About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Divorce among Chinese people

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Anon,
In the past, arranged marriages are very common. Couples were even paired up as young as 12 years and below.
From my personal opinion, I have seen many cases of arranged marriages that are successful. I have yet to see any ended in divorce (so far). Perhaps, because, divorce is a `taboo' and a `shame'.
In the past, even if the wife was severely beaten or `ill' treated by (more so by their in-laws) she still patiently `waits' or attends to her husband.
Nowadays, as more and more Chinese ladies enter the workforce, are pretty modernized and the divorce rate can match the statistics of any other western countries.
More...
For the Chinese, usually when the girl marries the man, she has to `marry in' to her husband's family. And with extended family, her life thus would also depend on the treatment of her mother-in-laws.
For the Malays (who are usually muslims), it is different. When a Malay girl gets married, her husband moves in with the wife's family. Perhaps, this way, because of she lives with her own mother, she would usually not face the above.
I am not saying that all Chinese girls are `ill treated' by their in-laws, but there are some who are less fortunate.
Nowadays, many would rather stay on their own.
Warmest Regards,
Cecil

On 4/1/00 2:49:00 PM, Anonymous wrote:
Dear cecil,
Since most marriages among
chinese people are arranged by
their elders. Does that mean
there is no divorce among
chinese people. Thanks.

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net