About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

What do you think is the best book to read?

Cecil Lee

• Staff

Dear Leslie,
Thanks for sharing with all of us your experience on how you got started on Feng Shui.
I guess most users started `learning' Feng Shui from various sources. For those fortunate to live in countries in the Far East such as Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia and Singapore or Canada (where some FS Masters have migrated from Hong Kong) these users, if they are lucky could study under a FS Master. Alternatively, if you are near to Feng Shui `centres' in US, England or Australia, this would be a good way to learn.
However, the next best alternative are as you have mentioned Feng Shui books.
Currently, there are so many good Feng Shui authors around and you can choose from a wide range. If your local book store has books on Feng Shui, it is best to browse around and look thru them to find one suitable for you.
Depending on what books you are looking for, certain authors specialize in specific topics.
For example: Lillian Too writes a range of Feng Shui books and most of her books are `applied feng shui' where you simply apply what you see in her books.
If you want to write research materials for a school/college or university assignment, you could read books from Evelyn Lip who is a trained accountant. Her books always provide biographies.
If you want to learn more about 5 elements, you could read the Feng Shui Handbook by Derek Walters.
For books on Chinese Horoscopes, books by Ho Man Kwok.
For books on 9 Star Ki (same as Feng Shui) but originate from Japan you can read books by Jon Sandiers or some other authors on this subject.
For books on Pillars of Destiny, read books by Raymond Lo
I guess, to be an all rounder in Feng Shui, you should not stick to one author but
read lots of Feng Shui book.
The earlier Feng Shui books written by Derek Walters: especially his work simply titled: " Feng Shui " makes interesting reading with a dab of rich history and applied Feng Shui.
Nowadays, I do see many good authors coming up with equally good books on Feng Shui. Some have even created templates and easy to digest Feng Shui under the " 9 Star Ki". These authors are usually not from the traditional school of Feng Shui i.e. directly originate from Hong Kong, Taiwan etc.. but are just as good.
The only caution is that if you ask lots of "Traditional" Feng Shui practioners, they still prefer the use of Feng Shui as `taught' to them (and myself). We normally do not use 9 Star Ki (friendly to use thou).
Most `Traditional' Feng Shui practioners would like readers to steer clear of the Black Hat Sect Feng Shui. To find out more, you can browse thru: http://www.geomancy.net/fs/addsites.htm
Under para 3. The confessions of Professor Lin Yun of the Black Hat Sect.
I noticed that there are still quite a number of his followers who had written books. Where possible, get books written by either authors who are `Traditional' FS practioners or 9 star Ki practioners.
Better still, if you understand Mandarin, books written by authors e.g Hong Kong ones in this language are really `Excellent'!
Wishing You Success in your Application of Feng Shui!
Cecil

On 1/18/99 3:25:10 AM, Anonymous wrote:
Living in the US and in
California my first contact
with Feng Shui was finding the
book "The Western Art of Feng
Shui". I liked the book it
made a lot of sense and I
realized that I had been
practicing Feng Shui without
even realizing it. Then I
found Thorstons "Principles of