About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Flying Star Directions

Hi Cecil,
I've been trying to learn Feng Shui by reading as much as I can on your site so that when I read your responses, I may be better at interpreting and applying your advice.
I've so far learned that one must take a holistic approach in applying Feng Shui by looking at it in the following order:
1 Shapes and Forms
2 Compass Theory utilizing Flying Star
3 Five Elements Concept
4 Pillars of Destiny
5 8 House Theory
I also must question the use as well as the strengths and weaknesses of each of the theories before applying them.
Since I already live in a house I purchased 5 years ago, I primarily use the 8 House Theory to Avoid my Death and Disaster lines. My main direction is SW and my house Entrance(garage door) faces SW which is excellent for me but not my wife which falls on her Death line. Her main direction is N. Since we are Catholic, I've placed crosses at each Death and Disaster Lines for myself, my wife and my daughter on both floors of our 2 story house. Needless to say, we have crosses all over the house which may be a little overkill but I keep remembering the words, "Protect, Protect, Protect."
I've also gone to IKEA and purchased those round table end protectors and have them all over the house on the VCR, Table edges, Ledges, book case ends etc. to protect from poison arrows attacks although I know the most important poison arrows are those pointing to the front entrance of the house.
Fortunately I have a tall 100 year old tree (East Dragon) on the left front of the house and a smaller tree (West tiger) on the right front for shade/protection against neighbors roof edges across the street.
I've ran both the Flying Star and Pillars for myself and my wife. I am Strong Metal and my wife is Strong Earth.
My question for now relates to the Flying Star report and how to analyse/interpret it.
The 20 Year Flying star has more detail and gives a Final Analysis (Good, Excellent, Inauspicious) for each of the 9 sectors(including Center).
The Yearly Analysis does not give a Final Analysis but rather 2 separate ones (Mountain vs Water Star) and (20 Year vs Year Star).
Which analysis is more accurate?
I'm assuming Yearly Analysis is more accurate but I'm left to interpret the Final Analysis to determine which sector is Good or Inauspicious. (My understanding of Star Analysis is weak and this topic confuses me. I do understand the basic productive and destructive cycles of the 5 elements but I am lost when it comes to astrology and what each number represents).
How do I interpret the Yearly Analysis if a sector, in the case, NW says (20-yr Star vs Year star) Congratulations! Weak Earth 8 vs Weak Earth 8 but the (Mountain vs Water Star)says Weak fire 9 vs Weak Earth 5 - Proposed solution - Make use of Wood to control earth.
Would this NW sector be considered Good or Inauspicious?
The 20 Year Flying Star indicates NW as Inauspicious.
Next question:
Based on the 20 Year Flying Star, I have 4 good sectors, 2 Excellent and 3 Inauspicious. They are:
N-Good NE-Good NW-Inauspicious
S-Good SE-Good SW-Inauspicious
E-Inauspcious
W-Excellent
Center-Excellent
My 8 House Theory Sector is
N-Death NE-Prosperity NW-Longevity
S-Irritation SE-Spook SW-Excellent
E-Disaster
W-Health
The 20 Year Flying Star indicates N as being a good sector but this falls on my Death Sector according to 8 House Theory. How should I interpret this? Does it mean it's OK to spend more time in this sector because the Flying Star is more accurate and not worry about the Death line?
I plan on putting a picture tour of my house on a website with questions for you at a late time.
Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Ben,
Please see below:-

On 1/24/2002 7:19:00 PM, Anonymous wrote:
Hi Cecil,
I've been trying to learn Feng
Shui by reading as much as I
can on your site so that when
I read your responses, I may
be better at interpreting and
applying your advice.
I've so far learned that one
must take a holistic approach
in applying Feng Shui by
looking at it in the following
order:
1 Shapes and Forms
2 Compass Theory utilizing
Flying Star
3 Five Elements Concept
4 Pillars of Destiny
5 8 House Theory
I also must question the use
as well as the strengths and
weaknesses of each of the
theories before applying them.

