About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Partition at main door

myfs_100950

Hello Master Cecil Lee

I read from your forum that a four claws dragon can be display facing a main doorentrance to overlook a sha qi.Sometime few months ago I posted amail by placing shower curtainbecause of our main door diagonally facing our toilet. Finally we observeour main door, dinning table, kitchen door facing directly the main door except toilet door diagonally facing the main door. We decided to place a partition somewhere near to themain door entrance. Do wehvto follow the breadwinner birth element colour (weak water)? Most favourable element colour white/gold. Favourable element colour blue/black/gray.Why can't take theHeavenly Luck colour (Kua 2-earth) yellow. What is the best option to choose the partition and the colour?Which material is good to use wood, metal or glass?Need your advice? Awaiting for your reply. Thank you in advance.

With warmest regards

Sophia Chia

• 4 weeks later...
Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Sophia,

1. Dining table in full view of the Main Entrance door

1.1 Commonsense Approach to Feng Shui

Under the commonsense approach to Feng Shui, it is always better not to have the dining table to be in direct full view of the main entrance. For the simple reason that for most people, the dining table could be a "depository" for lots of things such as a loaf of bread, cups, and food waiting to be consumed by various family members.

Here, even if we have a small family, often, food is to be left over for one or the other family members coming back late from school or work.

Thus, for some, the dining table can be "unsightly".

In addition, if one leaves the door open and if one's apartment is at a corridor, neighbours could view our dining table food. Which often, is considered as "a privacy" issue.

2. Symbolism in Feng Shui

It is particularly inauspicious to place "sharp objects" on a dining table. Simple daily use items like forks and butter knives can be considered as poison arrows. If one stands at the main entrance and can see them. This often results in quarrels and disharmony in the family.

Warmest Regards,
Cecil

On 1/9/2005 6:46:19 PM, Anonymous wrote:

Hello Master Cecil Lee

I read from your forum that a

four claws dragon can be

display facing a main

doorentrance to overlook

a sha qi.Sometime few

months ago I posted

amail by placing shower

curtainbecause of our

main door diagonally facing

our toilet. Finally we

observeour main door,

dinning table, kitchen door

facing directly the main door

except toilet door diagonally

facing the main door. We

decided to place a partition

somewhere near to

themain door entrance.

Do wehvto follow

the breadwinner birth element

colour (weak water)? Most

favourable element colour

white/gold. Favourable element

colour blue/black/gray.Why

can't take

theHeavenly Luck

colour (Kua 2-earth) yellow.

What is the best option to

choose the partition and the

colour?Which material is

good to use wood, metal or

glass?Need

your advice? Awaiting

for your reply. Thank you in

advance.

With warmest regards

Sophia Chia

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

• Staff

Dear Sophia

Part II - Guidelines on a good partition design:-

1. AVOID CIRCULAR DESIGNS ON THE PARTITION

Where possible, the partition should not have circular designs on it. Or a circular fish tank built into it.

Under symbolism in Feng Shui, a circle represents the pot-hole of a ship. For example, opening it could be symbolic of allowing water gushing into a ship sinking it.

2. AVOID THREE VERTICAL WOOD BEAMS

It is best to avoid a partition that has three vertical beams. And even more inauspicious if light box are built into these wooden beams.

This is because this symbolises THREE JOSS STICKs i.e. such as paying respect to the dead.

3. GOODFENG SHUI (RULER) DIMENSIONS

Where possible, use the Feng Shui ruler to get an auspicious length and breath of the dimensions of the partition.

The most auspicious dimensions are in the multiples of 43 cm or 17 inches times (x) a factor of 1, 2, 3 etc...

Thus an auspicious length could be 34 inches etc...

4. AVOID REFLECTIVE GLASS FACING THE MAIN ENTRANCE

If possible, the glass panels are sand blasted or matt facing the main entrance door. We do not want to open the main door and let wealth be reflected out of the home.

5. AVOID SLICING OR CUTTING INTO THE LIVING ROOM SOFA OR THE DINING TABLE

Often, in the design of a partition, we forgot to note that by installing a partition, we could inadvertently have it become a cutting edge that slices into the dining area or table causing a "split".

6. VERTICAL BEAM DESIGN

As mentioned above, three vertical beam design is considered inauspicious. And many like to avoid 2 pieces (separation or divorce) or 4 pieces (in Cantonese dialect - means die). Thus it is favourable to have 5, 6 or 8 pieces instead.

7. SOLID PARTITION?

Is it true that the partition should be entirely "air-tight?".

Well it is not necessary for a partition to be fully "air-tight". It can still have gaps to allow light source to flow thru the other side or can see thru to the other side.

By having some gaps or to use glass or semi-glass panels, it is good to have light pass thru to the other side since, often, by not doing so, areas such as the main door can get extremely dark.

