About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

[9.] Chinese Altar: Which location for altar?

JND

Sponsored Link

• Staff

1. In general, assuming there is no modification of the interior walls e.g. shifting the kitchen door / knocking down the master bedroom 2 wall / relocating the door; or placing the altar into a bedroom etc...

2. The attachment are some considerations. However, because of so many gods, locations with a green "S" may not be possible as there is not much space left for the sofa or the TV console etc...

3. Location marked with an "X" not shown in the legend may have a long term "health" concern. 

3.1. For example, if there are family members at home most of the time; and if one always lights up joss-sticks, the fumes would often flow into the bedrooms.

3.2. In a local tertiary study, it was found that long term exposure to the joss fumes is akin to second-hand smoke and may cause long term lung cancer.

altar placement.gif

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

• Staff

1. In this illustration.. the most likelihood of exposure to joss fumes is location marked as "X2".

2. Although location S1 may also have the same effect, but usually, because it is next to the kitchen door and the main door, it is definitely less of an issue. As it is also furthest to the bedroom area.

3. Other than Para 1 above, X2 is considered the better choice given that there are so many i.e. 3 gods. And one needs a large altar table of usually at least 42 " ; 49 3/4 " or a 5 feet table.

4. Do take note that if the altar table is placed at X2; no one should sleep sharing that same wall as the altar. Anyway, that space should often be a cabinet / wardrope.

joss fumes.gif

Hi Master Lee,

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. :)

One more question, for position X2, will there be any extra attention needed should there be alterations to the kitchen e.g move of kitchen door or wall or open concept or dinning table location, etc since the altar is facing the kitchen and dinning room?

Edited by JND

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Traditionally Chinese altars must adhere to the auspicious dimensions of the Chinese carpenter ruler known commonly as the Feng Shui ruler.

To be considered auspicious, bother the TOP and bottom wordings must be red. The TOP on its own represents Yang or for the living. Guess what the bottom is for? You are right: Yin or for the deity and the dead.

Generally if one wants to tailor made an altar then these two examples are acceptable.

One altar is slightly larger to cater for an ancestor tablet. Thus when looking towards the altar, the ancestor tablet should be slightly lower and to the right.

final.jpg

final.jpg

final.jpg

final.jpg

final.jpg

• Staff
On 27/02/2017 at 0:40 PM, Guest poh said:

always have thought that facing the door is the best option.

This has more to do with perception than Feng Shui.

1. When we enter a religious temple; we usually enter by the main entrance.

1.1 This is why it is a common perception some of us feel when they consider the placement of an altar. Especially for gods like Guan Kong. 

1.2 Plus an added bonus of a Two in one privacy partition.

1.3 Sometimes there is no other viable choice. If so refer to Para 1.

2. Other sides of the coin other than Guan Kong:

2.1 My main door directly faces a Neighbours main door. Some Neighbours view this as a threat. 

2.2 Some even considered placing a convex   Bagua mirror to this "threat".

2.3 Some gods may be sensitive and feel that by doing so; it is like getting them to guard the door. Are they some condo security Guards? But non-salaried?

3. I can think of more negatives... but nevermind... look at it this way... better than inhaling more fumes from those joss sticks ... as who sticks around the main door whole day?

• 1 month later...
Guest Steven

Dear Master,

Please advise me, if i can place Guan Gong altar facing SE 165°, while my front door is facing NW 330°. Which means, facing inward of the house towards the window.

Appreciated.

• Staff
8 hours ago, Guest Steven said:

Dear Master,

Please advise me, if i can place Guan Gong altar facing SE 165°, while my front door is facing NW 330°. Which means, facing inward of the house towards the window.

Appreciated.

This is acceptable if it is Guan Yin.

But for Guan Gong, more often, it is preferred that it faces the main entrance. 

If really, really no choice; what to do... call it "bo pian" (no choice = last resort...what to do...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Ancestral Altar placement

Hello Master Li,

We just moved in and I am looking for a place for the Ancestral Altar.  Not Guan Yin, etc.  I have the Guan Yin placed facing the main door but not directly facing the main door.  Guan Yin and other god's altar are placed in a cabinet 6 feet away from the main door but still facing out with great big window.  Guan Yin and other Gods are facing 290 West.

Now I am looking for a place for the ancestral altar.  I have a fnished basement that serves as the family room and office.  Open big space with sofa set, TV and sound units.  Can I have it in the basement?  Take note it is a finished basement.  And I got newly painted now ready to install the altar.

I have a spot 260 West which is at a corner (Option 1).   The back of this wall is the storage shelf

Then (option 2) is 295 North West but this is a little below the small window.   The back of this one is already outside.

I am planning to buy this altar for the Ancestral altar.  18" x 32" x 14.6"  NT furniture Buddha Altar Shelf Stand Wooden Wall Rack Nop (18x32x14.6 inches, Cherry)   

This is okay?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

mmh