1. I like to personally thank you for taking your time and effor in summarising my views. GREAT JOB!
2. In my opinion, I feel that the above set of `holistic' approach is so far; the best approach.
Anyway, I am also following the `tried and tested' past techniques used by ancient Feng Shui practitioners or Masters.
However, there are a few considerations:
2.1. In some of the previous messages; I mentioned that many of us are MORE inclinded to e.g. Shapes and Form while others may be more inclined towards Compass School Feng Shui.
2.2 Where, it has to do (indirectly) with the `left / or right ' brain person.
3. For those who are more inclined towards the spatial or arts would (I believe) feel more at home with Shapes and Forms.
4. While someone who else may have more inclination towards (mathematical) side e.g. Flying Star.
5. But these are extreme ends of a continuum like `hot and cold'. Most of the time with much effort or especially for those who are really interested in the subject, can pick up and try to use both methods.
6. I also like to frankly point out that what you have summarised is based on my past experience also on what I personally feel is (I sincerely believe) what I feel can work for me or the majority who needs Feng Shui advise.
Do not get me wrong ... that it is compulsory to follow completely what I deemed as the `Holistic' method.
7. If you or any users here, especially students of Geomancy.net - can find a style that they feel is acceptable to them and that it can yield results, then... go ahead.
8. If everyone, follows many of the replies here; my only hope is to act like a `catalyst' in your personal pursit or `thirst' of Feng Shui.
And as always, i will continue to use terms like:
I believe; In my opinion; etc..
In the hope that the reader, can understand that what I wrote here is based on my personal belief and not a MUST or a `command' or instruction...etc...
Part 1... am looking at your question and will reply soon...
Warmest Regards,
Cecil

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

• Staff

Dear Ben,
Please see below:-

On 1/24/2002 7:19:00 PM, Anonymous wrote:
Hi Cecil,
Since I already live in a
house I purchased 5 years ago,
I primarily use the 8 House
Theory to Avoid my Death and
Disaster lines. My main
direction is SW and my house
Entrance(garage door) faces SW
which is excellent for me but
not my wife which falls on her
Death line. Her main
direction is N. Since we are
Catholic, I've placed crosses
at each Death and Disaster
Lines for myself, my wife and
my daughter on both floors of
our 2 story house. Needless to
say, we have crosses all over
the house which may be a
little overkill but I keep
remembering the words,
"Protect, Protect, Protect."
Yes, Ben, overall, the rule-of-thumb is `protection'.
The rationale is because, we look at the tale of the little boy in
Holland (partially many parts of the country are below sea level and
dams are often built) where because of a small leak; and if it is not
plugged, it can turn into something nasty.

And it is more pratical to look out for poison arrows or sha qi that
can `overcome' our home. After doing this, it would be acceptable.
As for using quite a lot of "cross" normally, I personally feel that
it is not really necessary.
More importantly, the altar table is positioned at a strategic or
good location and here you can place the necessary items on this
table (can do).
But nevertheless, if you and your family (don't mind) or feel pretty
comforted by doing it; I think it is OK.

I've also gone to IKEA and
purchased those round table
end protectors and have them
all over the house on the VCR,
Table edges, Ledges, book case
ends etc. to protect from
poison arrows attacks although
I know the most important
poison arrows are those
pointing to the front entrance
of the house.

It is best to understand or differentiate threats or `perceived
threats'.
The `rule-of-thumb or the question asked is:
"Are we going to be `hit' by it. For example, if we are seating at
the sofa; is the poison arrow pointed towards us? "
If not, then, it will not pose a threat. Other than, using the
protectors especially if we have active children running around.
Overall, it is Ok to place the Ikea transparent corner protectors.
Sometimes we adults may also inadvertently bump into a corner.

Fortunately I have a tall 100
year old tree (East Dragon) on
the left front of the house
and a smaller tree (West
tiger) on the right front for
shade/protection against
neighbors roof edges across
the street.

In my opinion, these two combination of trees sounds OK. Especially with a 100 year old tree.

I've ran both the Flying Star
and Pillars for myself and my
wife. I am Strong Metal and my
wife is Strong Earth.
My question for now relates to
the Flying Star report and how
to analyse/interpret it.
The 20 Year Flying star has
more detail and gives a Final
Analysis (Good, Excellent,
Inauspicious) for each of the
9 sectors(including Center).
The Yearly Analysis does not
give a Final Analysis but
rather 2 separate ones
(Mountain vs Water Star) and
(20 Year vs Year Star).
Which analysis is more
accurate?
I'm assuming Yearly Analysis
is more accurate but I'm left
to interpret the Final
For Flying Star, it should be applied as follows:-

1. 1st priority is to fix up all problems relating to the 20-year analysis as that
affects your entire house for as long as you do not make a major renovation to the house.
2. Think of the yearly star as seasonal changes in the home. Many people especially business owners have no time looking at the yearly or monthly seasonal changes and do not apply the Yearly cures.
The yearly star changes each year, so that means that if you apply a Flying Star based on the yearly star you will always have to continue to make changes each year.
3. So the best way to apply flying star is to 1st FIX up all the problem areas in the 20-year analysis.
Then, if one wants to fine tune it a little
with the Yearly Star so that you not only fix up the common problems arises from the 20-year but also refine it to include the yearly problems (if any).
4. Thus, that is why the yearly star (on this website is placed with less priority) We want uses to focus on fixing the problem areas:-
You see the yearly star is simply to tell you what additional stars come in this year. Normally when you fix the whole 20-year problem, all the yearly problems will already be greatly reduced (if any). So
there is not much of an issue here. Also, by apply the 20-year cure, you don't have to worry so much about making a change every year.
That yearly change is now like a bonus to you if you can further take
advantage of it.
5. If you were to fix up only the yearly star, you will get an excellent protection for that year, but it does not necessary solve the problems from the 20-year.
For those who are `selective' or are more concerned with `protect, protect and protect' can, for example look into particularly #5 (misfortune for that year) and #2 (sickness). And look at the 20-year flying star.
When I do audit for my clients I will look in particular the #5, #4, #3, #2 and see if there congregate at any sectors for that year.
If so, I would have to advise my clients to beware and where possible; place cures for that year at that particular sector.
Here, the Management term is borrowed i.e. "management by exception". I would call this " Feng Shui by exception ".
Where we only look at exceptions as mentioned earlier.

