About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Back Exit

myfs_88310

Dear Master Cecil:

I am taught that a house should have an exit besides the front door. Whereshould this exit be?

On the same level (main level)where my front door is, I have an exit to the car garage; but this exit is not in the back of the house.

The other exit is at the basement level. And this exit is in the back of the house.

Does my house have proper exits?

Regards,

Jen

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Jen,

From what you have written, there are basically two types of exit:

1. Entry/exits of "convenience"
2. an exit to fullfil a statutory requirement e.g. fire safety

1. Entry/exits of "convenience"
====================

As you have mentioned, often, many have a garage. And for ease of entry and exit to the garage an "exit" or entry door is located in this area towards the home.

In addition, many homes do have a backdoor - to allow human activities at this location e.g. bringing out garbage, hanging or drying clothes etc...

2. an exit to fullfil a statutory requirement e.g. fire safety
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sometimes, an exit has to be built to satisfy a fire safety requirement.

In Feng Shui, especially under Flying star Feng Shui, we have what is known as the "facing" and "sitting" position.

And frankly, under the Flying star Feng Shui, we do not need to literally locate the front door at the facing nor the back door at the sitting position.

More importantly, for most homes, it is always favourable to have windows "all round" the home so that air-flow can circulate througout the home. (Less those staying in regions that often this may be a disadvantage. For example, especially those staying in the northern hemisphere, such as Beijing, it is best to avoid having a back door or window facing north (i.e. the cold winds and yellow dust ).

For a home therefore, we should not purposely create a door just because of or in or under the name of Feng Shui, but rather, do we have a USEFUL need for it? (the exit or door?).

Thus, the saying goes " You live, here we don't!" Our home should be reasonably thoughout -- comfortable, practical to stay in!

Imagine! If a FS practitioner suddenly says "Hey! don't have a garage entry/exit door to the home since " there could be thecar's exhaust". So what do we do? Just because of this,and if our garage is tight, we may have to do a crap-walk (sometimes walk sidewaysdue to the tight space) out of our garage etc... What also, if there is a heavy rain?

The morale of the storey is "to build a home,that is practical, and fits our lifestyle -- most. Rather than built constraints onto ourselves just because of or in the namesake of "Feng Shui".

Under Feng Shui, the major consideration is i.e. the external environment. For example, if our main door or back door is "hit" by a neighour's sharp roof, then we should try to "protect" it.

Warmest Regards,
Cecil

On 7/13/2004 5:02:17 PM, Anonymous wrote:

Dear Master Cecil:

I am

taught that a house should

have an exit besides the front

door. Whereshould

this exit be?

On

the same level (main

level)where my front