About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Mother of pearl funiture

sun888_99

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Anon,
In my country, and in my opinion, the statement is no longer true for the following reasons:
1. Good quality inlaid pearl furniture especially if they are `old' are considered `antiques' and very expensive.
2. Many people nowadays (especially the middle class) can only afford `imitation' antique furniture without the pearl inlay.
3. I remember when I was young, my parents used to bring us to my auntie's parents home in Orchard Road (Singapore).
Her father is a Chinese physician and I remembered clearly the beautiful pearl inlay set against many dark coloured wooden furniture. I recalled seeing motifs of leaves, flowers etc... They are really lovely.
I do recall that these furnitures do require `attention' as sometimes the pearl inlay falls off. (In my opinion, to me the furniture looks expensive. But I am not sure if it is due to quality problems or wear and tear.)
4. Pearls signify purity and the Chinese were cultivating it even before the Japanese had done so.
5. It is still common practise to place a `pearl' in a person's mouth at their death. The tongue is akin to the mussel and the pearl (if we can visualise, like it is exactly as in nature in an oyster's `mouth'.
6. I have seen many `young couples' who rather purchase `modern' e.g. fabric or leather furniture rather than these `antiques'.
One reason again is that they are so expensive (the quality ones) and a few pieces of such furniture does not blend well with their interior decor.
7. There is a `danger' under Feng Shui that too much `real' antique furniture causes one to `narrow minded' , rigid thing etc...
Where one purchase antique furniture, one should where possible learn (if you can) the history of the furniture piece.
As the furniture piece would, in my opinion, retain some of the Qi where it stood the longest e.g. in a old house.
Too much antique furniture, could change the Qi within a home.
Warmest Regards,
Cecil

On 10/31/99 1:45:05 AM, Anonymous wrote:
Dear cecil,
Is it true that most people
keep mother of pearl furniture
in home since it is supposed
to bring prosperity. Thanks.

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net