About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Skylight in Kitchen

Dwieno

Hi Master Cecil,

I asked you a question in your post about clothesline. I need to ask you again with different topic that seems like nobody ask.

So, I want to buy this house which has an open space in the back of the house with walls around it (you can see the illustration).

I plan to move the kitchen to this area and install clear/transparent canopy so it would be bright.

The grey area shown in the picture already has canopy (not transparent), so the rest of the area on top of the kitchen and clothesline are going to be installed with transparent canopy and put some permanent small ventilation.

I would also plan to install some shades that can be opened or closed (you can see the illustration).

A practitioner said that having a skylight directly on top of the kitchen, or stove is inauspicious.

What is your advice about this? Should I put the skylight only in certain area?

Thank you.

canopyblinds.jpg

clearcanopy.jpg

Skylight.png

skylight2.png

Sponsored Link

• Staff

In my opinion, Feng Shui does not micro manage every single component of a house.

Feng Shui is about the bigger picture and also the correct location /placement of the stove in relation to the sink and what is sharing the same wall as the stove.

Many Feng Shui Masters (FSMs) also relate to things like one should have a bed with four legs. One reason shared by some FSMs is that it is/was because this was to allow qi to flow below the bed.

Actually, it all boils down to common sense! The fact that if a bed has four legs, means it is easier to clean the floor below the bed! What crap or nonsense with qi flowing below the bed. If this is/was the case. Then how about millions of say Japanese who sleeps on traditional Japanese floor beds? Or for that matter many families with young babies or kids often just place a mattress on the floor for their kids?

Same here. In state of giving ATAS or high-level answers like this ">>A practitioner said that having a skylight directly on top of the kitchen, or stove is inauspicious."

If it was me, I would simply explain not to do so. This has to do with common sense! For example, Dupont two-ply roof "tiles" when caught fire turns into molten liquid. Or should there be a fire and if the skylight is a piece of standard glass.. one can get hurt by falling shards of glass or even death! (One morbid example is the last part of the movie "GHOSTS" where the bad guy was stabbed with falling glass etc..

In fact, I had even written a unique book of Common Sense Feng Shui. And this can possibly be another of the many examples of it.

P.S. In fact these two "roofing" materials are not friendly to be around with a stove....directly below it...

canopyblinds.jpgclearcanopy.jpg

I won't ever want my loved ones to be cooking below these.. anytime, anywhere....they are hideously dangerous...Clue: Fire rises upwards....

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

On 8/24/2021 at 9:10 PM, Cecil Lee said:

In my opinion, Feng Shui does not micro manage every single component of a house.

Feng Shui is about the bigger picture and also the correct location /placement of the stove in relation to the sink and what is sharing the same wall as the stove.

Many Feng Shui Masters (FSMs) also relate to things like one should have a bed with four legs. One reason shared by some FSMs is that it is/was because this was to allow qi to flow below the bed.

Actually, it all boils down to common sense! The fact that if a bed has four legs, means it is easier to clean the floor below the bed! What crap or nonsense with qi flowing below the bed. If this is/was the case. Then how about millions of say Japanese who sleeps on traditional Japanese floor beds? Or for that matter many families with young babies or kids often just place a mattress on the floor for their kids?

Same here. In state of giving ATAS or high-level answers like this ">>A practitioner said that having a skylight directly on top of the kitchen, or stove is inauspicious."

If it was me, I would simply explain not to do so. This has to do with common sense! For example, Dupont two-ply roof "tiles" when caught fire turns into molten liquid. Or should there be a fire and if the skylight is a piece of standard glass.. one can get hurt by falling shards of glass or even death! (One morbid example is the last part of the movie "GHOSTS" where the bad guy was stabbed with falling glass etc..

In fact, I had even written a unique book of Common Sense Feng Shui. And this can possibly be another of the many examples of it.

P.S. In fact these two "roofing" materials are not friendly to be around with a stove....directly below it...

canopyblinds.jpgclearcanopy.jpg

I won't ever want my loved ones to be cooking below these.. anytime, anywhere....they are hideously dangerous...Clue: Fire rises upwards....

Dear Master Cecil,

1. thank you for your answer. I think it makes sense!

Then I will build a real roof above the kitchen and give some ventilation.

Just curious, is the roof frame in the picture above considered as beams? Because it supports the whole roof, not just decoration.

2. I actually posted a question about clothes line in you post here: 

I would like to place the clothes line in the same room as the kitchen, just like in the picture.

My thought is, since it's clean clothes that are going to be hung there, it doesn't bring negative impacts (?). And I will put a curtain/partition anyway so that the clothes line is not seen directly from the kitchen.

What's your opinion about this?

• Staff
1 hour ago, Dwieno said:

Dear Master Cecil,

1. thank you for your answer. I think it makes sense!

Then I will build a real roof above the kitchen and give some ventilation.

Just curious, is the roof frame in the picture above considered as beams? Because it supports the whole roof, not just decoration.

2. I actually posted a question about clothes line in you post here: 

I would like to place the clothes line in the same room as the kitchen, just like in the picture.

My thought is, since it's clean clothes that are going to be hung there, it doesn't bring negative impacts (?). And I will put a curtain/partition anyway so that the clothes line is not seen directly from the kitchen.

What's your opinion about this?

image.png.7db7ccda997f3b9780df7ddc58994348.png

"I should remember to leave more plates, utensils and other cooking items to collect such wonderful Ajinomoto! - Not available elsewhere!"

Oh dear!

My thoughts are not so much of visibility issue. But rather health considerations.

This is because to us clean clothes are hung. I am more concerned with the residue from soap powder or detergents used to wash the clothings.

One cloth nevermind. But many clothings + many days, many years... hopefully the unseen residue from the washed clothing, no matter how clean may still have detergent residue. Got it, get it?

Of course, the consequence is that the food may taste extra special with added ingredients.

But personally, I don't ever want e.g. a washing machine next to my kitchen stove, utensils etc... also.

P.S. It is just like the recent case of a Singapore MP suddenly discovered when he spelt the Vice President of US name KAMALA Harris spelt backwards! Oh Dear ALAMAK! Nasi Lemak -:)

Again it has more to do with Common Sense then Feng Shui .. if in the long term... touch wood family members kena ... some form of ... CAN_ _ R.

• Staff

You wrote: "Just curious, is the roof frame in the picture above considered as beams? Because it supports the whole roof, not just decoration."

1. Under Feng Shui real beams are suppose to have a "compression" directly below it from a FS point of view.

2. Look here. even if it is a REAL load bearing beam.. I believe no one will be glued directly below it for extended hours. Unless we live in North Korea and the dear leader KIM blah..blah... force a person to stand below it for prolonged hours.

If not, what is the worry?

• 1 year later...