About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Build partition in between main door & window

myfs_139496

Hi Master

I know many people tends to build a partition in between main door and window to prevent "Qi" from flowing out. I always like to think of various alternatives and I have the following thoughts: -

1) Leaving the main door close most of the time. I thought this might be an alternatives for some who has problem keeping their window closed instead. For new apartments like condo and newly built HDB, this can be easily achieved.

2) What if the inflow of air from the window is larger than the door? Is the partition still necessary?

3) What is the window is far away from the door? Say for instance 8 to 10 metres away? In school, we study that flow of air will slow down over distance. Assuming distance is far, "Qi" won't flow in from the door and then flow out from the window.

Thank you

Sponsored Link

• Staff

1. Good thoughts & observations.

2. Generally, these are guidelines when installing a partition:-

2.1. It need not be air-tight. For example, it can be made of staggered vertical wooden poles.

2.2. Usually a Feng Shui ruler is used to measure and install the width of the partition. For example, in many instances the best size of the width of the partition can be 42 inches (auspicious Feng Shui ruler dimension). The biggest partition size is 49 3/4 inches.

2.3. Often, it is best that the partition does not have reflective glass facing the main door. Here, symbolically, one does not want to have wealth reflected out of the main entrance door. While the commonsense explanation is that when we open the main door; one may suddenly see one's reflection and get a "shock" to see an image of a person standing "in-front" of us.

2.4. A partition need not be of full height. Often for cosmetic reason, it can cover up to the door frame or lower. This is to allow reflected light to penetrate towards the ceiling and to the main door - not so dark.

3. The above are some of the considerations when installing a partition:

You said: "1) Leaving the main door close most of the time. I thought this might be an alternatives for some who has problem keeping their window closed instead. For new apartments like condo and newly built HDB, this can be easily achieved."

3.1 Thus it does not need to cover fully the main door nor again be air-tight. Yes, it is true. Often, permanently closing one of the window panels and drawing the curtain on that side of the window facing the main door can be one possibility.

2) What if the inflow of air from the window is larger than the door? Is the partition still necessary?

3.2 As mentioned under Para 2.2. Often, it is recommended that the partition use auspicious Feng Shui ruler dimension(s). And that the window facing the door if possible could be either closed most of the time or not fully opened.

3.3 In many "older" generation homes, these homes have balcony sliding doors and an open balcony no windows. Here, many home owners use the sliding door facing the main door as a kind of partition.

3) What is the window is far away from the door? Say for instance 8 to 10 metres away? In school, we study that flow of air will slow down over distance. Assuming distance is far, "Qi" won't flow in from the door and then flow out from the window.

3.4 Technically, you are correct, here. But equvalent to "legally" so long as the main door face a window be it 8 to 10 metres away, this is still a direct path of qi.

What I meant is for example: even if we keep a safe distance from another car; but if another car slams the back of that car andas a resultthe car slams intothe back of the front car; legally, solong one slamsor kiss another car's backside for whatever reason; legally one is wrong.

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

• Cecil Lee pinned this topic
  • 1 year later...

Hello mr. Cecil, 

I want to put partition in front of my front door because when i open the front door i'll be able to see dining room and kitchen. 

My partition will be made from Iron and glass, so it make 3x5 square (illustration here) full from ceiling to floor, with total width around 90cm - 1m. is this partition ok in term of material and size? 

Thank you

03BCCA1F-D41F-48D7-9600-3A3A9535C15E.jpeg

• Staff
15 hours ago, Haitsu said:

Hello mr. Cecil, 

I want to put partition in front of my front door because when i open the front door i'll be able to see dining room and kitchen. 

My partition will be made from Iron and glass, so it make 3x5 square (illustration here) full from ceiling to floor, with total width around 90cm - 1m. is this partition ok in term of material and size? 

Thank you

03BCCA1F-D41F-48D7-9600-3A3A9535C15E.jpeg

1. Ideally, the partition should not have lots of reflective glass facing the front door.

1.1. This because on occasions some may be frightened seeing a shadow or image of oneself… when coming into the home.

1.2. Thus if glass is used, try to the the sand blasted side facing the front door. Or use opaque film, here.

2. Contrary to popular belief, it is not necessary to have a fully “air-tight” partition. But I guess, one of your main purpose is to “hide” the open kitchen? Or stove and sink. If so, can.

2.1. However the trade-off is that one may have a blind spot of the front door. 

2.2. The concern could be a loved one standing talking to someone or stranger .. at the door area and one cannot really see what is happening..or someone may be trying to pry the lock etc.. or that the door is ajar…

3. Otherwise, still can install it.