About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Renovation After Death of Family Member

myfs_161505

Dear Master Lee,

I would like to ask for your advice regarding renovation on my BTO flat.

One of my family members just passed away.

Understand that the place where the deceased stayed should not be renovated for certain period of time.

Does the same apply that I need to wait for certain period of time before I can renovate my HDB BTO flat (new place)?

Thank you very much for your advice!

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Firstly, sorry tohear ofthe demise of your family member.

These are some considerations:-

1. Frankly, strictly speaking the field of Feng Shui is scientific with the addition of the "Art" of it.

2. Thus, the field of Feng Shui is has nothing to do with Chinese beliefs or customs.

3. What then?

3.1. In Singapore, we have so many Chinese of different dialect origins: Cantonese, Teochews, Hokkiens, Hakka etc..

3.2. Here, each has its traditions, beliefs and guidelines passed down perhaps from grandparents and other elders be it one's close relative or a trusted family person.

3.3. Thus, one should look within such circles.

3.4. Often in the past and even today; if a family has a "firm" matriarch; then this is the first person one needs to approach. And their words are law.

4. Frankly other than the above "layer" Para 3.2 to 3.4; there is no encyclopedia of what is right and wrong.

5. And I believe, you have no one to turn to whom you could perhaps trust as a reliable guide. Since, even modern matriarch are like "church mice" or even not familiar withpast traditions and have simple views not steeped in traditional beliefs.

6. Please see attachment. Recently, a potential client wrote a WhatsApp message to me:-

"Sorry we disappeared for a while bcos my hb's grandfather passed on and we wanted to wait till 3mths is over before we work on our new home."

6.1 I believe the above (this family) still keeps strong beliefs even if as you mentioned: it is logical to conclude that the deceased has never stayed in your HDB BTO.

7. In your instance; if you do have any elders such as relatives like uncles; aunties steep in this tradition or not?

8. To conclude; I am a free thinker; I would 100 percent agree with what you wrote i.e. deceased never stayed in your new home. And if I am in your shoes; I would proceed to renovate my new home especially if there are constraints like; I have sold my existing home or need to move-out for other reasons by certain date.

9. Wishing you both Health, Wealth and Happiness!

On 5/23/2016 9:50:16 AM, Anonymous wrote:
Dear Master Lee,I would like
to ask for your advice
regarding renovation on my BTO
flat.One of my family members
just passed away.Understand
that the place where the
deceased stayed should not be
renovated for certain period
of time.Does the same
apply that I need to wait for
certain period of time before
I can renovate my HDB BTO flat
(new place)?Thank you very
much for your advice!

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

• 2 years later...
  • Staff

Master Cecil, my FIL just passed away last Friday. Can I check with you will this affect our key collection, door opening and Reno?

Sorry to learn about your loss. 
Key collection, renovations are not like getting married.

For many Chinese of different dialect groups have no issue with this. Just don't wear red during key collection

A5A57466-E040-4169-99F6-94F10B04C2B0.jpeg

P.S. There are no fixed rules. For example, especially for some who had sold their present home; have to get their new homes ready. Else...