About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

is a sunken living room good or bad?

myfs_104989

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Ray,

I would have to say: "it depends".

Much of Feng Shui has to do with commonsense approach.

For example, if the property is already at a low level, often it is not advantages to have a low lying living room. This is because, if there should be a severe flooding in a location that has frequent floods, it would mean that the entire room will be affected by water.

However, in many new condos, which is elevated, having steps going down to the living room is perfectly ok.

As you mentioned, 2 steps down. Two steps down is considered OK or auspicious as found under the attachment : methodology for the number of steps.

However, in Feng Shui, it is not that favourable if, we have a split level and where the dining room is lower than the living room. Often, it is very (very) common to find the dining room higher than the living room.

Again, if we observe carefully, usually, the dining room is further behind the home (closer to the kitchen). A dining room higher than the living room suggests often that the back of the home is higher. Contrast this to having the living room lower.

Warmest Regards,
Cecil Lee

On 7/26/2004 7:19:25 PM, Anonymous wrote:

hi. i am thinking about

getting a coop with a sunken

living room. ten feet in

front door are 2 steps going

down to the living room.

if this is bad, what is the

cure? thanks.

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

• 15 years later...
  • Staff

In certain parts of flood prone areas in Singapore, the government does not allow to build a sunken or for that matter a flat living /dining room or rather the 1st storey at ground level.

For example, a few years ago, a client purchased a build from scratch home from a developer.

The ground floor level houses just the garage. While the living room /kitchen etc is at level 2 onwards.

The home is around Boscombe Road - thereabouts.

7151BC58-0194-443D-BA6C-0B5C10B6BF4B.thumb.jpeg.43ca0ec175b7edacb95a69198be2b225.jpeg

This was because in the past Tanjong Katong area was prone to frequent flooding. As it is still a low lying area.

Nowadays, touchwood - flooding is like once in every 25 years...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, hope all is doing well at this COVID timea. I have a question, my living room is sunken (about 30cm down) compared to other areas of the house, since the natural terrain of my plot is inclined. Some people who visited my house says that this is not good Feng shui. Could you please enlighten me. (Flooding is not a problem in where I live.) 

Thanks for you answer in advance

Regards,

Severino

• Staff
1 hour ago, Severino T said:

Hi, hope all is doing well at this COVID timea. I have a question, my living room is sunken (about 30cm down) compared to other areas of the house, since the natural terrain of my plot is inclined. Some people who visited my house says that this is not good Feng shui. Could you please enlighten me. (Flooding is not a problem in where I live.) 

Thanks for you answer in advance

Regards,

Severino

From the messages found in this thread:-

1. Yes, common sense and the concern for flooding (if any). If none... then no issue, here.

2. Usually, even if the living room is sunken, if the rear e.g. dining and kitchen is higher is considered as "Good" Shapes and Forms Feng Shui.

3. Today, many modern homes are wheel chair friendly, thus not ideal, if a family member has to move using a wheel chair.