About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Renovating while pregnant

myfs_97800

I just had a quick question. We are fairly avid followers of Feng Shui and to some extent Chinese cultural beliefs as well. We are looking to do some renovating in our home (replacing carpet with hardwood floors, re tiling the kitchen) but I am currently pregnant. A coworker advised me that under feng shui it is extremely bad to make changes like this while pregnant as it disrupts the energy flow in your home and can lead to complications with the pregnancy or with the baby itself.
I have never heard this before, and have not been able to find anything about it since our conversations, however the coworker's family still lives in China and practices feng shui much more strictly than we do, so I am tempted to belief her.
Can you offer any information on this topic?
Thank you!

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Maggie,
1. Yes, what you had described is a Chinese cultural belief or taboo.
2. And, many Chinese fear of repercussions such as not only complications but - the concern of a miscarriage.
3. This is especially so for the bed. For example, once pregnant, the Chinese believe that one must not shift or relocate the bed (on which the pregnant person sleeps on).
4. Even if one needs to move house; for example, NO CHOICE because they had sold the house before delivery, the pregnant person must avoid seeing the event i.e. moving her bed etc....
5. As for the renovations in the kitchen, the stove is a major concern also. And where possible try not to remove the stove etc...
6. In fact, better safe than sorry. When pregnant, more importantly, the bed - should not be moved. As a last resort, some have bought new beds.
7. For example, a couple could be staying in their parents home prior to moving to their own. Here, either the pregnant person, stays in this house until she gives birth and for the 1st month after giving birth.
8. Alternatively, she does not participate or see any of the move of furniture to the new home. Alternatively she buys a new bed for her new home. And (do not see it installed). And move over.
9. Some other interesting points:
9.1. Do you know that traditionally the Chinese consider that when one first come out of the world he/she is already 1 year old!
9.2 This is because, the first 9 months in the womb is considered. Thus, when we check our birthday, in the western calendar, it could be "I am 5 years old". But traditionally the Chinese could say that their child is "6 years old".
9.3 Note: this does not affect the way the Chinese calculate ba zi. They still caculate based on the Lunar Calendar system. But for the Hong Kongers often, for convenience, they use the Hsia Li.
10. The Chinese couple often celebrates the 1st month after the child is born by giving away e.g. red eggs, and cakes.
11. This is because, the 1st month is very important and if a child pass thru this 1st month, hopefully, there is no issue on health etc...
12. Many Chinese prefer to wrap or cloth their child during and after this period. And often do not allow their bodies to remain unclothed.
Warmest Regards,
Cecil

On 11/6/2003 5:27:42 AM, Anonymous wrote:
I just had a quick question.
We are fairly avid followers
of Feng Shui and to some
extent Chinese cultural
beliefs as well. We are
looking to do some renovating
in our home (replacing carpet
with hardwood floors, re
tiling the kitchen) but I am