About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Question on cool roof design

myfs_105243

Hi Master Cecil,

First of all, thank you for your insight on feng shui.

My question is on the latest cool roof design. Recently I booked a double storey link semi-d cluster home in Malaysia. The roof design is as in the diagram attached. It's a flat metal roof with low angle for rain water and good drainage but surrounded by bricks on all sides. Besides weird, the colour will also be unauspiciously white or light-bluish. It's a metal roof with 3 layer insulation that supposedly reduces heat retention and noises from rain and reflecting the heat back up. The main point of this roofing is energy efficiency and easy construction. Furthermore the area is breezy and I guess the purpose of the bricks is to protect the metal roof. 

I do have a  'major' plan to redesign the roof to a standard roof design (although it will still be metal or asphalt to maintain the structure integrity) if I plan to really buy and stay in future, unless of course Master Cecil has a workaround. My question is even if I were able to do that, the rest of the other houses in the area will still have this type of roof. What is the impact then of the neighbourhood to my house in this case? 

It doesn't sounds promising, but then this is a good area and the pricing is at a slight premium.

My second question will be, it looks like a upcoming trend on using metal roof for residential due to 'energy efficiency', though obviously very unfavourable, should we still avoid this type of design? 

Thank you.

white_roof.jpg

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Part 1 - Sorry I am rushing .. working on an urgent review.

In the meantime.... 

In the past a aluminium pieces were interlocked together .. 1950’s to 1970’s... but hell a lot of noise ... raining.

From what I understand the DuPont two-ply .. was banned in SGP ... correct me if I am wrong as it is a hazard in a fire. As the acrylic can become molten ... like droplets.. can cause third degree burns or something like that. They even came in blue. (White was the most popular and greenish)

In SGP, you will be surprised that since 5 years ago, many private apartments: often with 25 to 55 unit’s often use similar materials as you have described. Or something close to it. Correct me if I am wrong.

These materials were and are used especially on the penthouse 5th storey roofings. And can be formed semi-circular or geometric patterns. And last year, a client was shown samples of various colours ... grey.. copper ... etc.. but may not be the many layers- type you had described earlier...

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

• Staff

Part 3 - Can also be found on the roofs of landed properties.

I am sure, these metallic roofs should have the same properties as your new home’s roofing.. definitely should also have insulation:-

2C73EA9B-3090-44F2-9D4B-FD6CA74099C1.thumb.jpeg.d1b1aa7a36a3cd58b384aa19eeb6df71.jpeg5D6B9657-93F9-4332-9B37-0A6503F4A194.thumb.jpeg.d7bee6b96df24b1a2da9ec1aa5c6986d.jpeg08C34307-2941-40B4-B818-5E61B338E449.thumb.jpeg.65a3db997b07edfea187912913a95412.jpeg

This is the 1960’s onwards slide together “noisy” aluminium awnings.. noisy if raining...

41CD94A3-F19E-4904-837F-F60FDB42B8E7.jpeg

Thus in my opinion, your concerns is about:

1. Not common in Malaysia especially it may look cheap with “bricks” holding the panels down. But no choice as these panels are light weight. The architects in Malaysia should have packaged it nicer... 

2. But from a Shapes and Forms Feng Shui, not really an issue.

3. Nothing unfavourable.. as most of the materials have a Matt finished. Lighter thus less load (but for Para 1 - concern, that’s all.

4. Your country’s roofing for many years used to use clay tiles in various colours. The most popular being orange tiles. That’s all.

5. Frankly you got to get used to it.

6. In Singapore, last few years the popular colour of metallic roof colour is in my opinion GREY. Several years back GREY still popular with some using GREEN. Copper (brownish) is less popular in Singapore. Although Maroon is more popular than Green.

7. Unless both semi-D's change to identical or mirror image of each other.. else in my opinion, don't change yours. Other neighbours should not be your problem at all.

Hi Master Cecil

thank you for your insight and comment on my plan if I were to 'redo' the roof (if i buy) with regards to the neighbourhood. It will look like the odd one out if it's done. I appreciate your practicality in applying feng shui.

And yes, from the photos you posted, those are the exact roof types I'm referring to. 

With regards to shapes and forms feng shui; the roof will be shaped like a pressed down or indented roof, due to the surrounding bricks on the flat roof and furthermore with white or light bluish hue metal roofing, wouldn't this be considered not acceptable ? As normally good roof shape should be an arrow pointing to heaven and not white/blue.

If you may allow (as I am trying to stick to your posting guideline) the shape of the house is as below to highlight the roof with regards to the house.

1. Not common in Malaysia especially it may look cheap with “bricks” holding the panels down. But no choice as these panels are light weight. The architects in Malaysia should have packaged it nicer... 

2. But from a Shapes and Forms Feng Shui, not really an issue.

3. Nothing unfavourable.. as most of the materials have a Matt finished. Lighter thus less load (but for Para 1 - concern, that’s all.

4. Your country’s roofing for many years used to use clay tiles in various colours. The most popular being orange tiles. That’s all.

5. Frankly you got to get used to it.

6. In Singapore, last few years the popular colour of metallic roof colour is in my opinion GREY. Several years back GREY still popular with some using GREEN. Copper (brownish) is less popular in Singapore. Although Maroon is more popular than Green.

7. Unless both semi-D's change to identical or mirror image of each other.. else in my opinion, don't change yours. Other neighbours should not be your problem at all.

white_roof_2.jpg

hi Master Cecil

A very good read indeed! 

Just for discussion, the area of the project is on a land with a gentle sloping hill and unlike SGP (it's sparse if compared to SGP),  there won't be any high rise for the 'mirror' effect on other high rise building. This project will be close to the highest point of the area. However I do note the concept here from my limited geographical point of view.

The reflection will cause the air above the project to be 'lighter' due to warm/hot air reflected back from the roof. Eventually it may cause the breeze to become stronger (strong wind) due to the way cold air rises from the surrounding lower ground and also the direction of the wind itself.  The breeze will become strong wind eventually; sha chi.  The area will need more cover such as trees to slow down the wind.

Thanks for your enlightenment.

17 hours ago, Cecil Lee said:

Part 1 - Sorry I am rushing .. working on an urgent review.

In the meantime.... 

In the past a aluminium pieces were interlocked together .. 1950’s to 1970’s... but hell a lot of noise ... raining.

From what I understand the DuPont two-ply .. was banned in SGP ... correct me if I am wrong as it is a hazard in a fire. As the acrylic can become molten ... like droplets.. can cause third degree burns or something like that. They even came in blue. (White was the most popular and greenish)

In SGP, you will be surprised that since 5 years ago, many private apartments: often with 25 to 55 unit’s often use similar materials as you have described. Or something close to it. Correct me if I am wrong.

These materials were and are used especially on the penthouse 5th storey roofings. And can be formed semi-circular or geometric patterns. And last year, a client was shown samples of various colours ... grey.. copper ... etc.. but may not be the many layers- type you had described earlier...

• Staff

You recently wrote something similar to this:5D203667-9CF4-4999-A055-2773EFFAAACC.jpeg.a637fa77f964c3041eb3c52c9707fe20.jpeg

In modern times thus is old school thinking.

Nice-to have. But not a must have, today.

Many Singapore Home’s now have flat roofs. 

What is more important is Location, location & location.

Morale of the story: A roof does not make or break a home. There are more to it ..