About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Why do they eat monkey's brain

Dear cecil,
I think you exposed all the users to something not so pleasant side of chinese cuisine. What is this obsession of chinese people to eat the exotic and endangered species of animal kingdom. Why do they eat monkey's brain? Thanks.

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Anon,
Not all Chinese adore eating of exotic or endangered food.
It may be `common' in the past, but today, these food are less consumed and rarely found unless one makes a conceited effort to search around.
I am not too sure of what health properties eating monkey brain brings but rather, most of the exotic food eaten is based on belief that it either vitalises or eating tiger (certain parts) is considered to aid in sex life etc...
Unfortunately, some Chinese love to eat dog's meat etc...
As mentioned above, `normal' or `common' Chinese people do not eat or subscribe to these.
Warmest Regards,
Cecil

On 5/24/00 1:59:00 PM, Anonymous wrote:
Dear cecil,
I think you exposed all the
users to something not so
pleasant side of chinese
cuisine. What is this
obsession of chinese people to
eat the exotic and endangered
species of animal kingdom. Why
do they eat monkey's brain?
Thanks.

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Anon,
With due respect, I think this line of questioning is not a pleasant one, nor a fair one to ask our mentors in Feng Shui.Most cultures have certain Taboos, for example Tibetans 50 years ago thought it disgusting that people eat chicken, duck, geese and other birds for the same reason as you suggested eating dog meat is disgusting (also because these birds are considered to be auspicious). They also consider eating fish to be revolting & to be very bad karma! Modern day Hindus think eating beef is disgusting and even more so veal - this is not entirely a religious prejudice as they say they have an inate aversion much as cultures have to eating unfamiliar things.
Ultimately, humans, unless they develop themselves, are predatory creature and will eat anything that moves - but this applies to all cultures.
It is also unfair to see all Chinese as one homogenous group. China consists of a multitude of ethnic groups, varieties, languages etc all unified as one country. Europe could have evolved the same way and then people who are not european could ask Swedes as to why Europeans (meaning in fact French) eat horse meat and frogs legs, and why Europeans (meaning Scotts) eat sheap stomache and intestines, or why Europeans (English) eat Dried Blood as Black pudding, or why Europeans(Italians) eat Snails etc etc ad nauseam.
wishing Happiness to all
Robert B.

Dear Robert B,
The questions are asked to learn and clarify things. Who better to ask then the masters themselves. Since this category was created so that users can learn about chinese culture and to learn what are some taboos and superstitions. And I think it is great to know about such intricate things so that one wont get a culture shock if one decides to visits another country. And it makes one aware that like any other culture there are things in chinese culture which one might find different and strange. And thanks for telling the users about the strange and weird eating practises of the Europeans and other cultures. I was not aware of these practises and now I get to learn something new about different culture since these things are not mentioned in cook books or travel guides.
And these things can be learned only through a learning forum like this where the person
explaining the fine points is aware of the culture first hand and is aware that the questions are asked for learning purpose and not to offend some body. Since you cant go to Hong Kong or Taiwan and ask a person there why this practise is followed or ask your chinese neighbor or room mate about such intricate things.
Its like a dictionary which gives meaning for all words even some dirty words are explained
in the dictionary. Does that mean one should stop consulting the dictionary. I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Anonymous,
Yes I do understand what you are trying to say and you are quite right. I was probably just grumpy that day, but yes I do agree that the purpose of such forums is indeed to exchange knowledge and learn.
Thank you for replying
Robert B.