About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

FD for High Rise Apartment

I'm very new to FS and really hope to learn from all the learned forum'ers here.
The concept that I'm currently trying to learn is the 8M theory. And i have some problems trying to decide which facing direction(FD) should be the FD for my house. My main door is facing NW and my living room is in the SE. One of the walls of my living room is a picture window (facing SE)that extends from the floor to almost the ceiling. Based on what i have learned, the FD for my house may not be that of my main door especially I'm living on the 13th floor. From some sources, the FD for the house should be the one that receives lots of sunshine and activity, and where there is an open space in front. Is this theory true? My concern is that with these two choices i can derive two house gua that have two different impacts on my house sectors. Please advice.
Another question is that my picture window is facing a cross junction and from i learn, by living high, the impact from the "sha chi" is reduced. is this true?
Thank for your attention.

Sponsored Link

• Staff

1. To be really honest with you currently there are two major camps with regards to the "Facing Direction". There are more sub-sub classifications.

2. Everyone is overall clear with landed property. But for high-rise; as mentioned above, there are two major camps:-

"Camp 1": As you had mentioned: takes into consideration the most Yang qi or opening. Thus for some high rise, it is straight forward where the block of flat or apartment is commonly rectangular and all units face a certain direction. In Singapore, these are the one to three room older Housing Board flats. Here, the main door and the facing direction i.e. the window are similar.

Camp 1: Plays it safe, by giving a general remark that one should find the most yang facing direction.

"Camp 2": Usually states that 1st to the 5th floor should be the facing direction of the block of flat. While higher floors, the reading is taken inside the house facing the main door. Here, Camp 2's argument is that windows etc.. are not doors where qi can flow in. It must be a main door.

In Singapore, often the practitioner will ask the owner do you or will you have the habit to open the main door and leave it open often? If yes, then one might review the situation and use the main door instead. Thus Camp 1's argument is that if one opens the door, close it most of the time and windows are often opened more often than the main door - slam shut as many living in a condo often, does, than Camp 1 hasa stronger argument that since constant qi doesnot flow in most of the time from the main door, then, we should consider qi coming from the most yang location.

3. Most of the Singapore Feng Shui practitioners "use the most yang" qi 'facing direction" to determine it. Thus, usually based on this it is the side of the home with the most windows especially most of the time it could be standing in the living room looking outwards.

"From some sources, the FD for the house should be the one that receives lots of sunshine and activity, and where there is an open space in front... "

4. As mentioned, above, most Singapore Feng Shui practitioners use the concept that you had mentioned above.

5. If the home already has a history e.g. stayed in for some time, it is no harm drawing two charts as you had mentioned, as directions can greatly differ and then use the info to see which chart is more accurate for one or the other.

6.Many experienced Feng Shui practitioners often goonsiteearlier tosurvey and look around theprospective home before meeting the clients - the idea is to have a feel of where best to determine where qi comes...

7. Living high can in most instances reduce the impact of sha qi at cross roads.. the worst impact is often the ground floor and/or the 2nd floor. However, "white noise" or noise pollution occurs loudest for different homes depending on the height of the road, the distance of the block from the road, any damper like highwalls / trees etc... For example, someone living at 3rd storey may not be affected by road noise. But due to the distance of the house from say a highway, maybe the loudest road noise "attacks" say storeys 7 or 9 etc...

Anonymous wrote:
I'm very new to FS and really hope to learn from all the learned forum'ers here.

The concept that I'm currently trying to learn is the 8M theory. And i have some problems trying to decide which facing direction(FD) should be the FD for my house. My main door is facing NW and my living room is in the SE. One of the walls of my living room is a picture window (facing SE)that extends from the floor to almost the ceiling. Based on what i have learned, the FD for my house may not be that of my main door especially I'm living on the 13th floor. From some sources, the FD for the house should be the one that receives lots of sunshine and activity, and where there is an open space in front. Is this theory true? My concern is that with these two choices i can derive two house gua that have two different impacts on my house sectors. Please advice.