Frankly, there are many other more guidelines, but for now, the above are what I can think off-for-the moment.

Warmest Regards,
Cecil

• 8 years later...

Hi Master Cecil,
I read with interest on the type of partition for the home. I won't be able to hang "bagua" or put anything outside my corridor because of management regulations (the apt is overseas). So I am thinking of putting a partition inside the home to make a foyer since my main door is facing directly the lift entrance. I like some of the partitions very much with auspicious pictures. But 2,3,4 beams are not good. So I am thinking if there are no beams, then it should be fine ?
I attached some photos for your advise. Thank you.

regards,
Tina

• Staff

These are some considerations for a partition:-
1. Usually, and not a must. Often partition size are: 35" (pretty small); 42" or huge 49 3/4" in width. The thickness for practical reasons is not that critical.
2. Ideally, under common sense; there should at least be 900 cm clearance from the door to the partition to allow ease of bringing in things into the apartment.
3. Best not to have flimsy partition e.g. those that e.g. have a few panels. Again for practical reasons; such partition may topple down. Thus if one really likes to place a partition; it should be able to withstand "wind" blowing from inside of the house out of the door and vice versa.
4. Thus a partition that sway with the wind is often irritating, to say the least.
5. Where possible; do not have vertical panels that are even numbers as often, when standing at the main door; even number of panels can symbolise a split e.g. 2 panels or 4 panels is considered "inauspicious".
6. Where possible; the panel should not have highly reflective panel facing the main door. Again, this is common sense. Where for some; when returning home; may get a "shock" seeing a "figure" or shadow when entering the home.
7. The two panels that you have shown are acceptable. In fact; in the 1990's I do see some having panels with koi fishes etched into the glass panel(s).
8. In the past; the first generation HDB flats have doors and door frame that have auspicious "openings" e.g. 35". Thus, it makes sense that the partition could be auspicious dimensions as mentioned under Para 1, above.
9. In addition, contrary to popular belief; a partition need not be "air-tight". But can be see thru. And may contain display shelves. Again, these shelves must not have a vertical split where there are even number of display shelving.
10. Do avoid having a circle design for the partition.
11. For Chinese motif; such as Longevity, Prosperity or infinity symbol are equally popular for those who like all things Chinese. These are typically seen at some Chinese restaurants e.g. in San Francisco Chinatown and elsewhere.
12. The partition also need not reach the full height of the ceiling. For some homes partition height are kept at the main door frame height or lower to allow light to bounce up above the partition to bring more light to the foyer.
13. Avoid placing a set of Fu Lou Shou figurines facing the main door e.g. if the partition has a display shelf. Some say that it is like employing them as security guard for the home. (Disrespectful).
14. There are more common sense, stuff; but for now: I tried to recall as much as I could.

On 10/2/2013 8:11:01 PM, Anonymous wrote:
Hi Master Cecil,I read with
interest on the type of
partition for the home. I
won't be able to hang "bagua"
or put anything outside my
corridor because of management
regulations (the apt is
overseas). So I am thinking of
putting a partition inside the
home to make a foyer since my
main door is facing directly
the lift entrance. I like some
of the partitions very much
with auspicious pictures. But
2,3,4 beams are not good. So I
am thinking if there are no
beams, then it should be fine
?I attached some photos for
your advise. Thank you.
regards,Tina

• Staff

Center of the photo showing the auspicious infinity loop symbol.There are many standarddesigns based onMandarin word characters also likeLongevity, Prosperity. Often, also seen on the clothings of the figurines: Fu Luo Shou... etc...

