfeb59b437ff.png

P.S. Frankly, I was just being extremely polite. Actually if one got the hint, as the British always say just throw the "bloody" thing away!

FAKE (3).png

686149230_BULLSHITPRODUCTS.gif.e3d6c0b7c5df6bbae5573ebb31528c56.gif

ASK! MUST I BUY FROM YOU?

FAKE (7).png

When the buying Stops! The selling Can!

EARNEDMILLIONSBUTSAIDNO.png.2a946b39453910340c6a28b672c79dc6.png

Yes! Ask: "Must I buy from YOU?"

• 8 months later...