About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

100 birds

myfs_100950

Dear Master Cecil Lee

What is the meaning of 100 birds? I have a brush painting of 8 birdsdone by mydaughter. Is it adviceable not to place at the dining hall. I was told its not adviceable to place at the living room, dining and doors or entrance of the door. And it best to place it in the bedroom.Is it true.Exclamation

Thank you

With warmest regards

Sophia Chia

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Sophia,

There are generally three meanings associated with birds:-

1. Longevity

Paintings usually with white birds signify longevity. And thus one of the connotation can mean that "100 birds signify living to" guess what age? 100 years!

Imagine! even by today's standard, living to a ripe age of81 or 91 years canalready be difficult for majority of us. Not say until 100!

Thus, I strongly believe, a painting with 100 birds (usually whitecoloured bird such as cranessimply signify this.

2. The Phoenix

2.1 In many traditional wedding cards; one can find a motif on the invitation card with a Phoenix and dragon motif. The phoenix represents (female - bird or yin), while the dragon motif signifies a male(dragon or yang)

2.2 Frankly, a brush painting of 8 birds has no specific significance. In my previous message(s) in this forum, I had advised not to place a painting or picture of birds in the dining area - especially overlooking the dining table. Here, it is symbolic of birds, flying in to peck the food on our dining table.

3. This third significance can sound quite crude but this is unfortunately the fact. The phonetic sound-like in mandarin for bird or "niao" is the male genital i.e. penis. Thus, it would certainly not sound nice to have a painting that symbolises " 8 penis".

Thus often, paintings of birds other than white crane which synifies longevity are used.

Otherwise, if one often sees Chinese paintings - seldom do we see great details drawn of birds i.e. in blown up versions. Usually if we do see paintings with birds, they are just part of the scenery! And not the main objects. Unlike the paintings of koi / carp / horses etc...

Apologies for writing above, Para 3, if one is or has been embarassed by the above. It remains a fact and take it as "education" and not other "dirty" things (or imagination)...

Warmest Regards,
Cecil

On 1/29/2005 8:38:04 PM, Anonymous wrote:

Dear Master Cecil Lee

What is the meaning of 100

birds? I have a brush painting

of 8 birdsdone by

mydaughter. Is it

adviceable not to place at the

dining hall. I was told its

not adviceable to place at the

living room, dining and doors