About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Help determining front door direction

lismith

I would appreciate some advice in determining the direction of my front door. The house faces east toward the street. It has a wrap-around porch on the east and north sides.To enter youstep onto the porch from steps on the east side, then turn left (south)to enter the front door.

Sponsored Link

I hope the drawing helps explain. The red line shows how you turn toenter.The "main" entrydoor faces north onto the porch, but there is also an interior french door leading from the foyer into the house that faces east. It's a farmhouse style home and from all aspects exceptthe main entrydoor the house faces east.

• Staff

Technically, based on your simple sketch; this home is sitting West facing East.
What is your purpose of determining the frontage.
If it is for the purpose of applying the Flying star; then; most likely as it is for now it should be facing East. Unless, you have a wonderful lake or nice area "behind" this house.
If so, perhaps: for the purpose of calculating the Flying stars: the facing direction, here could instead be west.

On 6/4/2013 12:48:12 AM, Anonymous wrote:
I would appreciate some advice
in determining the direction
of my front door. The house
faces east toward the street.
It has a wrap-around porch on
the east and north
sides.To enter
youstep onto the porch
from steps on the east side,
then turn left (south)to
enter the front door.

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Thank you for the advice. I was curious about facing direction for purposes of the flying star. I was unsure whether front door opening to the north made a difference, although the house is obviously facing east. The house sits on a wooded downslope lot with nothing but forest behind it.
Is it a problem that the front door opens to the north while the house faces east?

On 6/4/2013 7:13:12 PM, Anonymous wrote:
Technically, based on your simple
sketch; this home is sitting West facing
East.What is your purpose of determining
the frontage. If it is for the purpose
of applying the Flying star; then; most
likely as it is for now it should be
facing East. Unless, you have a
wonderful lake or nice area "behind"
this house. If so, perhaps: for the
purpose of calculating the Flying stars:
the facing direction, here could instead
be west.On 6/4/2013 12:48:12 AM,
Anonymous wrote:
the east and north
sides.To enter
youstep onto the porch
then turn left (south)to
enter the front door.

• Staff

These are some considerations:
1. There are some geomancers, out-there that strictly follow the "text" to the "T".
1.1. In the past, and recorded advice (Compass School)was to stand inside the main entrance looking outwards to take the compass readings.
1.2. Of course, in the past, majority of the homes were purely landed property. And many Chinese homes have a centre court-yard and almost all homes (other than communal homes) have entrances that face the frontage.
1.3. Some die-hard geomancers, till-today; still rely on those 1,000 year old "advice" and even treat them as "god send" or "Feng Shui bible".
1.4. They (these geomancers) will even quote such written documentation of proof. Thus if you have a chanced encounter with one of them; YES, most likely they will swear that your frontage perhaps faces North.
2. Just like Darwin. Feng Shui has also evolved, somewhat.
3. Countries such as Hong Kong started the trend of taking the frontage of buildings and subsequent stacks as the facing direction.
3.1. This is because of the small space of such countries : Hong Kong and Singapore. Where Singapore, has more than 90% living in high rise
3.2. Thus because of this, and the fact that for many high rise buildings; the main door is often considered an "after-thought". The "facing" of the main door of apartments depends on how the architect connects the various units / passageway together.
4. For landed properties such as yours, it is still quite common to find the main door as what you had described:
4.1. If from a Feng Shui point of view; it could be that there could be a lone lamp post that could have sliced through a main door. Thusperhaps for this reason, themain door is tilted or towards a sideetc.. so that there is no way any poison arrow(s) including things like a sharp pointed roof - neighbours homecan be aimed towards "your" main door.
4.2. Other reasons could be that thegarage isalso at the side of the home and a side main door is a practical reason.
4.3. There are otherreasons for the main door at the side or in cold countries, the concept of "double" doors etc..
5. Even if one is a die-hard fan of traditional Compass School writing;as you had mentioned, the main door faces North. And under the Eight House concept; North or East suits an East group person. More like, "it feels good isn't it? More of a psychological "feel nice"rite?

On 6/6/2013 1:40:38 AM, Anonymous wrote:
Thank you for the advice. I was curious
about facing direction for purposes of
the flying star. I was unsure whether
front door opening to the north made a
difference, although the house is
obviously facing east. The house sits on
a wooded downslope lot with nothing but
forest behind it.Is it a problem that
the front door opens to the north while
the house faces east?On 6/4/2013 7:13:12
PM, Cecil Lee wrote:
Technically, based on your simple
sketch; this home is sitting West
facing
East.What is your purpose of
determining
the frontage. If it is for the
purpose
of applying the Flying star; then;
most
likely as it is for now it should be
facing East. Unless, you have a
wonderful lake or nice area "behind"
this house. If so, perhaps: for the
purpose of calculating the Flying
stars:
the facing direction, here could
instead
be west.On 6/4/2013 12:48:12 AM,
Anonymous wrote:
the east and north
sides.To enter
youstep onto the porch
then turn left (south)to
enter the front door.

• Staff

A popular saying goes: "If you can't take Mohammed to the mountain, take the mountain to Mohammed "

Thus, If someonecan't understand what you want them to understand by seeing something you want them to see, bring what you want them to see to them.