About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Moving into new house on Chinese New Year Day

myfs_143033

Hello,

I just entered myself and my wife's birth details into the calendar and it has come up that 14th of Feb 2010 is very auspicious for the both of us. 14th of Feb 2010 also happens to be Chinese New Year Day. Is this going to be a an issue, as my parents have said it is not a good time to move in on Chinese New Year Day.

Sponsored Link

Well , recently i came readan article in a fengshui magazine. It was interpreted that on the 28th of Jan 2010, 14th of Lunar month is a good day for all activities. I presume that it was quite anideal day for moving house. However, considering a relocation ofmyThai Buddha altarto the new location which was vacant for several months, does it make amuch differences for the moving in to be done in day hrsor night hrs? If so,what would be the preference time or time to avoid for moving in on this date ?

• Staff

1. I would assume that perhaps the magazine use the generic Tong Shu "book" to find out good dates. Tong Shu is not personalised to anyone; and it is just like a general directory: it has recommendations like which day not to do this or that or good day to do something or more specific activity.

1.2. One usually can use the generic Tong Shu or a more personalised one: best - "either use this or that" kind of thing.

2. Best to move-in even your Thai altar during Yang timing. Chinese yang timing starts early but for practical reasons: from 6.30am onwards to no later than 3.00pm (as usually after 3pm this is the yin timing - thus generally considered not as auspicious time).

3. Some can even further fine-tine using personalised report but you need access to the timing.

4. In general, if one intend to say move "it" in; can even look at timing like 8.38 or 8.39 am or 9.38 or 9.39am or any timing by adding .38 to the last two digits of the move-in. As 3 is considered a good number as the phonetic sound like "UP" or "mountain" and the number 8 = sounds like prosperity and number 9 = sounds like longevity.

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Thanks for your speedy reply. Therefore, we will try and find a different date to move in.

How many days after Chinese New Year is best to move in?

What exactly constitutes moving in? Is it the 'Moving In Ritual' or the day when all the furniture move in and you end up staying indefinitely.

With regards to the 'Moving In Ritual', would you suggest sprinkling rice, salt and green beans across the entire house? this is a newhouse that we have just built.

Thanks again in advance.

Master Lee,

Thank you so much for the advise.Indeed your points make sense to me.Indeed gladto havesuch a user friendly free tools inthis forum .I manage to determinethe best my auspicious & flavourable datebased on my birth date & horoscope

Here's my reportanalysis

http://online.geomancy.net/public/code/html-fs-date-both-month-free?dobname=&dobg=1&dobd=11&dobm=08&doby=1978&dobh=7&dobname1=&dobg1=0&dobd1=dd&dobm1=mm&doby1=19xx&dobh1=0

Btw, does the yang timingas mentioned best to be appliedfor religious item orall the neccesitymove in items like bed, furniture, clothing & shoes & etc.As such, will there be any negative effect should i arrange the altar in the yangtime& restof the essentialon the yin timing on the same day?Lastly, kindly advise on the sequence of each to be priortise

1)opening of windows & tap water

2)area cleaning

3) sprinkler rice & salt/ placement orange at corner& pineapple in the middle

4) move in altar

5) moving in other essential item (e.g bed to shoes etc)

Thanks & Appreciation,

Yeo

• Staff

1. For practical reasons; for example, if one has a new apartment or home; it is common for the new owners to purchase large appliances like a new refrigerator; stove, oven; washing machine; new sofa set; dining table cum chair and even new beds.

2. By tradition, so long as one has yet to sleep in the new home, and if any or all of the above are brought in; it does not constitue move-in.

3. Even if one brings in suitcase of clothes or boxes of items; and did not use it in the new home (for practical reasons); this does not constitue move-in.

4. Move-in in simple terms means: overall; sleeping in the new home. By tradition, some Geomancers also recommend placing a set of night clothings on each side of the bed - to symbolise a move-in.

