About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Stove facing fixed door or near stairs? Odd Kitchen Layout

sacheung

Hi Master Cecil Lee,

We really need your help. We have a small old house, with kitchen located on the left of the house (entrance written on diagram below), with a very narrow nook at the back.

We are not sure which one is the ideal kitchen layout for each water and fire element, in which position is the stove in commanding position?

Also if using Option 1, supposedly stove could not face a door, but what if it's fixed window?
If using Option 2, the stove is very near to the stair start.

Really am seeking for your advice, really appreciate it!

KitchenTebet2.thumb.png.1a96ac4a0abb9bf4c3beb594940f9d04.png

Kitchen Tebet2.png

Sponsored Link

• Staff

In my opinion, generally amongst the two Options, Option 1 although not perfect but is the better of the two options.

However, do take note of these considerations:

1. Since this house has a second level, one should try to visualise what is directly above this kitchen at the 2nd storey:

1.1. For the 2nd storey (or level) , ideally the stove should not be directly above a bed or bed-head.

1.2. For the ground floor, make sure that the stove is not directly below a toilet / toilet waste pipes of say the 2nd storey (or level).

1.3. The water pipe(s) for the sink should not be running close to 6 inches past the stove.

1.4. Best to close the windows (especially windy conditions) for it to affect e.g. a gas stove = flame-out. Or wind vortex affecting the stove/flame.

image.png.a0316cf08dd61f15ae6bad19d4bdefcc.png

1.5. [Below] Common sense + safety reasons, ideally the stove should not be too close to the stairs. Such that in the effect of smoke/fire, this may engulf the stairs and spread-upwards to the 2nd storey (level).

1.5.1. In addition, touch-wood - in an intense flame/fire situation, this may impact on the movement along this staircase.

1.5.2. Also do check that no bed/bed-head is above this stove, also.

image.png.fc4089d4a6d2f5c4ba3869358627862e.png

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

• Staff

Locally in Singapore - Common Small 1 Storey Studio apartment layout plan
It is also pretty common for the stove to be as shown, here.
For example, although the stove does not directly face an opening, it is fully visible when the front door is opened.

image.thumb.png.3f4a96f6d644f51cb314872d85846772.png

Hi Master @Cecil Lee, thank you so much for your prompt response. I forgot to mention that in Option 1, directly exactly above the stove there is toilet (I draw yellow circle on image below). Hence why I was making option 2 where the stove is near the stairs. In this case is Option 1 still better? Many thanks, much appreciate your assistance.FBCD122B-7E22-48A4-9BF4-9CEC774273AA.thumb.jpeg.d31ab512f1a660764581033a1e9b347b.jpeg

• Staff

In my previous reply, I have already highlighted this:

"1.2. For the ground floor, make sure that the stove is not directly below a toilet / toilet waste pipes of say the 2nd storey (or level)."

Thus best that the stove is not below 2nd storey "waste pipe(s)" such as these:-

image.png.4348b650f5c106f59473c85072437ce4.png

Common sense says that you can still place the stove along the red arrow - zone, I am sure, you should be able to at least find a position without having the stove below the "bulk" of the immediate 2nd storey toilet "waste pipes":-

image.png.573d7d45e2e65c329fe3a845c4196833.png

If so, I don't see why Option 1 can still be considered?