About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Gua vs Bazi

myfs_136142

I have a question about gua numbers. In many books and articles I read about personal directions. So, if I am gua 2, then my best direction is NE. The Four Pillars reading says that I am a week fire and need more fire. Wouldn't this make South a best direction for me? On the other hand, according the gua theory, this is one of the worst for gua 2.
So, it's confusing.
My personal data is January 16, 1970, 1:24am
Thanks so much,

Sponsored Link

• Staff

1.1 The clue, here is "Compass School" of Feng Shui".

1.2 When we consider the Feng Shui of a home, we have to apply both Shapes and Forms and Compass School of Feng Shui.

1.3 Thus Compass School of Feng Shui have two parts:-

Personal: Your Gua / Kua number
House Feng Shui: Applying Flying Star Feng Shui.

1.4 Therefore if one's aim is to apply "Feng Shui, then Gua and Flying Star takes precedence over Ba Zi in most instances.

1.5 This is the most common approach. And Ba Zi is "nice to have" . For example, colours are often used. Thus, if possible, personal ba zi colours are used to harmonise the individual's bedroom.

2. Therefore, Para 1.1 to 1.5 are said to be a series of the more common approach to Feng Shui. And most popular.

3. The Ba Zi method can also be used. But often, as you have deduced, often it clashes badly with the Gua method.

3.1 Many practitioners, EITHER practise Method 1 : Para 1.1. to 1.5 OR stick only to the Ba Zi method. And often the ba zi method is impractical to be mixed with the "method 1" as mentioned above.

3.2 Why?

3.3 It has to do with the term "Garage in garbage out".

3.4 There is a higher chance that one may get one's Ba Zi element wrong! And this will totally change the outcome or result!

3.5 For example, there is a vast difference between a weak fire or a strong fire person! If the ba zi is calculated "wrongly" imagine; it is totally RIGHT or WRONG, no half way answer.

3.6 For example: a weak fire person: South facing is excellent as south is fire and fire helps the weak fire person. But if the person is a strong fire person, south is not good for him/her!

4. It is very rare that one gets your Gua / Kua number wrong! Nowadays, you can also check out many gua calculators or even the manual calculation of gua is easy even for a 12 year old child!

5. But, for Ba zi, I am afraid, some sites may not properly know how to or is inaccurate. Thus, there is a very high incidence of getting wrong, here!

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

• Staff

Thus usually either "Method 1" or "Method 2" or "Method 3" are applied:-

1. Method 1: Gua + Flying Star + lastly Ba Zi

Check one's Gua number
Check Flying Star numbers and finally see if "we can in-corporate" one's personalised ba zi element (especially favourable colours to the room)

2. Method 2: Purely ba zi

As majority of the time, Gua numbers conflict with Ba zi, both don't go hand-in-hand! So, in the first "round", either Gua is used OR Ba zi is used. As both methods conflict!

3. Method 3: Ba zi +(Gua- directions) +Flying Star

Here, ba zi is used to review how suitable the house is and individual sectors.

[Gua - best bed-head directions or work study directions can still be applied but often not it's component of 4 best sectors could or could not be applied.]

Next, Flying Star is applied, FIRST or considered first. Then Ba zi (especially colours - can it be incorporated, here). For example if the sector has bad #5 with #2 (earth / yellow) and the ba zi best colours are Yellow, cream or beige. Then, we have to forgo YELLOW since it may trigger #5 or #2.

Thus flying star "colours" take precidence to one ba zi colours, first.

Thanks so much for the response!

I think I am getting in now. To start with the analysis,I need to start first with the house: 1. the land forms 2 gua/kua 3. the flying stars.

So, when I am looking for a house or apartment, I am looking first for an optimal location, then I check if the house has aoptimalflying stars chart, and then I check how it corresponds with my personal gua/kua number (and with other family members).

BaZi comes in later in the analysis, I guess. And as you said, there a big chance for it to be incorrect as not too many people know their birth time, or sometime even the date.

Please let me know if I am getting it correctly.

Larissa

PS. I am so glad I found this forum as I have been studying feng shui on my own for a while now. And as you can see, it can get very confusing! Thank you very much for your support .

• Staff

1. Yes, what you said is absolutely, correct!

2. As once we purchased a home (especially a built up home), we cannot just change it's environment nor the site.

3. Thus do or die, Shapes and Forms Feng Shui has to be correct!

4.1 Yes, in addition to wrongly calculated ba zi; it is correct that we may even get the birthdates wrong. In Singapore, Malaysia, also, many do not report the birth of their children early - especially in the 1920's to 1940's. And some people only go to a police reporting station several weeks later and their birthdate is "stamped" that day!

4.2 This is why only the experts, are confident of using only the Ba Zi method, fully. But again, it makes more sense not to place all our eggs in one basket.

5. Frankly, for everyone, especially a novice:-

5.1 My advise is that proper understanding of concepts is really commonsense than rocket science.

5.2 Never, never tempted to buy products in the name of Feng Shui unless they are traditional "cures" or enhancements. Selling products is very lucrative, but, in my opinion is a "dishonest" way of living off others!

5.3 Any concept that is "timely" is definitely a better bet than "fixed" or longer period.

5.4 All famous Chinese Geomancers in the past, learned from books and what sets them apart is that they pick out concepts that works for most people most of the time and discard concepts that don't often work.

6. Know one's strengths! Most of us are either inclined towards Left or Right Brain!

6.1 For example, in the US, those that are better at the arts or humanities, go to ivy league schools like Harvard to learn Law or Human Resource Management etc. Those who have children that are more inclined towards mathematics may sent their children to MIT or UCLA.

6.2 Thus, in the wonderful world of Chinese metaphyics; some of us are more inclined towards: Shapes and Forms = spatial and random. While some are more inclined towards mathematics = Flying Star.

6.3 For example, some can easily see a sector has a "dragon " or a "mountain' (Shapes and Forms inclined); while others need mathematics.. e.g. OH! THE mountain star #8 is here!

6.4 But to be a reknowned Feng Shui expert one must try to "assimlate" or be good at both methods! This makes a well rounded Feng Shui master!

6.5 Most Feng Shui masters, often are more inclined to Shapes and Forms and "forced" to appreciate the mathematics or logical Flying Star Feng Shui.

7. Whenever, I discuss Feng Shui with a client, whenever, the mathemathics part of Feng Shui comes in, their eyes light up especially when they themselves are an accountant or an engineeer. But when describing "the dragons and tigers" of the Shapes and Forms, they have a harder time to relate to.

P.S. Currentlyfew practitioners and sites that don't sell products, I hope everyone can support : "When the buying stops!, the Selling (of commercial FS products) can!" i.e boycott or tell your friends about the "dishonesty" of sellers of such products!