About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Whis is my main entrance: front door/back door?

mcmk

Hello Cecil,
I hope you can give me advice on this problem: About a year ago we bought a home by the fjord. The land slopes unevenly down from the dirt road toward the sea, creating on its way 5 'plateaus' on which the land levels out, only to gently (and sometimes not so gently) slope down again to the next plateau. Our parking space is on the first plateau - levelling with the dirt road, our main house is situated on the 'third', - middle - plateau from the dirt road, and the beach is the fifth plateau. Our main door faces West - leading us up toward the dirt road. However, once inside the cabin, our 'panorama view' faces East - toward the sea and the distant lands. In trying to analyze the layout of our main cabin, I keep getting stuck on the fact that although I would like to consider East as our 'front', our main door actually is to the west - and there is no denying that. According to the Form School Feng Shui - I should be in serious trouble. Which I don't feel... I have considered actually closing off that door and using our back door (to the East) as our main door - but concluded that that won't work. It is truly frustrating to get stuck on something as primary as for example categorizing the cabin as an East-Group or West-group house. I would greatly appreciate any advice that could guide me in making the right choices on these categorizations.

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Mette,
Thanks for your detailed description of your home.
I can certainly understand the problem faced by you in determing which is your front door. Worse still when it is determine, it really sounds and feel not right.
In your case, we should try to apply another concept based on the facing direction of the front house.
Let not determing the `front' or main entrance deter you.
In your case, lets `forget' the actual main door or back door for the moment.
Where is the frontage of your house?
Here, you should consider the location where light goes into the house. It can be a window.
For your special case, is there a window as I mentioned above where light flows thru or looks like the frontage of the house? If there is a door at this location, then it should be your main entrance door. If not, you can take the subsitute window as the main entrance door.
Perhaps, you can feedback on the above and whether it can apply to your situation before, we go further to determine the `frontage' of the house rather than the main entrance door.
Under this concept, the `frontage' " replaces " the main entrance door.
One method of using this concept is to place the house number above the window.
For those who have changed or use alternative doors, it would be best to place the house number on this door or above this door. To symbollically make this the `front door'. (You can still leave the house number on the other door).
Warmest Regards,
Cecil

On 10/16/99 6:01:54 AM, Anonymous wrote:
Hello Cecil,
I hope you can give me advice
on this problem: About a year
ago we bought a home by the
fjord. The land slopes
unevenly down from the dirt
road toward the sea, creating
on its way 5 'plateaus' on
which the land levels out,
only to gently (and sometimes
not so gently) slope down
again to the next plateau. Our
parking space is on the first
plateau - levelling with the
dirt road, our main house is
situated on the 'third', -
middle - plateau from the dirt
road, and the beach is the
fifth plateau. Our main door
faces West - leading us up
toward the dirt road. However,
once inside the cabin, our
'panorama view' faces East -
toward the sea and the distant
lands. In trying to analyze
the layout of our main cabin,
I keep getting stuck on the
fact that although I would
like to consider East as our
'front', our main door
actually is to the west - and
there is no denying that.
According to the Form School
Feng Shui - I should be in
serious trouble. Which I don't
feel... I have considered
actually closing off that door
and using our back door (to
the East) as our main door -
but concluded that that won't
work. It is truly frustrating
to get stuck on something as
primary as for example
categorizing the cabin as an
East-Group or West-group
house. I would greatly
appreciate any advice that
could guide me in making the
right choices on these
categorizations.

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Dear Cecil,
thank you for your response. I do feel that the natural front ('frontage?) of my house is toward the East. I have a panorama view here over the sea and a door that leads out to the balcony. Every morning the sun rises directly to fill our whole house with light. The land in front of this door also slants down and toward a garden and finally the beach. However, I know it won't work to use this door as a main door, as it would mean walking around the house every time we want to exit and enter. However, when inside, I do basically feel that East is the front. Is it therefore, as you mentioned - possible to consider this the front of the house when attempting to do analysis? Could this be considered a West-Group house?
- Mette Cheng Munthe-Kaas (mcmk)