About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Effects of 5 elements on harmony (family)

myfs_136122

Hi Mr Cecil,

Does the element of each family members play a pivotal role in affecting the degree of harmony in a family, since the 5-element concept of "growth" and "destroy" will come into play? Is it the same as in a business context where "destroying" may be good .e.g. create wealth?

Below is a family of 4:

(A) Strong Fire monkey
(B) Strong Metal pig
(C) Weak metal ox
(D) Strong Wood tiger

Is it right to say,

1. the combination of (B) & (C) will create a balance for both, since (C) will gain the metal that she lacks from strong metal (B), thus creating balance of metal.

2. The resulting balance of metal will reduce excess wood of (D), thus creating balance of wood.

3. But the wood will make strong Fire element of (A) even stronger, at this stage I suppose it will result in the growth of earth element. At this stage I suppose it'll create excess metal element in the combination of (B) & (C), does "destroying" wood (A)?
Will it have a negative effect on (D), also lessen the degree of harmony in the family? Does the 5 elements have any effect in this situation?

Best regards

Paul Wangchuk

Sponsored Link

• Staff

These are some of the considerations:-

1. OMG! Luckily, the Chinese culture does not think in terms of your academic exercise!

2. One of the key success factor of Chinese culture is the support group of a family. Here, the family support group includes: Grand parents to grand uncles; uncles, aunties and immediate family support. And in the past and even present no other cultures have clans.

3. For example, Singapore Ngee Ann Konsi, Tao Nan, Hakka clan etc... provides greater support for Chinese belonging to a specific province. Even in an overseas country; when Chinese of a certain clan came to Singapore to work; they can rely on their clan for support.

4. Fortunately, although the Chinese developed such a system; Ba Zi and or Tze Wei Tou Shu; in my opinion and no offence; seriously; if a Chinese were to think like you; even in such an academic exercise; the Chinese culture would never have existed 5,000 years or more.

5. Drawing a parallel; you are in the process of or towards "designer babies" type of situation. Luckily, in the past, majority of birth is via natural birth.

6. Such thinking often leads to : some JOKER wanting to select dates and even time for forced induced birth. OMG!

7. Far from creating balance and harmony; what you mentioned leads to: things like premature evaluation; auto-suggestion and even self-fullfilling prophecy.

8. In the past and modern times; the only concrete situation is where some before getting married check out the compatibility of their "spouse" or vice versa. At this state; at least they are not "family yet".

9. But what you are "proposing" or suggesting is that a family checks it's compatibility... of a with b, b with c, c with d... Frankly, most Chinese are not so free to do such a thing. Let alone there are better more productive things to do.

10. So how, if all family members are not compatible? The patriah disown his children or select a "pet" child?

11. As I mentioned, blood is thicker than water... Chinese support group is strong even if a child has no hands, the parent will still love them!

12. Unfortunately, I have to say: "Stop this non-sense, please!" It is a disgrace to the Chinese who developed the Ba Zi. And it should not fall into the wrong hands! Or mis-used in it's entiety. Have nothing better to do is it?

13. Please don't be offended by the above as you can be forgiven for not knowing our Chinese culture. And frankly, this is not the way to approach the Chinese culture.

14. For those not too familiar with the Chinese culture, perhaps, call this a "culture shock", please. (Note: Even if you are a Chinese, this is not the right way to mis-use the Ba Zi system).

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

• Staff

1. Ba zi should never be used to determine "harmony" within a family as it could lead to one of the following or a combination of any of the following:-

1.1. auto-suggestion; and/or
1.2. self-fullfilling prophecy; and/or
1.3. premature evaluation

2. It is (at least) not so bad if one wants to apply it "externally" e.g. searching for an external business partner.. but try not to apply it to "family or immediate family".

3. For example, in Singapore, the hall mark of our system is fairness and objectivity such as choosing the right person for the right job. Not because someone's element is such and such and compatible or not compatible to the boss!

Thanks for giving me a better understanding of the 5-element and bazi.

At first, after reading about using bazi to calulate compatibility and using 5-element concept to create balance, I thought it could also be applied to a family unit to enhance harmony, didn't quite understand. I suppose I misunderstood its application.

Best regards

Paul Wangchuk