About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Applying Grand Duke Theory

Hi Cecil,
I read my Flying Star today and I am confused as to applying the Grand Duke Theory. I want to make sure I understand this correctly. I will quote sentences from the report.
1 "Try to avoid renovations or repairs in the location OPPOSITE the Grand Duke"
2 "Once you know where the Grand Duke is located for the year, avoid disturbing him by haveing any renovations or repairs IN HIS LOCATION"
3 "You should not have any renovations or repairs done opposite the Location of Conflict"
In the report for 2002, the Grand Duke is 180 degree South and the location of Conflict is North.
Based on statements above, renovations and repairs should be avoided in the both the South and North direction of a house. Am I interpreting this right?
Thanks again

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Ben,
1. Yes, in the Year of the Horse (Water-Horse) which will be (soon) i.e. begining on 12 February 2002 (First Day of Chinese New Year) to to 31 Jan 2003.
2. On 12 February 2002 onwards till 31 Jan 2003, if one wants to do a renovation it is best to avoid both the compass direction North and South sectors.
3. Why South?
It is considered that the planet Jupiter is at the South. (Jupiter is considered the largest planet in our solar system) and therefore, it is felt that it has the most magnetic force.
The Grand Duke is actually (the planet Jupiter).
4. Since the Grand Duke or romanised Mandrain called " Tai Sui " is said to be at this location.
5. In such a situation, it is best not to `distrub' him during the Year of Horse. More importantly, do not paint (touch him) or `move earth' i.e. renovate (disturb) him from 12 Feb 2002 onwards until 31 January 2003.
6. Why North?
This is based on the Chinese Astrology.
7. According to the Chinese Astrology and by looking at this graphic (attached: grandduke.gif ) you will find that the animal signs : HORSE and RAT are directly opposite each other.
These two animal signs are directly inconflict.
8. In Chinese Astrology predictions, this is considered a bad year for those born in the Year of the Rat.
Source:
http://www.geomancy.net/resources/yearly-forecast/forecast-2002.htm
9. The rationale for the `clash' is because:
1. Horse is an animal sign that is the Fire element or SOUTH.
2. While RAT belongs to the Water element or NORTH.
10. This is a CLASH of Water and Fire element.
Thus, it is best (strongly recommended) to delay renovation at NORTH and SOUTH in the Year of the Horse.
Warmest Regards,
Cecil Lee

On 1/10/2002 3:32:00 AM, Anonymous wrote:
Hi Cecil,
I read my Flying Star today
and I am confused as to
applying the Grand Duke
Theory. I want to make sure I
understand this correctly. I
will quote sentences from the
report.
1 "Try to avoid renovations or
repairs in the location
OPPOSITE the Grand Duke"
2 "Once you know where the
Grand Duke is located for the
year, avoid disturbing him by
haveing any renovations or
repairs IN HIS LOCATION"
3 "You should not have any
renovations or repairs done
opposite the Location of
Conflict"
In the report for 2002, the
Grand Duke is 180 degree South
and the location of Conflict
is North.
Based on statements above,
renovations and repairs should
be avoided in the both the
South and North direction of a
house. Am I interpreting this
right?
Thanks again

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Thank you Cecil for the reply,
I will apply the Grand Duke Theory when doing minor repairs or spot repairs to certain sections of my house. However, this theory doesn't seem too practical if one has to do Major renovations to one's house because there will always be 2 directions (the one in Conflict and the one where the Grand Duke is located) that will cause bad luck. For example, if I was to replace my entire roof this March, it would be impractical to not replace the South and North section of the roof while replacing the other directions. Likewise if I purchased a new home and wanted to fix it up before moving in, such as painting the interior and exterior and changing to new carpets, it would not be practical to do only 6 directions and not the 2. So it seems to me that the application of this theory makes sense if only spot repairs or renovations that do not involve the whole house are done.

• Staff

Dear Ben,
Yes, you are being very pratical in the approach i.e. when applying the Grand Duke Theory, apply it when doing minor renovations.
I do agree with you that if one is doing a major renovation, it can still be done. However, it is preferred that:
1. all members of the family move out of the house
Many Chinese:
2. choose an auspicious date for the start of the renovation and also once the renovation is completed, choose another good date to `move in' again.
Warmest Regards,
Cecil

On 1/11/2002 3:47:00 AM, Anonymous wrote:
Thank you Cecil for the reply,
I will apply the Grand Duke
Theory when doing minor
repairs or spot repairs to
certain sections of my house.
However, this theory doesn't
seem too practical if one has
to do Major renovations to
one's house because there will
always be 2 directions (the
one in Conflict and the one
where the Grand Duke is
located) that will cause bad
luck. For example, if I was
to replace my entire roof this
March, it would be impractical
to not replace the South and
North section of the roof
while replacing the other
directions. Likewise if I
purchased a new home and
wanted to fix it up before
moving in, such as painting
the interior and exterior and
changing to new carpets, it
would not be practical to do
only 6 directions and not the
2. So it seems to me that the
application of this theory
makes sense if only spot
repairs or renovations that do
not involve the whole house
are done.

• 1 month later...

Now my home is a due heading to all main direcions. My stone Budda in the meditation posture in a flower garden that is facing the Grand Duke head on and a metal Budda in the North end of my home facing inwards away from the North in the house. How would this affect me and my home? I assume that the Grand Duke would have to give respect to Budda. Oh and I have a golden toy horse placed above my south end window of my bedroom. I always keep my blind closed in that direction anyway. It's a privacy thing. :) I would greatly appreciate your opinion on this. Thanks.