About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

4 Celestial Creatures

myfs_77813

Hello, Cecil!
I want to follow the correct placement of the 4 celestial creatures. However, the locations of these 4 animals - Crimson Phoenix, White Tiger, Turtle, and Green Dragon seem to be confusing because under the traditional Feng Shui, South is facing the main door - and it says that the Green Dragon is in the East (higher than the White Tiger)and White tiger is in the West.The Feng Shui that I have been analyzing is the one with North facing the main door. Please advice me of the proper direction placement.
Fely

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Fely,
1. Several years back, I had elaborated on the 4 celestial creatures or simply the "Four Symbolic Animals".
2. In fact, there are several perspective at looking into the Concept of the Four Celestial Creatures or the Four Symbolic Animals. I shall use the short form as FSA (stands for Four Symbolic Animals.)
3. The First Perspective is of a "SYMBOLIC" nature. This is why; it is known as the Four Symbolic Animals.
4. In many societies; the saying goes: "A picture tells a thousand words".
5. What better way to understand a concept is via symbolism or a picture of:
5.1 The FRONTAGE
Where possible, we should imagine that the frontage should have clear space. Much like a bird (Phoenix) flying freely in front.
This is good, because, if there is clear space i.e. for a landed property either a flat piece of land or a water position such as a pond - would mean that nothing else can be built above it. Thus "Clear space".
5.2 The SOLID BACK e.g. similar to the profile of tortise
Here, the picture is that preferably, the back of the home or site should have a solid back.
5.3 The Green Dragon and the White Tiger
In this pictorial representation; if we are facing the frontage; we should always consider the dragon is on the left and the tiger on the right side.
6. Thus, we dont' care whether where the house is or compass direction is; this is one way of looking at a pictorial representation of a home.
7. Under this PICTORIAL representation; we cannot fool hardly consider that the Phoenix must be at the South and the tortise MUST be at the North.
8. This is because, today, Feng Shui is International. In the past, agree that the model under Para 7 applies to China (Northern hemisphere).
8.1 This is where, it is always preferred to have the frontage of a home face South. To avoid the yellow dust and cold winds blowing from the North. For example, in Beijing, China, this idea applies.
9. Another PERSPECTIVE is from the Compass School point-of-view.
9.1. I hope that you have now understand that from Para 1 to 8, I am relating the FSA to a pictorial representation. An easy to understand model - that most of us can relate to.
9.2 Under the Compass School of Feng Shui, the difference lies in the idea that based on true cardinal (compass points):
Compass direction
East = Green dragon (Wood)
West = White tiger (Metal)
North = Black tortise (Water)
South = Phoenix (bird) (Fire)
and in-fact, there is another symbol i.e. the Yellow snake which is the centrepoint representing Earth element.
10. Thus, before one applies the Dragon, Tiger, Tortise, Phoenix or FSA concept, do ask the question: Is one trying to apply it from a PICTORIAL perspective? OR from a Compass School perspective?
Note: Earlier, I used the terms Green Dragon, White Tiger, Black tortise and Red phoenix under the pictorial representation. In fact, to further reduce confusion; on applying the 4 FSA; one should take out the colour since this colour association is more relevant to the Compass School Feng Shui; as opposed to the Shapes and Forms representation of the FSA.
Where under the compass school;
Green = East
White = West
Black = Norh
Red = South etc...
11. Under the compass school Feng Shui, East is truly based on compass direction East; West is west etc...
12. Under Traditional Feng Shui, the most effective use of the external pictorial representation is the search for good sites in a VIRGIN land. In a virgin land, it would be great for example to see (visually) see a dragon formation or hill in gentle embrace with the tiger.
13. Therefore, the 4 FSA can either be a representative of the Shapes and Forms School (pictorial representation) or Compass School Feng Shui.
14. Often, the Compass School Feng Shui is more effectively used looking at or focusing on a site, the building and interior.
15. While, the Shapes and Forms persective (pictorial representation) is far more effective used on the external front.
16. Like the modern warfare plane; the pictorial representation or Shapes and Forms is like the modern long range radar system. While the Compass School interpretation is akin to the shorter range, close proximity radar system.
17. Frankly, Feng Shui is not a mystery; but rather based on commonsense and good fundamentals.
Warmest Regards,
Cecil

On 9/26/2003 11:01:16 AM, Anonymous wrote:
Hello, Cecil!

I want to

follow the correct placement
of the 4 celestial creatures.
However, the locations of
these 4 animals - Crimson
Phoenix, White Tiger, Turtle,
and Green Dragon seem to be
confusing because under the