About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Sleeping direction - which is the best?

suda

Dear Cecil,
Kudos on a great site!
Need a clarification about the best sleeping direction. My bedroom is towards the southeast-south. Currently, I sleep with my head to the southeast. If I have to change, the only other direction I can put my head would be kind of southwest or almost west. I am a south east person living in a north east facing house. I feel most comfortable in this bedroom.
Looking forward to your advice,
Thanks,
Suda

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Sudha,
Please see below:-

On 10/18/99 8:09:19 PM, Anonymous wrote:
Dear Cecil,
Kudos on a great site!
Glad that you find this site useful:)
Need a clarification about the
best sleeping direction. My
bedroom is towards the
southeast-south. Currently, I
sleep with my head to the
southeast. If I have to
change, the only other
direction I can put my head
would be kind of southwest or
almost west. I am a south east
person living in a north east
facing house. I feel most
comfortable in this bedroom.
Looking forward to your
advice,
Thanks,
Suda
Can I check with you with whether have you taken into consideration the following factors in assessing your home/bedroom using the Eight House Theory:-

1. The intangible force (auspicious or inauspicious) influencing i.e. the bedroom is more important than sleeping with the head facing a good direction.
Hope that you would take the above into consideration. Where possible sleep closer/nearer to a good auspicious intangible force location.
2. Pay attention to the Four Symbolic Animals Concept (Ref: http://www.geomancy.net/fs/four.htm ) where the bed headrest should be firmly against a wall. Note other important considerations like the bed not directly in full view of the bedroom door.
Try not to place the bed on the opposite wall as the toilet bowl...
Only after taking into consideration the above, then, you have the `luxury' of getting your head facing a good direction.
Warmest Regards,
Cecil

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Dear Cecil,
Thanks for your message. I am giving some more details as there were some other clarifications I needed. I have checked out the eight house theory. Mine is a south east house. I live in a north east house. Accordingly, in the bedroom I sleep in, I get my health line. I sleep on the floor, and the foot of my bed is near my health line. Is this the correct way? My bed is almost in the middle of the room. I do not have much room to manouevre, because against the south wall are three cupboards. My head position is presently south east. The wall is some feet away behind my head. Halfway up in it is a big window with sliding glass panes. I keep it partly open at night for fresh air. When sleeping, I can also see the bedroom door and through it into the kitchen. I use a night light, yet sometimes I come awake and then have trouble getting back to sleep because I end up watching the door or looking over my head at the window and feeling slightly uneasy. Other times, it does not affect me. In the daytime, it does not affect me at all. Anything to do with my sleeping position, the cupboards, etc?
You've said that the dragon is to the East but show it on the left of the house. So this East is not as in the direction, East? Because in my case, the east comes to the right of my house.
Also, where does one put the shoes/slippers one uses everyday as well as the new/sometimes used ones? Does one follow the bagua and keep it in a particular place? Or where the bad intangible lines come in?
Please do clarify.
With thanks and regards,
Sudha

• Staff

Dear Sudha,
Thanks for taking the time to do a Eight House.
1. Based on your Eight House:
N = Longevity
NE = Disaster (Currently the door of the house)
E = Prosperity
SE = Health
S = Excellent
SW = Irritation
W = Spook
NW = Death
Since SE is the health line, is it possible for your head to face East (Prosperity), South (Excellent), North (Longevity) or SE (Health).
These are the sectors your head should face.
2. Another observation is that where possible it is best to sleep with the head rest against a wall rather than on an `island' on its own.
3. You should also watch out for `poision arrows' since there are three cupboards. Look out for the edge of these cupboards. If one or more is pointed towards your bed, this is sha qi. In such a `tight' room, if it is pointed at you, there is really not much you can do.
4. Where one can see the bedroom door and into the kitchen; would result in restless sleep. I am not sure how hot it is at your location. But if it is really `hot', you may not have a choice but to leave the door open. This is considered the `best' of the two alternatives.
5. If you are the breadwinner, in general, the house is considered one of the least suitable to you.
6. Frankly, traditional Feng Shui does not `talk much' about the placement of slippers. Usually, it can be left outside the house or kept neatly in a shoe rack. The shoe rack usually have ventillation holes.
In your case, if it is a common practise in your country to leave e.g. the slippers outside the house, it is still acceptable practice.
7. Currently, I am not sure about the effectivness of hanging a Ba Gua mirror; other than for the Chinese. Even many Western Practioners do not practise this especially for their clients in such countries.
Furthermore, you must be very careful not to display the Ba Gua mirror inside a home as under Chinese beliefs it will bring Sha Qi.
8. The Four Symbolic Animal Concept is used widely to represent a few concepts.
As this is a diagramatic illustation, it is used in a few different situations:
a. Under the Shapes and Form School:
Here, when you stand at the main entrance facing out of the house, the Dragon is at the East, the Tiger is at the West, the Tortise is at the back of the house and the Bird/Phoenix is at the front of the house.
b. Under the Compass School:
We add the `element' of colour. Under the compass school, the GREEN Dragon is the EAST, the BLACK Tortise is the NORTH, the RED Phoenix is at the SOUTH, the WHITE Tiger is at the WEST.
You will notice that the meaning behind the four animals is different under the Shapes and Form and the Compass School.
This is often why many users are confused over above.
It is always easier to understand concepts using pictorial representations and I hope, you will understand that many FS Schools use such objects to explain certain concepts easier. But this has in some cases added confusion.
Warmest Regards,
Cecil

On 10/26/99 9:13:33 PM, Anonymous wrote:
Dear Cecil,
Thanks for your message. I am
giving some more details as
there were some other
clarifications I needed. I
have checked out the eight
house theory. Mine is a south
east house. I live in a north
east house. Accordingly, in