Another question is that my picture window is facing a cross junction and from i learn, by living high, the impact from the "sha chi" is reduced. is this true?

Thank for your attention.

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Really appreciate for your reply and your advice has indeed enlightened me more about FS.

Both my door and my living window open everyday. Due to the extent of my picture window (that occupies almost one of the walls of the living room and extends from the floor to the ceiling), my living room recieved most of the lights from it. Due to the design of my building (i.e. like C-shape), my door actually is facing "inwards" i.e. is blocked by a wall and it is like under a shade from the sun. However, on certain months of the year, sunshine does come into my house from the main door during the evening time. Based on this situation, is it more obvious that i should take the picture window as my basis for the house's FD?

Quote:

Cecil L. wrote:
5. If the home already has a history e.g. stayed in for some time, it is no harm drawing two charts as you had mentioned, as directions can greatly differ and then use the info to see which chart is more accurate for one or the other.

This is a great advice. I will try to use the two chartsto observe the patterns of my life. However, i'm afraid that my intuition/interpretation may be wrong and sohope that Mr Lee can guide us in this ancient art ofFS.

Thank for your advice and attention.Very Happy

• Staff

Attached please find an illustration of the usual way a "C" shaped building's facing direction is taken.

Many Feng Shui practitioners would try to locate the "facing direction" of a building. For some building(s) this could be the front porch or when we look down to the development, there is a water position etc...

• Staff

Let me share with you some of my further observations:-

1. "Camp 2" - practitioners, (in my opinion) are strong believe of bringing in the "theory" of the main door as the facing direction (taken from direct context of how the frontage is usually read from LANDED property.

2. "Camp 1" - Tries to understand where is the "mouth " of the house. Like our mouth, (and nose) is where we "obtain qi" or use this to further enhance the qi of a house. And therefore, the most "yang" location is where qi "often" comes in most of the time and thus try to tap it.

Again, no two homes are the same. And "THERE ARE FRANKLY NO RIGHT OR WRONG ANSWERS"!

As you can see, both sides have their "valid" aguements for or against one another's concept(s).

Hi Master Lee, really appreciate for all your advices.

Quote:

Cecil L. wrote:
Again, no two homes are the same. And "THERE ARE FRANKLY NO RIGHT OR WRONG ANSWERS"!

Does this mean most of the time even the pro also depend on their intuition/experience to determine the FD? It seems that it can be "detrimental"ifthe wrong decision is made from the very beginning. Please forgive me for saying this but it is just my personal concern. I do understand the "grey" areaand thisissomehowbecome more difficultwhen the building is gettng more "wierd"i.e. not assimple as before.

I have roughly doneasketch on my housing environment. Hopethat you can continue to enlighten all of us sothat we have aclear ideaon finding the FDfor our house.

Once again, thank forall your attention.

• Staff

1. Even if many Feng Shui practitioners consider the entire facing direction of this (attachment) "C"-shaped building's facing direction is reading from marking "A" to "B";

2. It is said that in the attached illustration, if there are #6 units in the entire block; Units #3 and #4 is suppose to have better qi. This is generally the view point shared amongst majority FS practitioners.

Please see attachment

Quote:

In Singapore, often the practitioner will ask the owner do you or will you have the habit to open the main door and leave it open often? If yes, then one might review the situation and use the main door instead. Thus Camp 1's argument is that if one opens the door, close it most of the time and windows are often opened more often than the main door - slam shut as many living in a condo often, does, than Camp 1 hasa stronger argument that since constant qi doesnot flow in most of the time from the main door, then, we should consider qi coming from the most yang location.

Once again appreciate Master Lee for all the advices.

Just some random thought of mine. Does that mean by keeping the picture window open and main door shut or vice versa, we can actually change the house's FD and this in turn change the house gua of the house?