On 10/2/2013 11:03:52 PM, Anonymous wrote:
These are some considerations for a
partition:-1. Usually, and not a must.
Often partition size are: 35" (pretty
small); 42" or huge 49 3/4" in width.
The thickness for practical reasons is
not that critical.2. Ideally, under
common sense; there should at least be
900 cm clearance from the door to the
partition to allow ease of bringing in
things into the apartment.3. Best not to
have flimsy partition e.g. those that
e.g. have a few panels. Again for
practical reasons; such partition may
topple down. Thus if one really likes to
place a partition; it should be able to
withstand "wind" blowing from inside of
the house out of the door and vice
versa. 4. Thus a partition that sway
with the wind is often irritating, to
say the least. 5. Where possible; do not
have vertical panels that are even
numbers as often, when standing at the
main door; even number of panels can
symbolise a split e.g. 2 panels or 4
panels is considered "inauspicious".6.
Where possible; the panel should not
have highly reflective panel facing the
main door. Again, this is common sense.
Where for some; when returning home; may
get a "shock" seeing a "figure" or
shadow when entering the home.7. The two
panels that you have shown are
acceptable. In fact; in the 1990's I do
see some having panels with koi fishes
etched into the glass panel(s).8. In the
past; the first generation HDB flats
have doors and door frame that have
auspicious "openings" e.g. 35". Thus, it
makes sense that the partition could be
auspicious dimensions as mentioned under
Para 1, above.9. In addition, contrary
to popular belief; a partition need not
be "air-tight". But can be see thru. And
may contain display shelves. Again,
these shelves must not have a vertical
split where there are even number of
display shelving.10. Do avoid having a
circle design for the partition.11. For
Chinese motif; such as Longevity,
Prosperity or infinity symbol are
equally popular for those who like all
things Chinese. These are typically seen
at some Chinese restaurants e.g. in San
Francisco Chinatown and elsewhere.12.
The partition also need not reach the
full height of the ceiling. For some
homes partition height are kept at the
main door frame height or lower to allow
light to bounce up above the partition
to bring more light to the foyer.13.
Avoid placing a set of Fu Lou Shou
figurines facing the main door e.g. if
the partition has a display shelf. Some
say that it is like employing them as
security guard for the home.
(Disrespectful).14. There are more
common sense, stuff; but for now: I
tried to recall as much as I could.On
10/2/2013 8:11:01 PM, Tina Ku wrote:
Hi Master Cecil,I read with
interest on the type of
partition for the home. I
won't
be able to hang "bagua"
or put
anything outside my
corridor because
of management
regulations (the apt
is
overseas). So I am thinking of
putting a partition inside the
home to make a foyer since my
main door is facing directly
the
lift entrance. I like some
of the
partitions very much
with auspicious
pictures. But
2,3,4 beams are not
good. So I
am thinking if there are
no
beams, then it should be fine
?I attached some photos for
your
advise. Thank you.
regards,Tina

• 9 months later...
  • Staff

Contrary to popular belief; a partition need not be all the way to the ceiling. And also, need not be "air-tight".
In the attachment, this partition has 5 squarish wooden poles that are spaced-apart.

On 10/2/2013 11:33:05 PM, Anonymous wrote:
Some of the partitions
mentioned in the attachment
are considered inauspicious.

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

Question: Morning. Would like to konw the partition in the living room near the entrance door must be same height as the door & can it have see thru holes? Thinking of book shelf/dispaly shelf to act as partition.
Reply:
1. No need to be full height - so that natural light can be reflected over the ceiling.
2. Can have holes.
3 Of all things, the home is not a library; so; the holes are meant for display decor items (if any) Few if any display reading materials

On 7/18/2014 9:37:08 PM, Anonymous wrote:
Contrary to popular belief; a partition
need not be all the way to the ceiling.
And also, need not be "air-tight".In the
attachment, this partition has 5
squarish wooden poles that are
spaced-apart.On 10/2/2013 11:33:05 PM,
Cecil Lee wrote:
Some of the partitions
mentioned in the attachment
are considered inauspicious.

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

1. Please see this illustration.

2. This partition is long and covers the entire main entrance door.

3. In addition, it is full height up to the entire ceiling of the house.

3.1. As mentioned in some of the earlier threads; full height and especially now that it is "air-tight" means that light from the living room cannot filter to the main door. Thus generally, making the foyer area dim.

3.2. Another thing I would like to highlight with this "air-tight" partition is that often for safety reasons; those sitting at the sofa area will not see who is coming in or if a family member is at the main door talking to a person or stranger.

3.3. Personally, I would still prefer some openings so that if I am seated at the sofa area, I can at least "monitor" what is going on at the main door.

3.4. This is why, don't be mistaken that a partition has to be air-tight. Some of the earlier threads shows other partitions that are e.g. 5 poles etc.. in addition, this allows light towards the foyer; adequate air-flow and also as mentioned under para 3.2 to 3.3; can monitor what is going on at the main entrance door.

4. For some of us; just imagine, hearing the main door open and only later than can see who (which family members have returned home especially if no sound or voice is heard from them).

On 12/7/2014 8:21:59 AM, Anonymous wrote:>>>Some of the partitions>>>mentioned in the attachment>>>are considered inauspicious.

• Cecil Lee pinned this topic
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 7/18/2014 at 1:37 PM, Cecil Lee said:

Contrary to popular belief; a partition need not be all the way to the ceiling. And also, need not be "air-tight".
In the attachment, this partition has 5 squarish wooden poles that are spaced-apart.

a(2).jpg

Dear Cecil,

Thank you so much for providing this site and forum as a resource.

I am wondering, would such a partition in the photo above be either sources of sha qi or "slicing/cutting" the dining table?

Or does the arrangement of the columns negate this, i.e. since the columns are forming a "wall"/partition, they are no longer considered to be individually cutting, and the assembly only projects poison arrows from its ends?

• Staff
7 hours ago, dyungim said:

Dear Cecil,

Thank you so much for providing this site and forum as a resource.

I am wondering, would such a partition in the photo above be either sources of sha qi or "slicing/cutting" the dining table?

