About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Garden questions

suda

Dear Cecil,
Thanks a lot for your reply re. conflicting directions re. the garden at the back of my house. Except some things in the garden do not match up to what you said.
You said not to choose trees which will throw too large a shade. There are such trees already growing; now I cannot do anything about them. In fact, one is right outside my bedroom window, but all the trees are about 20 ft. away from the bldg. so does it matter? Although, their shadows already fall in the bldg. compound in the morning.
You also said the trees should be properly spaced out. But because of a severe rodent problem, I had to keep shifting the trees and now the spaces between them are uneven, some 10 ft, some 8 ft, some 15 ft.
Is the above a real problem? I thought of rectifying the space with small flowering shrubs in between, but would that lead to clutter??
Also, please clarify on the following or I am going to look at that garden and keep wondering!
# I keep reading about not having white flower trees in the E & SE - this garden has them. They are also tall, not low level.
# This garden has a building each on 3 sides. Does there have to be an even number of trees near each bldg. and around the whole garden? The trees behind my bldg - the big ones number 9, and adding a small shrub total 10.
If I add more shrubs as I mentioned above, how would it affect?
Maybe I am fretting too much but it would help to know what points to keep in mind re. a garden and flowers, colours et al, and I think you give the most sensible advice. So please please do reply in detail.
Thanks in advance and regards.

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Anon,
It is certainly good indeed that you took the effort to clarify.
As most of us know, each situation would differ and that there is usually no `hard and fast' rule. And two way communication is great.
Please see below:-

On 12/19/2001 6:15:00 AM, Anonymous wrote:
Dear Cecil,
Thanks a lot for your reply
re. conflicting directions re.
the garden at the back of my
house. Except some things in
the garden do not match up to
what you said.
You said not to choose trees
which will throw too large a
shade. There are such trees
already growing; now I cannot
do anything about them. In
fact, one is right outside my
bedroom window, but all the
trees are about 20 ft. away
from the bldg. so does it
matter? Although, their
shadows already fall in the
bldg. compound in the morning.

Yes, I was referring to sites or land area where the trees are `pretty' close to the buildings or houses. Trees such as 5 to 10 feet away.
But in your case, it is quite far away at 20 or more feet.

You also said the trees should
be properly spaced out. But
because of a severe rodent
problem, I had to keep
shifting the trees and now the
spaces between them are
uneven, some 10 ft, some 8 ft,
some 15 ft.
Is the above a real problem? I
thought of rectifying the
space with small flowering
shrubs in between, but would
that lead to clutter??

This is OK. Overall, I am an expert on trees or plants. But, I noticed that usually when majority of them grow larger i.e. within 3 to 5 years, (SOME) of these trees can get quite large and planting them within short distances may not be ideal. But planting them greater than 8 feet looks fine to me.

Also, please clarify on the
following or I am going to
look at that garden and keep
wondering!
# I keep reading about not
having white flower trees in
the E & SE - this garden has
them. They are also tall, not
low level.

In my opinion, I would be happy if the trees flower! Some people may find `white' not an ideal colour i.e. to some pink, red or other colours are considered more auspicious. But personally, in my home, I do have lovely in fact two plants (both flowering white flowers) and they are scented and have lovely smell. To me, this is perfectly OK.

# This garden has a building
each on 3 sides. Does there
have to be an even number of
trees near each bldg. and
around the whole garden? The
trees behind my bldg - the big
ones number 9, and adding a
small shrub total 10.
If I add more shrubs as I
mentioned above, how would it
affect?

As you had mentioned earlier, asthetics or since you have a large back yard, frankly, the number of trees (to me is not that crucial). However, some people prefer even numbers. But, I find this may not be too practical.
It is like a person rearing fishes. Some people prefer to have 8 or 9 fishes (In Cantonese - Eight stands for Fortune and Nine stands for longevity. But in reality, it is sometimes hard to monitor the number of fishes. We can do it but, sometimes, we may have more important engagements. What if some of the fishes die? And we may not replenish them so soon.
For plants or trees, so long as they can grow healthy, this is a good sign. Some trees do die in the process and we can keep planting new ones.

Maybe I am fretting too much
but it would help to know what
points to keep in mind re. a
garden and flowers, colours et
al, and I think you give the
most sensible advice. So
please please do reply in
detail.
Thanks in advance and regards.

I hope, I have answered your questions adequately. If not, feel free to write in again.
Warmest Regards,
Cecil Lee

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net