Understand that the main door and the living room's window are not advisable to form a straight line and it will be good for the chi to circulate more in the house. Currently my house layout is such, does putting a set of sofaalong thepath helps? Understand someFS masters will advice toput a partition or false wall to smooth down the chi,is this the only alternative?

Once again thank for your advice in advance.

• Staff

1. As your unit's facing and the one parallel to yours overlooking or facing SE seems to be an appropriate choice to be considered as the facing direction (in particular for your unit) in the very unique block design. For other units within your block, would have to be further investigated i.e. the interior layout in relation to where the main door vs living room etc...

2. The NW main door facing seems enclosed while the SE overlooks a "clear space".

• Staff

1. Yes, your assessment seems very logical and "difficult" to fault. And from our best knowledge, the picture window fits the idea of what we would "majority" of the time see where most of the qi may come-in.

2. In the past, for a person to apply Feng Shui is so... simplictic. Especially in China e.g. in Beijing majority of the homes face a certain direction.

3. It is not possible to create a "perfect" model. If we really want to create a perfect model, we have to understand the "hi and low" pressure zones (for those who had studied geography). For those living close to the sea, in the day time, the land form is "warm" and winds may blow from sea to land and vice-versa.

4. Take another example: Occupations and ba zi. For example, most of us would consider say : Marketing or sales as the "Fire element". But the clue here is that "majority" of the time, the key job function is sales. Thus, we can say that most of the time, the person performing sales is a marketing or the fire element. But, it is not surprising to find a sales-person teaching clients how to use a machine etc... Teaching others relates to the wood element. And in all jobs, there is some element of each element in a job: Metal (driving) etc..

5. Like you are trying to do is to DETERMINE the MAJORITY of the time, you feel that qi would "enter" the home MOST of the time i.e. this is what you feel is the "mouth" of the home. In fact, if we are aware that this is indeed the area where qi comes in; we may even "tailor-made" or "TAP" qi to our benefit.

6. So long as we are honest; and feel that we have a valid argument, then go for it! And hope for the best! This is much like "many Kung Fu film stories" we see on the TV:

For example, the Kung Fu show: starts off with a novice Kung Fu learner. He gets bullied. And even some badly beaten. And some-how he manages to get to learn real Kung Fu from one or even many masters. And even learn Kung Fu after fighting with the "enemy". He then even learn to try to counteract his enemy's style(s).

So long as we continously understand or try to understand and learn as "many styles" as possible, we can then try our best to adopt the best practises. We cannot always say that : our method is "superior" or the best! In the past, I did mentioned that many GREAT Feng Shui masters, learn not just one method but try their best to understand as much methods as they can.

Anonymous wrote:
Both my door and my living window open everyday. Due to the extent of my picture window (that occupies almost one of the walls of the living room and extends from the floor to the ceiling), my living room recieved most of the lights from it. Due to the design of my building (i.e. like C-shape), my door actually is facing "inwards" i.e. is blocked by a wall and it is like under a shade from the sun. However, on certain months of the year, sunshine does come into my house from the main door during the evening time. Based on this situation, is it more obvious that i should take the picture window as my basis for the house's FD?

• 3 weeks later...

Cecil L. wrote:
2. The NW main door facing seems enclosed while the SE overlooks a "clear space".
Based on the design of the whole building,can we consider that the unit have a good backing aka mountain? Or does the "mountain" needs to come from another entity e.g. another building? Thank for your attention.

• Staff

In general, based on Shapes and Forms Feng Shui, it is favourable for the whole building to have "clear-space" at the "frontage" and a solid object or mountain, behind it. Of course, another building can be the support. However, this is a general statement and does not mean that all buildings of such a nature may begood.

Quote:
Based on the design of the whole building,can we consider that the unit have a good backing aka mountain? Or does the "mountain" needs to come from another entity e.g. another building? Thank for your attention.