About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

living room and dining room

myfs_100950

Dear Robert Lee

Need your advice, asliving room have to be heigher then dining area but I intend to place the dining area in the kitchen so that the hall can be place as study area for kids.Can the living area be the same level with the dining area if I were to make the flooring in the kitchen. Flooring build up wood. Is it ok. Or should living roomflooring heigher then the dining area and the kitchen flooring lower.

At present, the living and dining sharing the same hall and kitchen area the space is spacious. As most apartment in HDB kitchen is sospacious and I don't need the kitchen to be so spacious. Please give your suggestion before wedo the flooring.

Thank you as always.

With warmest regards

Sophia Chia

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Sophia,

It all depends on the interior layout plan.

Actually, for those living in a landed property, often, the frontage of the home would be the living room area and "behind" it is the diningarea. Thus for landed properties, more often, the diningarea is higher than the living room. And not the other way as mentioned, below.

This is quite common because, most of the time, "clear-space" should be at the"frontage" and the back of the home should be higher. Thus,generally, without taking intoother considerations,for landed properties, there may be a concern if theliving room is higher than the dining area. This would suggest that there is a "mountain" at the frontage (living room area), instead.

If it is an apartment,generally especially HDB (Housing board apartments),often these units aresmalli.e.most of the units are now less than 1,500 sq feet. And under commonsense approach to Feng Shui, it does not make sense to raise e.g. the dining area or the living room area. If so, there may bedeep concern for family members such as the elderly or children walking to and fro the living room to the dining to the bedrooms etc...

Having elevated flooring may inadvertently cause family members to fall or hurt themselves in many instances.

Furthermore, also under commonsense approach to Feng Shui, considerations like unable to clean and wash floors if wood is used to raise the flooring. Household mites, ants etc.. could invade these areas ....

Warmest Regards,
Cecil

Sophia Chia wrote:
Need your advice, asliving room have to be heigher then dining area but I intend to place the dining area in the kitchen so that the hall can be place as study area for kids.Can the living area be the same level with the dining area if I were to make the flooring in the kitchen. Flooring build up wood. Is it ok. Or should living roomflooring heigher then the dining area and the kitchen flooring lower.

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net