About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Common sense: Had removed a WC from my yard toilet three years ago. Now it smells!

Cecil Lee

• Staff

If the WC sewerage drain pipe is not properly capped, this can occur.

As often the contractor merely places a plastic membrane sheet and covered by a tile.

Once the “u-trap” no longer hold liquid, by osmosis, the sewer smell may slowly seep out of this tile. Thus causing the stench.

The disadvantage of capping is the floor may have to be raised to accommodate this plug.

69840DA8-4E7B-495E-A1CE-EEE4415E08AC.jpeg

9E0ADDCC-F350-4016-AAAE-C8FF8A97F1A7.jpeg

B8D4B40B-DD20-4898-A990-2D978A385138.jpeg

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

• 7 months later...
Sponsored Link

• Staff

Learn why may got smell!
Source & Credit:

IMG_7831.thumb.jpeg.03cc50ef282e1e68a0d06baa60713753.jpeg

Under every drain in your house, there's a trap thạt holds water and prevents sewer gas from flowing up into the air you breathe. But if you have a shower that's been abandoned since the kids moved out or a floor drain that never gets used, the water in the trap can eventually evaporate.
That lets in stinky—or even dangerous-sewer gases. The solution is a few ounces of cooking oil.
Dump a bucket of water down the drain to refill the trap. Then add the oil. The floating oil forms a se

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Staff

Source & Credit:

Dear all, 

My common toilet has been having a sewage smell on and off for the last couple of years. Tried a few remedies - plumbers resealed the toilet bowl, town council replastered the joints of the big pipes, finally called hdb down to check. 

The hdb guy’s answer was that 20 years ago, my contractor had cut off the air vent pipe for aesthetic reasons, and now the seal for that opening, which is under the bathroom tiles, must have worn out already and that is why my bathroom stinks. 

Now I am renovating the whole toilet and I’ve asked for the air vent pipe to be reinstated. My current contractor who is very experienced and has done other work well for us before , is surprised by hdb raising this air vent issue. He says nobody (aside from hdb’s HIP) puts in the air vent pipe any more, and to him the logic is faulty bcos if the pipe is sealed n buried, there’s no way to have any smell, while if the pipe is installed there, there is a way for the smell to escape since there’s a pipe that can develop a leak. 

The pipe is obviously ugly so I would rather not have it, but I don’t want to deal with this smelly issue again. Should I insist on the air vent pipe?

IMG_2192.thumb.jpeg.3658b4f6b05faec492142fc4c9f3e965.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

TOILET BUSINESS: LID LEAVE OPEN OR CLOSED POSITION?

image.png.1d54d108cdd17005de39a8b29dbdddce.png

When flushing the toilet, should I let the lid down or leave the lid open?

image.png.f34af271d16dc262fe8c3e63087db163.png

1. Scientists have discovered that flushing a toilet bowl will cause plumes of bacteria and viruses to spread. 

2. The flushing causes plumes of tiny droplets to spread through the air to every surface of the bathroom.

3. These scientists also mentioned that it does not matter if the toilet bowl lid remains up or down.

4. We are thus advised to do regularly cleaning of the bowl and disinfecting the toilet bowl to get rid of the most nastiest bacteria.

+++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++
++++++

Source & Credit: Published by University of Arizona
in the American Journal of Infection Control

Impacts of lid closure during toilet flushing and of toilet bowl cleaning on viral contamination of surfaces in United States restrooms - American Journal of Infection Control (ajicjournal.org)

image.thumb.png.5fa432893b8ebc5995ae9738dc7a1128.png

Highlights

• Viral aerosols from toilet flushing pose a possible route of pathogen transmission.
  • Toilet lid closure prior to flushing is believed to mitigate cross-contamination.
  • We show toilet lid closure prior to flushing does not mitigate cross-contamination.
  • Brushing toilet bowl without disinfectant results in contamination of surfaces.
  • The use of a disinfectant during bowl cleaning reduces cross-contamination of surfaces.

Background

Viral aerosols generated during toilet flushing represent a potential route of pathogen transmission. The goal of this study was to determine the impact of toilet lid closure prior to flushing on the generation of viral aerosols and cross-contamination of restroom fomites.

Methods

A surrogate for human enteric viruses (bacteriophage MS2) was added to household and public toilet bowls and flushed. The resulting viral contamination of the toilet and other restroom surfaces was then determined.

Results

After flushing the inoculated toilets, toilet seat bottoms averaged >107 PFU/100 cm2. Viral contamination of restroom surfaces did not depend on toilet lid position (up or down). After toilet bowls were cleaned using a bowl brush with or without a commercial product (hydrochloric acid), a >4 log10 (>99.99%) reduction in contamination of the toilet bowl water was observed versus no product. Bowl brush contamination was reduced by 1.6 log10 (97.64%) when the product was used versus no product.

Conclusions

These results demonstrate that closing the toilet lid prior to flushing does not mitigate the risk of contaminating bathroom surfaces and that disinfection of all restroom surfaces (ie, toilet rim, floors) may be necessary after flushing or after toilet brush used for the reduction of virus cross-contamination.

• Like 1