About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

couch and sliding-glass door

myfs_61080

Is it advisable to place a rather long sofa about 1.5 feet in front of a sliding glass door with vertical blinds. The sofa has a floral pattern and soft pastels, with large green throw pillows. The sliding glass door is facing south, hence the back of the sofa faces south.

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Mary,
In my opinion:
1. Examine the frontage of the house. Does the frontage have a main entrance and "further away" on the same frontage, a set of sliding glass?
If this is the situation, it is usually not advisable to have too many openings i.e. opening the main entrance door at the same time as the sliding glass doors.
2. If the above is the case, a set of long sofa can be placed in front of the sliding glass door.
3. Some people would like to apply the Eight House theory i.e. such that they prefer to seat at locations that are beneficial to them. And if the above position is beneifical or one of your good sectors, and you often sit there than that's fine.
4. Another consideration (not so much of Feng Shui) is how the light filters into the living room.
Here, commonsense approach would have it that the TV set and entertainment unit such as Hi Fi should be placed in a `comfortable' position.
After this has been done, then, we can than fit our furniture to `suit' the contours of the TV set i.e. seats facing it and/or on one side.
5. Some Feng Shui practitioners may not consider the position you mentioned `favourable' because it was felt that seats e.g. long sofas should preferably be placed against a solid wall or to act as a divider in between the living and/or dining room.
The other argument could be that it would not be advantages to have one's back against e.g. the entrance area - on the assumption that some one may just approach the interior of the house (if the house does not have any gate).
Warmest Regards
Cecil

On 5/17/01 8:10:00 PM, Anonymous wrote:
Is it advisable to place a
rather long sofa about 1.5
feet in front of a sliding
glass door with vertical
blinds. The sofa has a floral
pattern and soft pastels, with
large green throw pillows.
The sliding glass door is
facing south, hence the back