About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Year and Month Pillars Confusion

I'm always confused whether I'm born in the year of the boar or dog.As indicated by your free BaZi Element report, my month and year pillars read as follows: -

month = geng yin (+metal tiger)

year = xin hai (-metal pig).

As compared with other BaZi reports obtained elsewhere which show: -

month = ji chou (-earth ox)

year = geng xu (+metal dog).

I've readthe statement that this is because your reading is based on lunar calendar and hence, the monthly pillar is different. In my case why is the yearly pillar also different.I was told that for BaZi reading, the year should begin on 4 or 5 February (depending onleap year) as the beginning of a new year (i.e. li chun = beginning of spring) and not considering the first day of the new lunar calendar as the new year. Is that true?

In addition, I would appreciate it if you could clarify when should the lunar calendar be used and when the solar calendar be used. Are there any differences in application for BaZi reading?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks.

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Anon,

Anonymous wrote:
I'm always confused whether I'm born in the year of the boar or dog.As indicated by your free BaZi Element report, my month and year pillars read as follows: -

This is exactly the reason why we stick to only achinese lunar calendar format for all analysis and concepts.

You see under most chinese horoscope/ chinese astrology analysis, the Pig year will only officially star on the 18 Feb 2007. Since most celebrate the new year on 18 Feb 2007, this is the official start of the year.

However, under another calendar format we call the seasonal calendar (Xia Calendar), it typically starts earlier. This is used more to determine the start of each season. So under the Season Calendar, the start of the season may come earlier. Usually on the 4/5 of each month.

You see many chinese horoscope and chinese astrology bases it's concept on the moon. Thus, until the 18 Feb 2007 for example, it is still Dog year. If you use a different calendar format, such as the ba zi based on Xia Calendar, that means that it treats you as Dog year, but when you use the Chinese Astrology it shows as Pig year. So how can that be correct? How can you related two contrasting horoscope sign to check for love compatibility or check for your astrology signs when one tell you you are a dog another tells you are a pig?

We know of some ba zi analysis whichmixes theXia calendar and they convert the month pillar to the Xia month while the rest of the hour/day/year is Lunar calendar. The more recent generation, decided that this isn't correct, thus they converted to the full Xia calendar. Thus, you this explains why you get that different year in some of the ba zi.

In either way, still the the same problem remains, how can you relate the chinese horoscope and chinese astrology if they are using Lunar to the Ba Zi using Xia calendar? Of course, there will some sites that say that you then have to use the Xia calendar in the Chinese Astrology. But you cannot convert the Chinese Astrology to Xia simply because it is based on the Moon location in relations to the other stars. Since there is a Ba Zi analysis method using Lunar Calendar. So this is themost correct form is to stick to the Lunar Calendar. This way there is absolutely no conflict in analysis results.

This is why our website from day one chooses to use the Chinese Lunar system for our ba zi as well as all the feng shui concepts. The Xia calendar is still analysedeven in the Lunar Ba Zi Chart because you still need to check the seasons is correct, but the chart is all shown as your lunar chart. This way irregardless whether you use the Chinese Horoscope or Chinese Astrology, all your horoscope signs will be exactly the same thus possible to relate all the concepts together for a much more accurate analysis.

You cannot have different calendar system in your analysis, otherwise, you will get very different interpretations of your yearly signs. ie one tells you you are a boar, the other tells you are a pig. Then how to relate the combinations and clashes of the horoscope signs? This is like saying thatan Apply equals an Orange.

So you will be pig horoscope sign as per our website. In fact, if you use all our tools from our website, you will be assured that all tools are of the same format which will ensure that you can inter-relate the analysis. But Xia Calendar is still necessary in a few portions of the analysis where seasons of birth is needed. But it should not be used as the default calendar between the different concepts.

Warmest Regards
Robert Lee
GEOMANCY.NET - Center for Applied Feng Shui Research