Analysis to determine which
sector is Good or
Inauspicious. (My
understanding of Star Analysis
is weak and this topic
confuses me. I do understand
the basic productive and
destructive cycles of the 5
elements but I am lost when it
comes to astrology and what
each number represents).

You don't have to worry so much the report will identify you each star and its influence. And it also tries to break down for you in the Five Element concept which is the foundation for applying Feng Shui.

How do I interpret the Yearly
Analysis if a sector, in the
case, NW says (20-yr Star vs
Year star) Congratulations!
Weak Earth 8 vs Weak Earth 8
but the (Mountain vs Water
Star)says Weak fire 9 vs Weak
Earth 5 - Proposed solution -
Make use of Wood to control
earth.

You see, in your case you have a case where the 20-year star and yearly star number are the same. This is similar to that of double 7 etc. So it means that the sector which is good is extra good, while those which are bad are extra bad.
Like I mentioned, the Yearly Star is to let you know how much better the 20-year star s.
For example:-
20-year is 5, and yearly star 5 => This means a extremely bad sector
20-year is 5, and yearly is 6 => A not so bad sector
20-year is 7, and yearly is 5 => A less auspicious good sector
20-year is 7, and yearly is 7 => The best influence for this sector.

Would this NW sector be
considered Good or
Inauspicious?

Currenly your north west is quite ok, as the two good earth stars help to neturalise the Strong Bad Earth. But it would be better if
you can add some Wood element, which creates a triple combinations
Wood -> Fire -> Earth -> produce wealth.

The 20 Year Flying Star
indicates NW as Inauspicious.

On its own the 20-year is inauspicious, simply because of the 1 weak earth is unable to exhaust the strong earth, and there is a 1 fire element which helps it.
But along with the yearly star, this will change as the two good earth will be able to neutralise the problem. And if you can add wood to further neutralise and create a triple combination it would be even better.

Next question:
Based on the 20 Year Flying
Star, I have 4 good sectors, 2
Excellent and 3 Inauspicious.
They are:
N-Good NE-Good NW-Inauspicious
S-Good SE-Good SW-Inauspicious
E-Inauspcious
W-Excellent
Center-Excellent
My 8 House Theory Sector is
N-Death NE-Prosperity
NW-Longevity
S-Irritation SE-Spook
SW-Excellent
E-Disaster
W-Health
The 20 Year Flying Star
indicates N as being a good
sector but this falls on my
Death Sector according to 8
House Theory. How should I
interpret this? Does it mean
it's OK to spend more time in
this sector because the Flying
Star is more accurate and not
worry about the Death line?

Not really, Flying Star tells you good and bad sectors of the house. It does not yet relate to whether it suits you or not. So you can have situation where the house is extremely good, but it is simply unsuitable to you when compared to your Eight House or Ba Zi.
Although it is good to find an extremely good sector in the flying star, but it is also more important that, the sectors is also suitable to you.
IE:-
- Flying Star sector excellent, but unsuitable => bad for you
- Flying Star sector average, but suitable => good for you
- Flying Star sector good, and suitable => excellent for you
Thus, you can find this applies to the house also. If you stay in a house with average flying star but it suits you, it would be better than staying in a house with excellent flying star but is say facing
your death or disaster sector.
Note here that for any house:-
- Shapes and Forms of exterior / landscape problem is not changable (in the interim).
However, every 6mths, if there are new developments in your area, you may need to relook the shapes and forms. But if the area is already built up and no changes for 6mths , 1 year etc.. then, Shapes and Forms should normally remain unchanged. (Here you have to fix problems from poison arrows or sha qi).
- Flying Star of the house problems are curable .
- Eight House suitability are "not curable".
For example, for a new house and if one is aware of the Eight House theory; if the house is found unsuitable; try to find a better house (if possible) even if
the house is `excellent/good' on other fronts.
Hope that helps.
Warmest Regards
Cecil Lee