About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

magnetic north versus true/geographical north

myfs_92790

Dear Cecil,
Please kindly solve my confusion regarding the magnetic north and true north. What is the magnetic variation between this two? It's easy to determine the facing direction of a completed house from compass reading but it is hard to do so if a house is still on planning stage' i.e if a house has to be purchased from developer who normally displays the geographical north on the site/location plan. What is the compass reading (in terms of degrees) of a house that is facing the true or geographical north in Malaysia (K.L)? Thank you for your precious time.
Best regards,
Meei-Jinn

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Meei Jinn,
Often if you are close to the equator, I personally find that the geographical North often coincides with the magnetic North.
For a layperson, one often use a hiking compass. It still points to the magnetic north. For us, we often use a higher grade compass like the Suunto or other better brands.
This is because; the higher professional compass often are "balanced" to a specific zone. For example,the Suunto brand categorise the world into 5 different compass zones. Northern hemisphere which includes Canada/North America falls under Zone 1 etc...
But one is not expected to buy this type of compass.
From my personal analysis; if you are in Singapore, more likely the magnetic vs geographic north are similar. The only thing to watch out is: if your home is above a power station or close to it. This may change the magnetic compass point to 10 to 20 degrees diviation. And this has to be considered, when accessing such a home.
In Malaysia, (KL); often the geographic north vs magnetic north is in my opinion within tolerable limits. If one applies Flying Star Feng Shui; often there is sufficient allowance of 15degrees - variance (that sway) the reading from one sector to another. (Flying Star compass directions are based on 24 specific directions - every 15 degrees)
Warmest Regards,
Cecil

On 9/2/2003 7:22:24 AM, Anonymous wrote:
Dear Cecil,
Please kindly solve my
confusion regarding the
magnetic north and true north.
What is the magnetic variation
between this two? It's easy to
determine the facing direction
of a completed house from
compass reading but it is hard