About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Slope up or down - which is better?

myfs_106071

Dear Master Lee:

Thank you so much for your quick response to my previous question.

We're back to house hunting again. My realtor showed us two houses today:

1) Woodrose house: this house sits on a parallel street leading toa cul-de-sac so I guess it's not affected by the cul-de-sac. It backs to open space (which we like),but it sits at the bottom ofa smallhill, and its back slopedUPWARD so the builder had to build a little retaining wall in the backyard to keep water from heavy rainabove the hillto flood the backyard. This house faces Southwest. My husband is concerned that if the rain is heavy, it might get into the basement. Is this sloping upward in the back good or bad feng shui?

2) Gold-dust house: this house is on a through street (vs. dead-end). My husband likes this house because it backs to large open space with panoramic view of the rocky mountains(therefore, its view is better than the woodrose house). However, it slightly slopedDOWNWARD in the back with a walkout basement. This house faces South. My husband thinks that we will not have to worry about water coming into the basement with the sloping down in the back, but I told him it'salso bad feng shui. Woulda 6 foot high retainingfencein the backyard neutralize the badness of the down slope?

Thank you very much in advance, Master Lee.

Respectfully yours,

Pam

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Pam,

Please see below:-

Generally, based on your description - i.e. comparision between these two homes, I would say your description of the gold-dust or the second home seems better:-

On 9/9/2004 9:34:58 PM, Anonymous wrote:

Dear Master Lee:

Thank you so much for your

quick response to my previous

question.

We're back to house hunting

again. My realtor showed

us two houses today:

1) Woodrose house:

this house sits on a parallel

street leading toa

cul-de-sac so I guess it's not

affected by the

cul-de-sac. It backs to

open space (which we

like),but it sits at the

bottom ofa

smallhill, and its back

slopedUPWARD so the

builder had to build a little

retaining wall in the backyard

to keep water from heavy

rainabove the

hillto flood the

backyard. This house

faces Southwest. My

husband is concerned that if

the rain is heavy, it might

get into the basement.

Is this sloping upward in the

back good or bad feng shui?

Usually, in Feng Shui, a home with a backing like this is good. But, based on commonsense approach to Feng Shui, like you had mentioned, heavy rain is a major concern for this specific home.

Under commonsense approach to Feng Shui, also, this is quite rare, but -- remotely, if something do go wrong such as a land slide, then, such a home is not ideal. Land slide may never happen here, but there is always a remote possibility that cannot be discounted.

2) Gold-dust

house: this house is on

a through street (vs.

dead-end).

This seemsgood.

My husband

likes this house because it

backs to large open space with

panoramic view of the rocky

mountains(therefore, its

view is better than the

woodrose house).

Most likely, if you have a patio or if your living room or family rooms are located here, this could actually be the frontage of the home.

That is to say, when one drive-up to the main entrance, this could literally become the back of the home.

However, it slightly

slopedDOWNWARD in the

back with a walkout

basement. This house

faces South.

slightly sloping slope is not a major issue.

Under the water classics, Feng Shui, it is equally important to find out where is the drainage of the property. If possible, drains existing the home (at the back or at this area) should not be seen i.e. water drainage at the point where it leaves the property should not be seen e.g. covered up at that point.

My

husband thinks that we will

not have to worry about water

coming into the basement with

the sloping down in the back,

but I told him it'salso

bad feng shui.

Woulda 6 foot high

retainingfencein

the backyard neutralize the

badness of the down slope?

As mentioned above, if this side becomes the frontage of the home, a high retaining wall or fence is not necessary if it blocks the view or air coming into the property.

But, do take note that if the property is "pretty" exposed e.g. on a hill with barren land or not trees (a distance away) to shade this side of the home, I am not sure how much direct wind that is blowing to the property.

Another sha qi or not favourable aspect of a home is to make sure that it is not exposed to elements - or "gale force" or strong winds. The wind coming to the property should in most cases, be "gentle type" as opposed to continous strong winds. Hope, you can understand what I mean, here.

Warmest Regards,
Cecil

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net