About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Moving in Ritual

myfs_138233

DearCecil,

It's me again! Ihave some questions which need your advice.... I have just recently completed my house renovation and has started sourcing for furniture and electrical appliances, including an altar for my buddha figurine... But my partner and I are not officially married yet.. So, while we will do up the house, we wont officially move in yet (though we may go there to stay on some weekends)... So, do we do an official move-in ritual and when? Do we do that just prior to our official marriage (which wont be so soon but within a year)? How shd the sequencing of the moving in of furniture, electrial appliances and budda figurine be done? Do we need to choose an auspicious date for the delivery of the furniture and appliances? Thanks for your time... Pai sey pai sey... Have a good week ahead! Smile

Best regards,
Cally

Sponsored Link

• Staff

1. You can check out procedures on setting up the bed etc.. under this documentation:-

http://www.geomancy.net/info/ (In particular: Modern & Traditional Wedding Procedure )

2. If not "properly" marrried, should avoid setting up a queen or king sized bed in the master bedroom. It is preferred that one sleeps in another bedroom when visiting the new home - until actual marriage.

3. House move in can be done anytime, before marriage or before actual marriage. But if one intends to stay on weekends, than try to find a good date to do a proper "move-in". You can bring in all your furniture, electrical appliances and again, set a good day to move-in.

4. For buddha figurine, if you are not "dottting" the eyes of the buddha, than it should be treated as a decorative piece. Anytime can bring in - no issue. However, if one is bringing in a buddha figurine to pray, then it should only accompany you into the home when you "permanently" moved in.

4. As mentioned under Para 3, house move in is distinct from setting up the bed etc... Please view Para 2.

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Dear Cecil,

Thank you so much for your fast response... If ROM, is that considered "properly married"?

Does it mean that my furniture and electrical appliances can be delivered anytime, but I just need to find a good auspicious date for move-in? Since I probably will be staying there for some weekends only for the time being, I think I wont do a proper move-in yet. By the way, without proper move-in (and I am not staying there yet), any issues with me throwing some house warming parties at my new house? My friends have been asking! Thank you so much for your time!

Best regards,

Cally

• Staff

For Chinese, ROM is just a formality (in the eyes of the law) and I believe, still today, many older folks still feel that only after one has gone thru the traditional Chinese customary wedding especially where there must be a tea ceremony can then; be considered as truly "being married".

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

1. For practical reasons, it is acceptable to bring in "items" for the new home.

2. The most common items are definitely new furnitures; delivery of new fridge, washing machine etc... As often we don't have a control nor want to have huge bottleneck when suddenly nearly everyone turns up at the home to do an installation.

3. Frankly, it is fine to bring in "old" or used furniture or items. Just to take note that especially during the Chinese 7th month; and if one really wants to avoid the notation that one has moved in during the 7th month should not do any 3 of these activities:-

3.1. Prepare cooked meals and eat the meal at the dining table PLUS

3.2. Bathe in the home. (If it is a condo, no issue with swimming and going to the condo public toilet to bathe there) PLUS

3.3. For the masters of the home, avoid sleeping especially on a proper bed in the master bedroom.

4. Thus,if we want to avoid like "accidentally"considered as moved-in to a new home especially during the Chinese 7th month, then if possible try to avoidcontinuous activity of 3.1 to 3.2. to 3.3. If allthese activities are done, then it may be considered as moved-in.

5. Can draw a parallel with Chinese wedding (customs and procedures). Here, many couples have done now and in the past: put on their wedding glowns and suites and taken wedding photos way in advance of the actual Traditional Chinese wedding ceremony.

6. Taking wedding photos in the wedding glowns and suites does not necessarily mean that one has consummate the wedding on the photo taking day.

7. Thus bringing in items is very common - and practical in our modern world.

Dear Master Lee,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Really appreciate!

I am already married legally and have gone through the traditional customs many years back.

Just to clarify based on my understanding of your message,

1. it is ok to shift in old furniture (e.g sofa, TV), new furniture and electrical appliance, our clothes before the "move in ritual" day

this year, there are 2 5th lunar months, so if we move in during the
6th lunar month, it is not considered as the lunar 7th month right? My
grandmother said best not move in during the 6th lunar month cos it is
considered as the 7th month but i really doubt what she says.

thanks once again. This forum is really a good platform for us to learn from you and from the questions posted by others.

• Staff

1. Yes, it is very common to bring in items into the home before move-in.

2. If it is not the 7th month, it is not the 7th month. As mentioned in a recent forum message, the elderly just don't like the 6th month. Not because it is the "7th" month (how can this be)

BUT rather, the elderly don't like it because it symbolises 50-50. Neither here nor there as the 6th month is half-half (between the 1st and the 12th lunar month). This is the rationale behind why some elderly reasoned as no good - 6th month, that's all.