5. Basedon common Chinese practices, the First time move-in and Move-in procedutescan be found under the link, below:-

http://www.geomancy.net/info/

6. Common to sprinkle rice and green beans = first time open door procedure.

7. For older homes, salt MAY be sprinkled especially into toilet areas.

8. Commonsense, please! Some "silly" fools sprinkle vast amount of salt into a new home. And imagine: if the flooring especially for condos; the bedrooms have parquet flooring. And if too much salt is sprinkled onto such floors and subsequently, instead of "dry vacuuming" some silly fools; use a mob or anything with water to mob up the salt; it can be acidic to the lacquer or shellac of the wooden floor - and may cause damage!

9. Is'nt it silly to spoil a new lovely home - damage with salt ... + water? Think about it!

Khris K. wrote:

Thanks for your speedy reply. Therefore, we will try and find a different date to move in.

What exactly constitutes moving in? Is it the 'Moving In Ritual' or the day when all the furniture move in and you end up staying indefinitely.

With regards to the 'Moving In Ritual', would you suggest sprinkling rice, salt and green beans across the entire house? this is a newhouse that we have just built.

Thanks again in advance.

• Staff

1. Frankly, this "Chinese New Year" thing specifically applies more to the Chinese.

2. For other races, there should not be a major issue so long as:-

2.1. You are not a Chinese or half-Chinese
2.2. Not in a predominantly Chinese majority occupied region

3. Under 2.2. in a multi-racial country like Singapore, I have personally seen Malays took the opportunity to move-house on Chinese New Year - as they use non-Chinese movers.

4. So, this whole thing about not moving or moving during Chinese New Year, frankly is not related to Feng Shui. It is related more to one's individual culture.

5. Thus, if one is a non-Chinese; and if the day is considered auspicious; can seriously consider moving during the Chinese New Year period.

6. Chinese New Year lasts a whole 15 days. And again for practical reasons, even "we" Chinese have to start work within the 15 days. As many Chinese Singaporeans are salaried works - and the saying goes: "it is not like their grand father owns the company" or if one happens to be a Chinese in China - where, they need to travel a long distance to their home town and work stops for 1 or more week.

7. Thus for practical reasons; for example this year; in Singapore we celebrate Chinese New Year from 14th February to 16th February. Thus the majority of Singapore salaried workers resume work on the 17th February 2009.

8. For the Chinese, or those who follow tradition; most open shop (own business) on "Yang days". Yang is represented by odd number e.g. 1, 3, 5, 7. Thus, to draw a parallel, many shops prefer to open on the 3rd day or 5th or even 7th day of Chinese New Year as opposed to Yin days e.g. 2nd, 4th day of the Chinese New Year.

9. So the morale of the story: "If Tom, Dick and Harry are non-Chinese, one need not follow the ways of or all things Chinese! "

Khris K. wrote:

Thanks again in advance.

• Staff

1. For religious altar:

1.1. Often some bring it into the new home a few days earlier. For example; every 1st day of each lunar month (expect many don't like the 7th month) and/or the 15th day of each lunar month are good days. No need even to use other methods to determine which is a good day to bring it in.

1.2. Of course, the link you had mentioned showing one's good dates are equally good days also to bring them in.

1.3. If one intends to bring in a completely brand new "god" e.g. Quan Yin can always do so after move-in and on either the 1st day or 15th day of each lunar month as mentioned under Para 1.1.

1.4. Else, if one's existing home already has a god, then if there is a new altar, then this item should be the first to go into the home. Or if one reuse an existing altar; then bring in the altar at the same time and arrange it / place the god in it's proper place first.

2. It is nice to bring in the god(s) during the yang timing.

3. Moving-in furnitures can be done during the course of the day or as I had mentioned in a recently enquiry; even these items can be brought in several days earlier.... no issue.

4. Usually, open the door throw in the pineapple. (My move-in procedure does not use rice and salt - only the first time open door procedure). Then move in the altar. Open the windows / tap water; and then move in other essential items.

5. Frankly, para 4 is non religious nor rocket-science stuff. If one does anything out of the above sequence except for the priority given to the altar, no major issue.

Master Lee,

Thanks for the informative writeups..Very Happy29thJan10 is a very auspicious date for me (relating my birth date report) & also 15th of the Lunar monthday. I shallfix this fate for everything.Not forgetting to note of all your advisesparticularly placingmy altarwithin the yang timing.Wink