Or does the arrangement of the columns negate this, i.e. since the columns are forming a "wall"/partition, they are no longer considered to be individually cutting, and the assembly only projects poison arrows from its ends?

a(2).jpg

1. The above (example) partition is acceptable. Since the wooden partition are parallel to the wall and the door.
1.1. Thus considered as a non-issue and does not create any Sha qi or poison arrow(s) - if any.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++
+++++++

HOWEVER SLANTED PANELS MAY BECOME A POISON ARROW

2. Slanted panels as shown below can result in poison arrows either aimed towards the main door or the dining table.

image.thumb.png.1c33feb5fe3b2e9984b3db47a5aa26b7.png

OR

image.thumb.png.4094242a6e0f4739655921cbdaf4851c.png

• Staff

grandparentstime.thumb.png.d7fdc1f19dddf7a656c234cd43435592.png

01 NO PURCHASE OF PRODUCTS.png

From Day 1, we share your concern
We will never sell you any products!
++++++++++
+++++

image.png.347e9c6db0c7496b2caa17b41bbdf651.png

Many Feng Shui Masters are a Feng Shui Store in disguise
Beware: Even those who claim to have a Feng Shui lineage are equally guilty of this

bullshit.png.8a28af50b9b4c2dbe49ac264e6dddb2b.png

Ask: "Must I buy from you?"

Find out more...

• Staff

The Experts in House Hunting
696681019_geoamncysgicon.png.fb8c9b974fb87d32583cae8b9c22b372.png

" As much as we see, Geomancy.net has great web presence built up over the years and is seen as one of the SG market leaders in residential house audit. "

Success starts with good Feng Shui

367287073_HEALTHWEALTHANDHAPPINESS50.png.03992f40f00dc4cd5e9453963bf0fa6c.png
Transparent Pricing & No Hidden Costs. No Purchase of Products.

WHATSAPPx.gif.933b1f171b62310142ae17b5501fc685.gif Cecil Lee, +65 9785-3171 / support@geomancy.net

1861277562_UNDERSTANDINGMICRO.png.891959f03ef51f98ac6911212f3b30ed.png

The Experts in House Hunting
696681019_geoamncysgicon.png.fb8c9b974fb87d32583cae8b9c22b372.png

• 1 month later...

Hello Master Cecil, thanks for sharing your advice with us in this forum, I have yet another consultation, I decided on a house already with a very auspicious distribution, however outside of my bedroom balcony there is a tree that cuts right in the middle of the window, I would like to know if it is considered a poison arrow and if I should get rid of it, thanks, the tree is inside my property, the tree is almost as tall as the house

Housetree.png

treeAerialview.png

• Staff

Illustration of a Potential Sha Qi or Poison Arrow

1. It also depends on the distance the tree is to the window(s).
2. The thickness or hardness of the tree.
3. Not a poison arrow nor an issue or threat if the tree trunk is covered by lots of leaves as shown by this photo:-

image.thumb.jpeg.93eb175d18c97aafa4dae8d7d158febf.jpeg

[Above] If a tree trunk is completely covered by leaves; even if we can see a faint outline of the tree trunk; the this is no longer a threat. To be a threat, the tree trunk is fully exposed.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++

Potential Sha Qi or Poison Arrow?

If so, the tree trunk would be visible and “strong".

For example, just imagine if a car even if it is a BMW or Mercedes were to smash into it to its side, sometimes the car split into half.
Then this tree (tree trunk) is a potential poison arrow.

image.png.d19138784a7503aee14970bdab25ddd1.png

Any potential cure?
Concept of : If can no longer be seen, it is no longer a threat.
Thus for an opening such as a window. it is easier to "contain” or cure.
For example, by installing Day curtains and permanently drawing it down.

• 1 month later...

Good day Master Cecil,

I just bought a fully furnish 4 room flat and planning to do some minor renovation.

i have heard many from friends that the main door cannot face the window directly.

the house I bought has a direct line of sight to the main window which faces directly to the expressway.

so I guess i need to build a partition at the main entrance to block the view to the window right? This is my layout and my planned design. 

seek your professional advise please.

thanks

regards

ben

IMG_0427.jpeg

IMG_0428.jpeg

• Staff
7 hours ago, Ben yap said:

Good day Master Cecil,

I just bought a fully furnish 4 room flat and planning to do some minor renovation.

i have heard many from friends that the main door cannot face the window directly.

the house I bought has a direct line of sight to the main window which faces directly to the expressway.

so I guess i need to build a partition at the main entrance to block the view to the window right? This is my layout and my planned design. 

seek your professional advise please.

thanks

regards

ben

IMG_0427.jpeg

IMG_0428.jpeg

Yes, this is considered as a conservative approach to Feng Shui. 

There are several resources in this same thread on this topic to take note of.