About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Question Courtyard in Center of House + What is the Concept of Trapped or imprisonment? = KUN

skeez

I am building a house and am thinking about putting a rectangular shaped courtyard in the center of the house. 3 sides of the courtyard will be glass walled leaving an entrance on only one side of the courtyard. The rectangular courtyard would run all the way up through the second floor. Will the courtyard at the center of the house be a bad thing or a good thing?

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Susan,
1. A rectangular shaped court-yard represents the Earth element.
2. Quite a coincidence that you had asked this interesting question.
Let me relate a past story. This is a true story. I had one client who had lived house similar to what you had mentioned i.e. with a rectangular court-yard.
Before he consulted me, he was in financial difficulties and further more had a serious car accident (nearly lost his and family's life) and lost money in his business.
3. Furthermore, the main entrance door of this house (with rectangular court-yard) faced north direction. (Later under Para 4, this was found not suitable to the breadwinner who is a "weak earth" person.
4. I was asked to analyse his house and I found the following:-
4.1 His Pillars of Destiny element is " Weak Earth ".
4.2 As mentioned under Para 3, his main door faces " North " (water element).
Since he is a weak earth person, although water is suppose to be his wealth BUT to a weak earth person IT BECOMES a financial burden to him.
4.3. I had thus asked him to change the door of this house to South (Fire) where Fire element will help his weak earth grow.
4.4. He had placed a tree in the court-yard and several plants.
This is considered highly `inauspicious'. Symbolism is important in Feng Shui and the tree with the resulting outline of the earth (rectangle) over it represented = Mandarin character for " Imprisonment ".
All these spelt bad news for the owner.
5. After, I had advised him and since the changes made by him; he has turned around all the early problems and I understand that he is doing well now.
In my opinion, I would strongly advise you not to do so or if you want to do any of these, do try to consult a competent FS practitioner to help you in this area.
Warmest Regards,
Cecil

On 1/6/2002 10:57:00 AM, Anonymous wrote:
I am building a house and am
thinking about putting a
rectangular shaped courtyard
in the center of the house. 3
sides of the courtyard will be
glass walled leaving an
entrance on only one side of
the courtyard. The rectangular
courtyard would run all the
way up through the second
floor. Will the courtyard at
the center of the house be a
bad thing or a good thing?

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

• Staff

Dear Susan,
1. Attached, please find a graphic illustration of the " rectangular " court-yard + the Chinese (mandarin) character for tree.
2. The two combined is called " KUN " or trapped or imprisoned.
3. This is another aspect of Symbolism in Feng Shui.
4. For such a court-yard, it would be tempting to have some trees in this centre-court yard and thus - one has to be really careful of the implication of it.
Warmest Regards,
Cecil Lee

Thank you Cecil, for the advice. I am attaching a draft of the house plan--the groud floor plan so you can have a clearer picture. would it help if i had one side of the courtyard open up--not walled or glass up--so it opens up to the kitchen and dining area? please advice, i might have to do some major changes if it isn't a good thing.
i was born in 1973, April 28th--if that is of any significance...

• Staff

Dear Susan,
Thank you for the detailed layout plan.
Is it possible to let me of the following:-
1. Are u the bread winner.
2. I can see that you use the home as a home office. Is it possible to share on the state of business i.e. good or bad or any financial difficulties (at the moment).
3. Can you describe your land e.g. flat and surrounding elevation. For example, is the abandoned plantation same level? The main gate is flat or slopes into your home? If it is slopping, is it a gentle gradiant or steep. Do you have say a scanned image showing the "wider" picture of your home in relation to the surrounding homes around it.
4. Apologies, if I asked too many questions. As this means much to me as the input will help me to understand better your home - condition.
Thanks in advance.
Warmest Regards,
Cecil Lee

On 1/7/2002 11:50:00 AM, Anonymous wrote:
Thank you Cecil, for the
advice. I am attaching a draft
of the house plan--the groud
floor plan so you can have a
clearer picture. would it help
if i had one side of the
courtyard open up--not walled
or glass up--so it opens up to
the kitchen and dining area?
please advice, i might have to
do some major changes if it
isn't a good thing.
i was born in 1973, April
28th--if that is of any
significance...

here are the answers to your questions:
I am not the breadwinner of my household yet. My dad is building me this house. I am staying with them at the moment. I have a boyfriend but we are not planning to get married for another 2 years or so. We might move in together later this year, into an apartment while the house is being built. I wanted an office in the house because I thought I wanted the option of being able to work from home. Also, I have a lot of technical equipment--computers, etc, which would be better placed in an office of sort. The office will be located close to the main entrance in case I have clients come in. I am a designer--graphic, web and packaging design.
The land when we bought it was sloping quite dramatically- from the level of the road to the small creek--before the plantation. However, we have filled the land to the same level as the road, and a retaining wall is being built to prevent land slides. This would result in the piece of land being leveled and about 20 feet higher than the creek and the plantation.
Sorry, I do not have a scanned image to send you. The land we bought is in a exclusive gated community. My parent's house--where I live now is also located in the same community but about half a mile away. I am attaching a drawing which shows the rough location of the land in relation to the neighboring houses. Hope my answers are helpful enough.
Thank you,
Susan

