About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Is a Stove-island and floor-heat good?

Vincent

Hi!
Two things here in Sweden seems to be new in interiors; and I am curious what you fine Feng-Shui people have to say about them.
The first is called "stove-island" in direct translation from swedish, and is exactly what it sounds like; namely having the stove standing alone in the middle of the kitchen floor in a small bench for pots and similar. Naturally with the same ventilation as if its in the wall. The rest of the kitchen is traditional, with sink and kitchen benches along the walls. Is this good or bad feng-shui?
The second is having the heating of the house put into the floor - either watercarried or by electricity. This means of course you are walking on either running water or electric currency, which I am curious of about how healthy that is?
Best!
-Anon

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Vincent,
Thanks for sharing with us the information about the placement of stoves in Sweden. Yes, infact, I have come across this when a few readers e-mailed me about it quite sometime back.

On 1/22/99 4:29:42 PM, Anonymous wrote:
Hi!
Two things here in Sweden
seems to be new in interiors;
and I am curious what you fine
Feng-Shui people have to say
about them.
The first is called
"stove-island" in direct
translation from swedish, and
is exactly what it sounds
like; namely having the stove
standing alone in the middle
of the kitchen floor in a
small bench for pots and
similar. Naturally with the
same ventilation as if its in
the wall. The rest of the
kitchen is traditional, with
sink and kitchen benches along
the walls. Is this good or bad
feng-shui?

In Feng Shui, we normally try to avoid placing the stove in the middle of the kitchen and this is not practised in China. Most of the stoves are located on a wall.
I guess, since this is quite a `standard' in Sweden, it should be ok because Feng Shui taboo is to avoid the stove next to the sink or the refrigerator. In this case if the stove is in the middle, it will definetly not `clash' with the sink.
The only other consideration under Traditional Feng Shui practice is that the knobs of the stove should face a certain location i.e. inside the house (when you look facing the main entrance door).

The second is having the
heating of the house put into
the floor - either
watercarried or by
electricity. This means of
course you are walking on
either running water or
electric currency, which I am
curious of about how healthy
that is?

I am not sure if the purpose is to contain the heat into the house and if it is; this would be good practice for cold countries.
Some Feng Shui Masters equate electricity to the " Water element ". Therefore, if a person's Pillars of Destiny is considered " Weak Water ", the running water or electric current would be beneficial to the person.
Alternatively, under the 5 elements concept, Water support Wood and if the person is considered a " Weak Wood " person, the water or electricity running below the floor would benefit this person.
If another person is considered a " Strong Fire " element person, it would beneficial to have addition of the water element to `cool him down".
In the above instances, you can see that for some people, it is needed beneficial to have electricity / water under the floor.

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

• 19 years later...
  • Staff

"In Feng Shui, we normally try to avoid placing the stove in the middle of the kitchen and this is not practised in China. Most of the stoves are located on a wall."

And also based on pure common sense especially with the use of gas stoves:

"Windy conditions can either flame-out the stove-fire or blow it to the direction of the user or someone walking into the kitchen. One can say that when one cooks, have to close all the windows that may affect the stove is a possible solution."