Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link
 
Sign in to follow this  
lightsong

How do you choose an auspicious Name?

Recommended Posts


Hi Robert,
In one of the discussions in the free advice conference, Cecil mentioned that his brother was lacking the water element, so he was given a name with the word water as one of the characters.
I am a weak water and would like to know where I could find information on how to choose an auspicious Chinese name for myself.
Thanks,
Cheui may

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sponsored Link
 

Dear Cheui May,
The two major principles of name choosing in Chinese are:
1. Choosing names according to the number of strokes in each character.
There are several methods. One method is based on the 64 hexagrams multiplied by 6 = 384 base number.
Another method is based on + or - or Yin or Yang.
2. A more simplistic method is based on Phonetic sound-like. I mentioned that my elder brother was found to have lacked `water' element. Thus, a phonetic sound-like "Chwee" (Hokkien for `Shui' or water was added to his last name to `provide' him with more water.
This is by far the most common method of adding the element to a name.
3. If one searched hard enough in Taiwan, Hong Kong or in my country one can easily find a book which has a `vocabuary' of `better' Chinese names. Each character can be divided into one of the Five Elements.
Thus one can first find a good name i.e. a good name in terms of significane or meaning - for example: Bright Dragon and then check this `dictionary' to see which element each of the name has.
Warmest Regards,
Cecil

Quote
On 9/12/00 3:28:00 AM, Anonymous wrote:
Hi Robert,
In one of the discussions in
the free advice conference,
Cecil mentioned that his
brother was lacking the water
element, so he was given a
name with the word water as
one of the characters.
I am a weak water and would
like to know where I could
find information on how to
choose an auspicious Chinese
name for myself.
Thanks,
Cheui may


Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Cecil,
Is the phonetic method of changing a name as effective as the other more complicated methods? And do they have these Chinese name changing books in English? This does sound like a ridiculous question since I plan to change my Chinese name. Maybe doing it phonetically is the only way.
Cheui May

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear Cheui May,
Ideally, since you are a Chinese, you can as a guide:
1. Do not `touch' your Chinese Surname or given name.
2. Since your Chinese name has three characters:
" Cheui ";
" May and
" Heui " you should continue to have a three character name and not reduce it to TWO characters.
3. Since you are lacking water, you can use the Chinese character (in romanized Chinese as ` Shui ').
In the English translation, you need not necessaryily use " Shui " but use the name based on the phonetic sound of your Chinese dialect group. For example, a Chinese Hokkien can use " Chwee " rather use the word " Shui " which is a Mandarin word.
4. If one lacks `water' element, avoid having the name with two `water' elements such as Shui Shui. This is usually not advisable as it may seem that your name may become unbalanced with too much water.
This is the same for other elements.
Warmest Regards,
Cecil

Quote
On 9/14/00 11:28:00 PM, Anonymous wrote:
Hi Cecil,
Is the phonetic method of
changing a name as effective
as the other more complicated
methods? And do they have
these Chinese name changing
books in English? This does
sound like a ridiculous
question since I plan to
change my Chinese name. Maybe
doing it phonetically is the
only way.
Cheui May


Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear Cecil,
Thank you for the clear directions. There is one area I would like clarification. You mentioned not to use Shui Shui because that will unbalance my name with too much water which raises another question.
I was thinking of changing it to silver water or Ngun Shui Heui. That would add metal to make more water, but since I already have 37 percent metal in my pillars of Destiny Chart, would adding silver to my name unbalance it also?
Cheui May

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear Cheui May,
Yes, since you have quite a large amount of `metal' in your Pillars of Destiny, it would not be adviseable to use `silver' with water.
You can:
Method 1:-
1. Try to find which element that you are lacking and see if there are any `auspicious' sounding words /meaning /significance attached to the name.
Method 2:-
2. Use `Shui' but try to add a good meaning in your name.
For example, for intelligence, `Bright' - Kwan or `Dragon' - Loong. These names are choosen more for clever, intelligent, brave...
Alternatively, for wealth, look for names that can make you prospher...
I believe Method 2 (above) is simplier to follow where a name is associated with a good meaning and the addition of `Shui' compensates for the `lack' of water. It is my opinion that the significant meaning of the name can outweigh the element that is choosen. (Other than for `shui' = water).
Warmest Regards,
Cecil

Quote
On 9/25/00 4:08:00 AM, Anonymous wrote:
Dear Cecil,
Thank you for the clear
directions. There is one area
I would like clarification.
You mentioned not to use Shui
Shui because that will
unbalance my name with too
much water which raises
another question.
I was thinking of changing it
to silver water or Ngun Shui
Heui. That would add metal to
make more water, but since I
already have 37 percent metal
in my pillars of Destiny
Chart, would adding silver to
my name unbalance it also?
Cheui May


Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...