• Staff

Dear Susan,
Thanks for the information.
Looking at the house, and since it has not been built yet here are my observations:
1. If you can, I would really recommend not having a center courtyard in the home.
This is because, a three `sided' court-yard which you mentioned in your `revised' proposal is equally not ideal as it creates an imbalance in Sha Qi and bad feng shui.
2. It is very (very) inauspicious to have the toilets at the frontage of the house with maids/laundry area - is very bad feng shui.
3. To relook at the location of the pool as currently it is at the back of the house. If the pool is still at the location, then, it is best to have a wall e.g. or retaining wall/fence at the back of the house to provide a `solid' backing. Alternatively, the area behind the pool should be `landscaped' with `mountain effect'
4. I am sure not sure, how is the weather in your area but if one look carefully, your living area is located at the West (afternoon sun) while your work area is located at South-West (with the pool) at Devil's backdoor.
5. Currently, the plus point is the main gate meandering sideways to the car porch.
6. It is not ideal to have a store also at the frontage.
7. The house also do not look favourable with a main entrance door (at the frontage).
8. Good homes usually allow for qi to meander and the house also seems (from a top down view) to be uneven i.e. missing or some protusions that is not ideal for `luck'.
A more rectangular shaped and compartmentalised (rectangular) shape for each room will be an advantage. Currently, the car porch, and the narrow interior covered walkway, don't look good.
I hope you don't mind my comments but honestly, I really do not like the entire layout plan.
Warmest Regards,
Cecil

On 1/8/2002 6:55:00 AM, Anonymous wrote:
here are the answers to your
questions:
I am not the breadwinner of my
household yet. My dad is
building me this house. I am
staying with them at the
moment. I have a boyfriend but
we are not planning to get
married for another 2 years or
so. We might move in together
later this year, into an
apartment while the house is
being built. I wanted an
office in the house because I
thought I wanted the option of
being able to work from home.
Also, I have a lot of
technical
equipment--computers, etc,
which would be better placed
in an office of sort. The
office will be located close
to the main entrance in case I
have clients come in. I am a
designer--graphic, web and
packaging design.
The land when we bought it was
sloping quite dramatically-
from the level of the road to
the small creek--before the
plantation. However, we have
filled the land to the same
level as the road, and a
retaining wall is being built
to prevent land slides. This
would result in the piece of
land being leveled and about
20 feet higher than the creek
and the plantation.
Sorry, I do not have a scanned
image to send you. The land we
bought is in a exclusive gated
community. My parent's
house--where I live now is
also located in the same
community but about half a
mile away. I am attaching a
drawing which shows the rough
location of the land in
relation to the neighboring
houses. Hope my answers are
helpful enough.
Thank you,
Susan

• Staff

Dear Susan,
Thank you for your sketch of the location.
In my opinion, since this house is at the end of the road, it is more important (more than ever) for the Feng Shui of the house to be correct.
As more attention should be placed in the layout to neutralise the Sha Qi that comes from a house at the end of the road.
If you can avail yourself to a Feng Shui practitioner in your country would be good as it would be worth the while spending more time to get the Feng Shui of your new house correct.
Warmest Regards,
Cecil

On 1/8/2002 6:56:00 AM, Anonymous wrote:
here is the drawing i forgot
to attach to the last email...
thanks for helping me
Susan

• Staff

Dear Susan,
You can check out a recent message in this forum under this (same) conference - Free Advice:
Message title: House at the end of a private street - 12/18/2001 and the various exchange of messages.
Short info: This type of house has to be `cured' if not there are repurcussions for those staying there such as Financial problems.
In my personal opinion, if one has the money, try to sell the land and look for another location to build. Feng Shui can help to correct it but since it is not built up yet, my advise is try to sell it and find another plot of land to build a `trouble free' home that does not require any correction. (if possible).
Warmest Regards,
Cecil

• 17 years later...
  • Staff
14 hours ago, Guest Vince said:

Hi Mr. LEE. May I also ask if the courtyard is not in the center of the house would that be ok?

Oh Dear! 

In land scarce countries like Singapore, Hong Kong and nowadays even Malaysia and China, these houses were built in in the 1800's till early 1910's.

Thus nowadays, courtyards at the centre of the house is no longer built... not so much of Feng Shui consideration but simply in land scarce Asia.

Since you use American English "center" I assume that you are in the USA. As British English uses centre. LOL.

In the US, if one lives in the suburbs, property land size can be by the acres. Thus courtyards whatever sector can apply.

Feng Shui is not one size fits all.

Thus, your question is in my opinion too general for a reply.

For example, under the 12 Habits of Feng Shui... 

Considerations like... only can say for sure if one does a Feng Shui Triage or if there may be wealth leaks, consider fixing it.

Another consideration is The concept of Maximising marks, etc....