About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Bladed weapon (Swords) as living room displays

myfs_140026

Dear master Cecil Lee,

Master, I have inherited samurai swords (katana)with their rest standand found them asan artistic pieces suitable for display in living room..

The problem is, their sheaths or coering were missing and they were exposed, when resting in their stand, they were blade-side up. Because I believe in Feng Shui, their display might cause poison arrows, but I want them to be maintainedas an aesthetic and familial historical piece.

I made sure the swords on display never pointed towards any door or corner, and instead confined them inside a wood and glass cabinet...Does this made them neutral? Any advice whether to keep them permanently, but I don't want them inside the bedroom.

Thanks you and warm regards.

Your follower,

Lam Ngan Lung.

Sponsored Link

• Staff

1. Yes, symbolically; it is technically considered inauspicious to have the uncovered sword facing the main door or within the living room area.

2. Actually, there are a few people who have displayed such objects and apparently "lived-through" it. In fact, there are some who took advise from some geomancers to display a sword made up by stringing Chinese ancient coins and some have placed it in the living room.

3. Commonsense approach to Feng Shui:-

3.1 The reason why some consider it inauspicious to have such a sword in few view of "visitors" is the unlikely chance that they get hold of it and use it to their "evil" ends.

3.2 However, Para 3.1 is less often a concern.

3.3 What is more concern in the commonsense is to get an innocent child of 3 years or more and getting hold of it or injuring themselves or their siblings or family members on it.

3.4 It is like in the US, where a child gets hold of his fathers shotgun and literally play with it.

4. Otherwise, in theory, there is no other concern other than to safely lock it up if it is on display.

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Thanks Master, I had installed cabinet lock where they were kept. It somewhat cause concern regarding isitors might tempt to touch them...My kids are accustomed with the swords.

I had encountered before, displays such bladed weapons and canons are as effective as the ba-gua in counter/block sha qi or their sources. How true isthis Sifu? Or it is just a textbook feng shui approach.

• Staff

1. It all depends on culture.

2. Even for the Chinese; there are some differences.

3. For example, let's take Hong Kong vs Singapore.

4. Hong Kong is just below (Cantonese enclave) Guangdong, China. And much of the population are Cantonese. As such the Cantonese have a preference for things like: mirrors facing the dining table. And a well documented case of the Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank building is installed with canon figurines (although they don't fire real canons; they look like real canon's aimed at the other building).

5. Thus, in Hong Kong, they (Hong Kong people) take their Feng Shui very seriously.

6. Singapore has the largest population of overseas Hokkiens or from Fujian Province. And Taiwan, is considered by the Chinese as still part of China, they have another large population of Hokkiens.

7. In general, the Hokkiens are seen to be more "easy going" or more flexible in their approach to things like cultural traditions. You don't see canons on top of Singapore buildings aimed at another building.. Unless, a business brings in a Cantonese Geomancer and things may turn that way.

8. Thus, so long one keys the items safely under lock and key; and with the majority of the Chinese population : Hokkiens; there is much leeway in such situations.

9. Some has done what you do and more and get away with it... in Singapore...

Yes Master, I agree with your statements, I know many Fukienese in our place which were much, say, laid back than us of Cantonese descent...as they are more versatile in business.

The HSBC Tower designed by I.M. Pei, for me isn't really blending with HK skyline...many people protested its construction...say the architects name and the building itself has ominous overtones. I also hear of mirror and ba-gua wars in HK and Guangdong. I also consider myself obsessed with Feng shui, as in taking it literally and with caution.

Thanks Master for the time...looking forward to be enlightened again.

• 10 years later...
  • 4 months later...