About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Type of Ba guas

myfs_133719

Recently,i have been studying some classical FS and start to appreciate the science behind it. I learn that there are actually two types of bagua i.e.

1. later bagua (cycle of destruction) and

2. early bagua (cycle of production)

It so happens thatmy parents bought a bagua many yrs ago and now facing my main door. Based on the arrangement of the trigrams, the bagua represents that of the earlybagua format. May I know will there be any difference in its effectiveness/functions if the bagua is a later bagua arrangement?

Thank for your attention.

Sponsored Link

• Staff

1. Frankly, it is crucial if we were to work out the formula - for Feng Shui "9 palace" or also known as Flying star Feng Shui for the interior of the home.

2. It is very common to use the First Heaven Sequence or Early sequence ba gua "mirror".

3. Under Photo Tours of Interest (with photos) in this forum website, one can find lots of photos of different types of ba gua "mirror".

4. In general, a ba gua has three major uses:-

4.1. Some use it to "ward" of evil spirits from the home
4.2 Deflect sha qi or poison arrow
4.3. To suck wealth

5. The type of mirror you had mentioned with the ba gua symbols are suppose to ward off evil. Usually this type of ba gua mirror has a "charm diagram" written behind it. This type of ba gua, often may have a "Chi ling" (qi lin) - lion type of face in the middle or combined with a mirror in the middle. Some of these ba gua's may even have a set of door guards on each side of it.

6. Type of mirrors (usually found in the middle of the ba gua) OR on it's own:-

6.1ConVEXmirrors

Used to deflect sha qi or poison arrows.

6.2 Flat mirror

Flat mirrors with ba gua symbols usually is meant to ward offevil spirits.

6.3 ConCAVE mirrors

BECAREFUL! If your neighbour place such a mirror facing your main door, it is meant to suck wealth.

Anonymous wrote:
It so happens thatmy parents bought a bagua many yrs ago and now facing my main door. Based on the arrangement of the trigrams, the bagua represents that of the earlybagua format. May I know will there be any difference in its effectiveness/functions if the bagua is a later bagua arrangement?

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Thank for your prompt reply. Actually, the bagua that we have at home is not a mirror but a piece of metallic "plaque". I have attached a shot of both the front and rear shots for your review.This is not the actual plaque but the pendant but with the same diagrams on both sides.

Thank for your advice in advance.

• Staff

Thanks for the pictures and additional information.

Based on your description, your ba gua "purpose" is suppose to "ward off " bad luck (evil spirits). That's all. Many makers of ba gua, choose the Early (First Heaven) sequence ba gua.

Thus as mentioned previously, it has no additional function unlike those with the concave or convex mirror.

The only other thing is that long time ago, it is common to see a "greenish" looking ba gua. Nowadays, majority are "yellowish" or yours could just be a plastic facade simply showing the 8 ba gua trigrams.

I found this quote from some FS website. May i know how true/accurate is this? Thank for your advice in advance.

Quote:

Nonetheless, if you are now planning to place bagua in your homes, beware that it should only be placed outdoor because if you will place this indoor it could bring you harm. It must be situated at the areas called the ??points of entry of bad luck??, usually at the external portion of doors and windows of your homes or office.

• Staff

Yes, traditionally all Ba Gua mirrors were placed e.g. above a door or window to deflect sha qi.

Thus, it is strongly recommended that ALL BAGUA mirrors are to be hanged facing out-of one's home.

The two major rationale are: A ba gua mirror is considered "too extreme" to be placed inside a home. In the early 1980's some sites were selling ba gua mirrors or even "designer" ba gua mirrors and they were not told not to place inside the home.

Secondly, from my earlier message(s), these mirrors are used for certain reasons. So imagine how to place it inside the home.

• Staff

1. We have to look at the Ba Gua from two dimensions:-

1.1 Ba Guas that CONTAIN or has the markings of the eight trigrams on it. Or any other images on it.

1.2 Mirror(s)

2. Your observations are not alone. For example, many of the common ba guas are found with the trigrams on it. Andthe back ofit has a charm inscription.

3. In the past, I was also wondering that for the Chinese, we live in a differenct culture from the west. And thus the ba gua symbols may govern us. But,I don't think a "western ghost" or spirit will be scared of such a ba gua! Culturally, may havenever even come across it!

4. Thus, in my of those episodes of "Discovery Channel" showing hauntings in homes, and many of the rituals or quite alot has to do more with "western or even native indian" rituals and also several were performed with the cross!

5. Therefore, you are not wrong, to say that even I would agree that if one wants to place a ba gua for the purpose of "protecting" the home, in the west, better use a cross than a ba gua symbol.

6.I did mentionedpreviously that a ba gau mirror is often used for two major purposes (on it's own or combined together):-

6.1 Placed e.g. above a door to "protect" the home from "dirty spirits". (These ba guas have the 8 trigrams on it, even charms behind it or even chi ling (lion head) or even twin door gods pictures on it ...)

6.2 Mirrors usedto deflect (convex mirror) sha qi or "suck in" (concave mirror)wealth.

7. Thusin the west, if needed it should be used for the later i.e. para 6.2 and not with the intention to be used under Para 6.1

Anonymous wrote:
Is bagua considered as a tool for symbolic FS (which i get to learn from some FS website where the culture and belief of the ppl in concern matters alot) or is it really used as a cure? If it is really FS cure, how does it realy work in harmonizing/blocking/deflecting the chi in the area that it is being implemented? Looking forward for your enlightenment.

Dear Master Lee,

not very sure is this a stupid question or not. please forgive my ignorance.

Is bagua considered as a tool for symbolic FS (which i get to learn from some FS website where the culture and belief of the ppl in concern matters alot) or is it really used as a cure? If it is really FS cure, how does it realy work in harmonizing/blocking/deflecting the chi in the area that it is being implemented? Looking forward for your enlightenment.

• Staff

1. I feel that another cultural identify of the Chinese 7th lunar month or simply called the Hungry Ghost month may not affect those whose culture does not have anything to do with being a Chinese.

2. Thus the morale of the storey " Don't follow blindly especially aspects familiar to only one culture but not to the other culture! Like the "cross" or the "ba gua symbols".

Quote:
Cecil L. wrote:
2. Thus the morale of the story " Don't follow blindly especially aspects familiar to only one culture but not to the other culture! Like the "cross" or the "ba gua symbols".

Thank for your reply. And so from what i infer from what you have said, ba gua is also a cure that works if u believe in its effectiveness. Am i correct to say so?