About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Three-legged frog

One a trip to Cambodia this last week I had a feng shui expert mention that I would need a three-legged frog with a coin in its mouth. Does anyone have any clue as to where to find such an auspicious little fellow for my house? I have tried a few unsuccessful web searches. Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Lynne,
You can find a picture of the Three-Legged Toad under:-
http://my.geomancy.net/mypictures/cgi-bin/imagefolio.cgi?direct=Interior_Decorations/The_Three_Legged_Toad
Under the following link, you can find a poll on the Three-Legged frog in this website.
The actual poll and current results can be found under this link:-
http://www.geomancy.net/polls/polls-threelegged.htm
I believe, you can easily purchase, the decorative item from many of the Feng Shui emporiums dotting the internet.
In my opinion, one should treat the Three-Legged Toad, merely as a decorative item. There is nothing mystical about this object.
In past forum messages, I mentioned abit of the history of the three-legged toad.
Please do a search in this forum for " toad " to find out more...
Warmest Regards,
Cecil

On 4/1/01 4:04:00 PM, Anonymous wrote:
One a trip to Cambodia this
last week I had a feng shui
expert mention that I would
need a three-legged frog with
a coin in its mouth. Does
anyone have any clue as to
where to find such an
auspicious little fellow for
my house? I have tried a few
unsuccessful web searches.
Thank you in advance.

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

• Staff

This is a short write-up on the legend of the Three-legged toad. Which I had included in the Poll of the Three-legged toad:-
There are two versions to the legend of the Three-legged toad:-
1. A Chinese Immortal Lui Hai was said to live in the era of the Sung dynasty in the province of Shensi.
According to legend, he was the general who successfully fought off Lord Liu (Master of the Sea Toad).
To this a statute of Immortal Lui Hai with his three-legged Toad is considered the symbol for money-making.
2. A second version:
Legend has it that there was once a Toad which lived in a deep well and emitted poisonous vapors.
Immortal Lui Hai lured the creature with a string of gold cash and killed it.
3. More: Often one sees the Chinese God of Wealth being carried in a procession (festive occasions) together with an image of the three-legged Toad.
The association with the God of Wealth (Tau Pei Kong) linked the three-legged Toad with wealth.
Hope the above will help everyone to better understand the `origins' of why so much commercialization went into this Chinese belief.
The three toad has now become a commercial object and things link a coin and `jewel' added to its mouth etc...
Therefore, one can now clearly understand that there is no direct link between the three-legged toad with Feng Shui.
The recommended placement of a three-legged toad is on the same wall as the main entrance (next to it) facing into the house.
Warmest Regards,
Cecil